The Purgation Crusade

Marshal van Trapp

I'm back, this time with another battle report. Yesterday I played a game against my dark eldar buddy and his semi competitive tourney practice list. I tried out that black tide army that's been floating around and things went as expected.

Black Templar Armylist:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [68 PL, 1236pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Boltgun

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Boltgun

The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 75pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [8 PL, 156pts]: 5x Neophyte w/Combat Knife

. 2x Initiate w/Chainsword

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword

. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Sword Brother: Combi-plasma, Power sword

Crusader Squad [8 PL, 158pts]: 5x Neophyte w/Combat Knife

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power axe

. Sword Brother: Combi-plasma, Power axe

+ Elites +

Cenobyte Servitors [1 PL, 6pts]: 3x Cenobyte Servitor

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 763pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

Lieutenants [4 PL, 60pts]

. Lieutenant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 162pts]: 3x Neophyte w/Boltgun

. 4x Initiate

. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

. Sword Brother: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 162pts]: 3x Neophyte w/Boltgun

. 4x Initiate

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 151pts]: 2x Neophyte w/Boltgun

. 4x Initiate

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 151pts]: 2x Neophyte w/Boltgun

. 4x Initiate

++ Total: [125 PL, 1999pts] ++

Dark Eldar Armylist:

Archon

Succubus

3 kabal squads in raiders with splinter cannon and blasters

1 witch squad in raider

2 ravagers with triple disintegrater

3 talos

Homonculus

10 man reaver squad with 3 blasters

Some weird skimmer with wracks on it?

I'm not 100% what was in his army but that's all the models

Pregame info

We got relic as the mission and long ways spearhead as deployment. I set up all my choppy crusaders in the open and the shooty squads in cover, sprinkling characters where needed. He set up a majority of his army in cover or behind things he couldn't really get shot from behind. I got first turn and he failed to sieze.

Templar turn 1:

All my choppy crusaders and characters advance to close the distance. Shooty squads and characters take up better positions in cover to get total cover and good shot avenues. Fire a couple of shots at his vehicles but do little damage.

Dark Eldar turn 1:

All his vehicles move up into position to try and get good lanes of fire, reavers zoom up to my right flank. Raiders squads kill a few neophytes, reavers kill 2 as well. Ravagers kills a couple more neos and 2 marines. Witch raider is perched over the relic.

Templar Turn 2:

crusaders on right flank move with chaplain to engage reavers. Left flank attempts to engage raiders with kabal warriors. After an abysmal shooting round, one raider has 6 wounds left and I kill 2 reavers. Assault phase goes a bit better with the left flank failing a charge but the right flank smashing into the reavers and taking another 2. After rolling a 5 on their moral, my opponent opted to command reroll and got a 6, losing 3 more bikes. Overall things look ok by this point.

Dark Eldar turn 2:

Things start t ok come undone for me now. Witches advance out of their raider to engage my left flank crusaders, 3 raiders with warriors, ravager, and weird skiff mow down 2 of my choppy squads. Ancient banner allows plasma to liquify one raider and kill a few warriors. Reavers break off and the talos move up to obliterate the choppy squads on my right flank that had engaged the reavers. Archon charges my chaplain, witches and succubus charge remaining choppy on left flank, and their raider charges my shooty squad just to tie it up. Melee ends with no templar choppy standing. At about 50% casualties by this point.

Templar turn 3:

Final choppy squad decides to jump on the relic to try and get something going. Emperors champion, chaplain, ancient, captain, and lieutenant all engage witch squad. Shooty squad decides to remove remaining warriors just to be sure. Turn ends with no witches left standing and succubus with 2 wounds left.

Dark Eldar turn 3:

Talos move up to empty some shots into my right flank shooty squads killing 3 marines. Remaining raiders and ravagers gun down my shooty squads and the last choppy squad holding the relic on the left flank, as well as my remaining chaplain. The emperors champion falls to the succubus. At this point I decided to concede. I had a measly 23 models remaining and with no real way to secure the relic I knew defeat was at hand.

Post-game analysis:

So I had a lot of fun with this game, putting down 107 models made me feel like a proper black templar. I think I can refine this list a bit to tailor it to better fit my style. The ancient was a test choice to see if it'd work but overall I think I'll drop it in favor of more marines.

At this point I can honestly say I dont see the point in giving iniatites power weapons. The ap is wasted on anything but MEQ and I believe even vs MEQ the extra attack would be statistically better. I also believe that if I continue testing this list, I'm going to need something to crack armor, I was thinking trading the plasma in the choppy squads for Melta and possibly dropping 1 shooty squad for a devastator squad armed with missile launchers (I still think they are the most versatile heavy weapon) just to have an anti armor option.

