Preference for FW Morty and Typhus...

Eire

I do like the new Mortarion and Typhus (Typhon) models, but I am leaning towards using the Forge World instead. Would it be generally accepted to use the Forge World 30k models, as 40k models, instead of the new as long as the bases were similar and they were clearly identifiable on the battlefield? Coming from older editions where FW was generally frowned upon, are others doing this for Death Guard? Have others thought about it?

I'm assuming as long as people knew that they were the models represented on the board, bases were similar, and the WYSIWYG matches the wargear represented with the new characters in the Codex, is it ok to use even in sanctioned tournaments?

As stated, I do like the new Morty, its just so unwieldy and hard to transport...

Thoughts?

Both are noticeably smaller than their 40k equivalents. Typhus/Typhon should be fine, the models and their bases are pretty close (from memory his 30k one is a 40mm and his 40k one is a 50mm), but Daemon Morty is on a 100mm base and absolutely looms over his 30k incarnation. That will actually disadvantage you technically in at least one way, as your aura size will be smaller, but you'll also be harder to see.

Whether it's generally accepted or not, I can't say, that would depend on your area and the kinds of people you play against. I'd say tournaments would enforce the same size base as a requirement at the very least.

Overall, I don't think the stigma for FW is what it used to be, though, so check with your locals

Thanks all. Very appreciated.

I might get both FW models, play with Typhus and use Morty as a Lord of Contagion (and can double use him if I get into 30k), both without their larger bases using the simple 40-50mm ones (whichever they come with from GW).

Guess I'll be getting the new Morty model :)

Yeah can't speak for your usual opponents but I personally and my group would accept the 30k Mortarion only as temporary solution for the 40k Mortarion. The difference is just too big.

True sfPanzer, but this will be my 30k/40k DG army and the FW Typhus is just dripping with awesomeness. Ill put a nurgling or two from Morty's kit on Typhus base too. I had thought about switching the scythe location on the plastic Typhus, but he is 40$ kit and FW Typhus is only a bit more with no conversions. Im sure the community will do wondrous things with the plastic verison

FW's models are laughably tiny now. I wouldn't play against any of them unless they were at minimum brought up to the height of the current models.

I'd play against beakie marines if a dude had a collection. It isn't cool invalidating people's models on the grounds they are too old. 

If it's a whole army it's a different thing imo. Especially if it's an actual 40k army and not a 30k army that just got re-purposed for 40k

I'd play against a re-purposed 30k-40k, I don't care. What an arbitrary line in the sand. In my book, someone that went through all the trouble of building and painting an army of marines can use them. There isn't a rule that bans old minis, and GW has a precedent of allowing old models despite the fact that some are clunky or on strange bases.

As long as the player doesn't have some asinine strategy that revolves around midget marines, that height difference will change virtually nothing.

Precision is severely overrated, and is generally a poor replacement for decorum.

I wouldn't be specifically against playing against such an army but it definitely has the taste of a proxy army when the difference between the miniatures is as huge as between 30k DG+Mortarion and 40k DG+Mortarion ... and nobody likes to play against a proxy army.

This really doesn't have much to do with being able to draw LoS since it's incredibly easy to do so in 8th and even in 7th it had advantages and disadvantages to be bigger/smaller.