Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Purgation Crusade

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Marshal van Trapp

Marshal van Trapp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 732 posts
  • Faction: B.Templars G.Knights
I'm back, this time with another battle report. Yesterday I played a game against my dark eldar buddy and his semi competitive tourney practice list. I tried out that black tide army that's been floating around and things went as expected.

Black Templar Armylist:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [68 PL, 1236pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Boltgun

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Boltgun

The Emperor's Champion [4 PL, 75pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [8 PL, 156pts]: 5x Neophyte w/Combat Knife
. 2x Initiate w/Chainsword
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power sword
. Initiate w/Special Weapon: Plasma gun
. Sword Brother: Combi-plasma, Power sword

Crusader Squad [8 PL, 158pts]: 5x Neophyte w/Combat Knife
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Power axe
. Sword Brother: Combi-plasma, Power axe

+ Elites +

Cenobyte Servitors [1 PL, 6pts]: 3x Cenobyte Servitor

Primaris Ancient [5 PL, 69pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 763pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

Lieutenants [4 PL, 60pts]
. Lieutenant: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 162pts]: 3x Neophyte w/Boltgun
. 4x Initiate
. Initiate w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
. Sword Brother: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 162pts]: 3x Neophyte w/Boltgun
. 4x Initiate

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 151pts]: 2x Neophyte w/Boltgun
. 4x Initiate

Crusader Squad [12 PL, 151pts]: 2x Neophyte w/Boltgun
. 4x Initiate

++ Total: [125 PL, 1999pts] ++

Dark Eldar Armylist:
Archon
Succubus
3 kabal squads in raiders with splinter cannon and blasters
1 witch squad in raider
2 ravagers with triple disintegrater
3 talos
Homonculus
10 man reaver squad with 3 blasters
Some weird skimmer with wracks on it?

I'm not 100% what was in his army but that's all the models

Pregame info
We got relic as the mission and long ways spearhead as deployment. I set up all my choppy crusaders in the open and the shooty squads in cover, sprinkling characters where needed. He set up a majority of his army in cover or behind things he couldn't really get shot from behind. I got first turn and he failed to sieze.

Templar turn 1:
All my choppy crusaders and characters advance to close the distance. Shooty squads and characters take up better positions in cover to get total cover and good shot avenues. Fire a couple of shots at his vehicles but do little damage.

Dark Eldar turn 1:
All his vehicles move up into position to try and get good lanes of fire, reavers zoom up to my right flank. Raiders squads kill a few neophytes, reavers kill 2 as well. Ravagers kills a couple more neos and 2 marines. Witch raider is perched over the relic.

Templar Turn 2:
crusaders on right flank move with chaplain to engage reavers. Left flank attempts to engage raiders with kabal warriors. After an abysmal shooting round, one raider has 6 wounds left and I kill 2 reavers. Assault phase goes a bit better with the left flank failing a charge but the right flank smashing into the reavers and taking another 2. After rolling a 5 on their moral, my opponent opted to command reroll and got a 6, losing 3 more bikes. Overall things look ok by this point.

Dark Eldar turn 2:
Things start t ok come undone for me now. Witches advance out of their raider to engage my left flank crusaders, 3 raiders with warriors, ravager, and weird skiff mow down 2 of my choppy squads. Ancient banner allows plasma to liquify one raider and kill a few warriors. Reavers break off and the talos move up to obliterate the choppy squads on my right flank that had engaged the reavers. Archon charges my chaplain, witches and succubus charge remaining choppy on left flank, and their raider charges my shooty squad just to tie it up. Melee ends with no templar choppy standing. At about 50% casualties by this point.

Templar turn 3:
Final choppy squad decides to jump on the relic to try and get something going. Emperors champion, chaplain, ancient, captain, and lieutenant all engage witch squad. Shooty squad decides to remove remaining warriors just to be sure. Turn ends with no witches left standing and succubus with 2 wounds left.

Dark Eldar turn 3:
Talos move up to empty some shots into my right flank shooty squads killing 3 marines. Remaining raiders and ravagers gun down my shooty squads and the last choppy squad holding the relic on the left flank, as well as my remaining chaplain. The emperors champion falls to the succubus. At this point I decided to concede. I had a measly 23 models remaining and with no real way to secure the relic I knew defeat was at hand.

Post-game analysis:

So I had a lot of fun with this game, putting down 107 models made me feel like a proper black templar. I think I can refine this list a bit to tailor it to better fit my style. The ancient was a test choice to see if it'd work but overall I think I'll drop it in favor of more marines.

At this point I can honestly say I dont see the point in giving iniatites power weapons. The ap is wasted on anything but MEQ and I believe even vs MEQ the extra attack would be statistically better. I also believe that if I continue testing this list, I'm going to need something to crack armor, I was thinking trading the plasma in the choppy squads for Melta and possibly dropping 1 shooty squad for a devastator squad armed with missile launchers (I still think they are the most versatile heavy weapon) just to have an anti armor option.