Still not certain on the 7-3 shooty squads, might drop them to 6-4 just for the extra points for elsewhere. The 5-5 choppy squads on the other hand performed exactly as I had hoped so those will stay.

I leave you with an image of the initial grand melee which gave my crusaders much needed zeal!

q8fQHw5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the bat-rep 

I had a similar experience in a 1500 pt game against a green tide of Orks 

Helbrect + Lieutenants provided some excellent buff to chop up a lot of Greenies

but in the end there were just too many and they over ran my position 

it was a fun game, but it was 6th lose playing CC templars :(

we really need some stratagems 

Awesome battle report! Well done trying out the tide.

You are right in your analysis, you need more anti tank in your list. Plasma is good but you cant go wrong with combi melta for cracking tanks. I recommend plasma on the initiate and combi plasma on the sword brother. I dont like putting combi plasma on my sword brothers as much as I cant really risk over charging them. 

I Also think that If you foot slogging melta is Right choice.

I saw somewhere that Chaplain Dread can now take plasma cannon. He is character with less than 10 wounds he has t8 And some aura ability. And he fits in black tide.

I want to play some Tide lists, but I have never played this way, so I'm considering many points.

As said before, a Chaplain Venerable Dread seems nice... It is a character and with its BS2+ it can move and shoot at 3+. He can be surrounded with crusaders, and maybe a Techmarine as support. It is expensive, but if we think the enemy can't shoot him, because the crusaders... he can footslog and shoot every turn at 3+ and rerrolling 1's if we footlog with a Marshal or High Marshal.

• 212p with Twin Lascannon, moving and AT support.
  • 183p aprox with Plasma cannon, moving and Anti-MEQ.

• 5 months later...

I have returned brothers, this time with some more fluff, also linking back into my last battle report.

Darkness and Pain

Darkness and pain. These were the only things Marshal Agustus could perceive, he remembered the Tyranid, and he remembered the battle aboard the hive ship, but everything beyond was just that… Darkness and pain. There were flashes of sensations, he was unsure exactly what was happening but he knew he was in the medicae bay, the scent of the sterile oils penetrated his nostrils. Agustus’s sense of time was gone, he had no idea how long he had been here… days? weeks? years? There was no telling, only darkness and pain…

“Marshal Agustus, can you hear me” the word pierced the darkness. They were familiar but he could not put a face to the voice. I CAN HEAR YOU BROTHER, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I AM. The words came out as though replayed through a vox unit. They did not feel like his words. “You are in the armoury marshal, your attack on the tyranid hive ship was a success, however your body was damaged beyond the apothecarions abilities. Fortunately for you, you were not beyond my ability to repair.” I AM IN A DREADNOUGHT. “Yes marshal, for only in death…” DOES DUTY END. I BELIEVE I SHOULD ADDRESS THE CRUSADE. I AM UNFIT TO CONTINUE LEADING THE CRUSADE IN SUCH A STATE. As he spoke the dreadnought sprung to life, a great golden suit which held all the necessary facilities to bring swift death to the enemies of the imperium. “I shall inform the Castallans marshal.”

MY BROTHERS, WHILE LIFE STILL SUSTAINS ME, I AM RENDERED UNFIT TO LEAD THIS CRUSADE. AS SUCH, IT IS TO YOU TO DECIDE WHO SHALL CONTINUE TO LEAD US AGAINST THE ENEMIES OF THE EMPEROR. His brothers revered him with awe, their marshal, though laid low by the foul xenos, had been reborn by the glory of Mars technology. “While you recovered we had temporarily appointed Castellan Ocelot as acting marshal, it seemed only fit.” AND WHAT SAY YOU OCELOT? ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEAD THIS CRUSADE AGAINST THE ENEMIES OF THE IMPERIUM OF MAN? “If that is the wish of my brothers, then so shall it be. I shall make you proud Marshal Agustus.” BROTHER AGUSTUS, IT IS UNFAIR OF ME TO WEAR A TITLE THAT YOU NOW RIGHTLY DESERVE, MARSHAL OCELOT. “Aye, so shall it be, Venerable Brother Agustus, may you continue to serve in the emperor’s light. Where do we go from here Marshal Ocelot?” “Wherever the light of the Emperor takes us!”

Fury of the Emperor’s Chosen

On the surface of Etrgon Prime

Etrgon Prime was a world in turmoil, the foul xenos known as the Dark Eldar had taken the planet, stealing the populace to fuel their dark rites. The Black Templar of the Purgation Crusade had been the closest astartes to the planet and responded without hesitation.

“Brothers, these foul xenos have taken the planet and plan to leave with its populace. It is our duty as servants of the Emperor to keep his loyal children safe. We shall crush these creatures and save this world!” Marshal Ocelot had roused his warriors into a battle fevor and was poised to crush the xenos menace, but their foul webway gates were already primed and ready to move their slaves. “This is our last chance, if they manage to get into the webway we cannot follow and the slaves they have taken are doomed! We cannot let that happen brothers! FOR THE EMPEROR!” and with that rallying battle cry, the crusade charged.

The battle was hard fought, casualties were high on both sides, but in the end the crusade had failed. The dark eldar retreated through their webway, slaves in toe. Marshal Ocelot had failed, and this weighed heavily upon his mantle.

Actually yeah, I love the character ocelot from the MGS series and decided to borrow the name for my new marshal. Felt it was time for a newcomer to take the reigns of my crusade, well that and I thought it was time to retire my old pro painted models to the display cabinet haha

• 1 year later...

Can't believe I haven't posted since last october! With C:SM 2.0 and Faith and Fury out I've decided to re-evaluate my black templars list a bit and I'm going to be diving back into them again, I picked up some incursors and I'm thinking of going with a heavily primaris focused army with some supporting elements of vanilla marines. I actually have a 1k point Frendlies Tournament tomorrow and I'm going to be trying out a whole new comp for my Templar, C&C welcome on my silly list:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Black Templars, Imperial Fists Successor

Battle-forged CP

Detachment CP

+ HQ +

Chaplain: 4. Mantra of Strength, 6. Canticle of Hate, Ancient Breviary, Boltgun, Jump Pack, Litany of Hate, Strategem: Master of Sanctity

High Marshal Helbrecht: Warlord

+ Troops +

Incursor Squad: 4x Incursor, Incursor Sergeant

Incursor Squad: 4x Incursor, Incursor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifle

. 5x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

+ Elites +

Reiver Squad: Bolt Carbine, Grav Chutes

. 4x Reiver

. Reiver Sergeant

. . Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol

Reiver Squad: Bolt Carbine, Grav Chutes

. 4x Reiver

. Reiver Sergeant

. . Bolt Carbine/Heavy Bolt Pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad: Assault bolter x2, 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad: Plasma incinerator

. 4x Hellblaster

. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [57 PL, 7CP, 1,000pts] ++

I also have a progress shot of the fancy bases I'm making for the incursors:

dXAOgsZ.jpg

• 10 months later...

WOW has it been a while, with the launch of 9th edition I've begun re-evaluating my Black Templars army and I've come to the conclusion that I want it to be all (or mostly at least) Primaris. To that end I have bought 2 Indomitus boxes and begun turning them into Templars, First up I got the assault Intercessors, all the rank and file guys are just put together but the sword brethren have magnetized power fists and little reliquaries along with chained weapons:
wSXmFuO.jpeg

Next up got some outriders again the regular guys are just standard (with some BT icons on the bikes) and the sergeants have some knightly looking FW heads and again chained weapons:

lmvMLmo.jpeg

Also some Bladeguard Vets (again all got the chained weapon treatment) still have 6 of these guys left to build and will probably pick up 3 more to round out a second squad:

1Ash0Xg.jpeg

And finally some HQ units including a Marshal, Castellan, Bike Chaplain and my newest Primaris High Marshal Helbrecht conversion:

6niTycO.jpeg0XRBJ1B.jpeg

Here is a Closer look at the Helbrecht Conversion, used mostly the Judicar model as the base, rounding out the tip of the sword and making him a Combi Melta from a spare meltagun and half of a Rhino Stormbolter (they fit together perfectly once i trimmed the gubbins at the back of the SB) also just realized that he needs some chains on his weapons to make him Properly BT so thats the last stage of that:

tfAnYyV.jpgM1wy6ij.jpgXad8jxL.jpg

Still got a lot to do INCLUDING painting all of them but with the current state of the world it looks like I got plenty of time till they can hit a table
Lemme know what you guys think and if anything needs improving!

EDIT: very important, the Helbrecht is a "Counts-as" only, hence the lack of certain specific design elements he really just needed suitably BT iconography and proper weapons so i could use him as such when i wish to run Helbrecht in my list, the same will go for a Grimaldus "counts-as" conversion i have planned, the lore of my list doesn't include these actual characters so i didn't want to include the real heroes in my army but instead have equivalent characters for when tabletop-wise i want to use them

Edited by Marshal van Trapp