Still not certain on the 7-3 shooty squads, might drop them to 6-4 just for the extra points for elsewhere. The 5-5 choppy squads on the other hand performed exactly as I had hoped so those will stay.

I leave you with an image of the initial grand melee which gave my crusaders much needed zeal!
q8fQHw5.jpg
  • Margulix, Brother Cristopher, TheOneTrueZon and 1 other like this

4ndroid

4ndroid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

thanks for the bat-rep 

I had a similar experience in a 1500 pt game against a green tide of Orks 

Helbrect + Lieutenants provided some excellent buff to chop up a lot of Greenies

but in the end there were just too many and they over ran my position 

it was a fun game, but it was 6th lose playing CC templars :(

we really need some stratagems 

Mordian Glory

Mordian Glory

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

Awesome battle report! Well done trying out the tide.

You are right in your analysis, you need more anti tank in your list. Plasma is good but you cant go wrong with combi melta for cracking tanks. I recommend plasma on the initiate and combi plasma on the sword brother. I dont like putting combi plasma on my sword brothers as much as I cant really risk over charging them. 

"I once gave the order to one of my platoons to fix bayonets and charge a squad of genestealers. If they believed in the emperor hard enough they could win... I don't think they believed enough..."

WhkeMH9.jpg
v9Z8gMi.jpg
oJPD61i.jpg

Aegir_Einarsson

Aegir_Einarsson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
I Also think that If you foot slogging melta is Right choice.
I saw somewhere that Chaplain Dread can now take plasma cannon. He is character with less than 10 wounds he has t8 And some aura ability. And he fits in black tide.

gallery_38474_6916_27314.jpg

Dark_Jober

Dark_Jober

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 139 posts

I want to play some Tide lists, but I have never played this way, so I'm considering many points.

As said before, a Chaplain Venerable Dread seems nice... It is a character and with its BS2+ it can move and shoot at 3+. He can be surrounded with crusaders, and maybe a Techmarine as support. It is expensive, but if we think the enemy can't shoot him, because the crusaders... he can footslog and shoot every turn at 3+ and rerrolling 1's if we footlog with a Marshal or High Marshal.

• 212p with Twin Lascannon, moving and AT support.
  • 183p aprox with Plasma cannon, moving and Anti-MEQ.

"I have dug my grave in this place and I will either triumph or I will die!" - Chaplain Grimaldus, Hero of Helsreach.

"The galaxy is the Emperor's, and anyone or anything who challenges that claim is an enemy who must be destroyed." — High Marshal Helbrecht at the Battle of Fire and Blood.

Marshal van Trapp

Marshal van Trapp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 732 posts
I have returned brothers, this time with some more fluff, also linking back into my last battle report.

Darkness and Pain
Darkness and pain. These were the only things Marshal Agustus could perceive, he remembered the Tyranid, and he remembered the battle aboard the hive ship, but everything beyond was just that… Darkness and pain. There were flashes of sensations, he was unsure exactly what was happening but he knew he was in the medicae bay, the scent of the sterile oils penetrated his nostrils. Agustus’s sense of time was gone, he had no idea how long he had been here… days? weeks? years? There was no telling, only darkness and pain…
“Marshal Agustus, can you hear me” the word pierced the darkness. They were familiar but he could not put a face to the voice. I CAN HEAR YOU BROTHER, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I AM. The words came out as though replayed through a vox unit. They did not feel like his words. “You are in the armoury marshal, your attack on the tyranid hive ship was a success, however your body was damaged beyond the apothecarions abilities. Fortunately for you, you were not beyond my ability to repair.” I AM IN A DREADNOUGHT. “Yes marshal, for only in death…” DOES DUTY END. I BELIEVE I SHOULD ADDRESS THE CRUSADE. I AM UNFIT TO CONTINUE LEADING THE CRUSADE IN SUCH A STATE. As he spoke the dreadnought sprung to life, a great golden suit which held all the necessary facilities to bring swift death to the enemies of the imperium. “I shall inform the Castallans marshal.”

MY BROTHERS, WHILE LIFE STILL SUSTAINS ME, I AM RENDERED UNFIT TO LEAD THIS CRUSADE. AS SUCH, IT IS TO YOU TO DECIDE WHO SHALL CONTINUE TO LEAD US AGAINST THE ENEMIES OF THE EMPEROR. His brothers revered him with awe, their marshal, though laid low by the foul xenos, had been reborn by the glory of Mars technology. “While you recovered we had temporarily appointed Castellan Ocelot as acting marshal, it seemed only fit.” AND WHAT SAY YOU OCELOT? ARE YOU PREPARED TO LEAD THIS CRUSADE AGAINST THE ENEMIES OF THE IMPERIUM OF MAN? “If that is the wish of my brothers, then so shall it be. I shall make you proud Marshal Agustus.” BROTHER AGUSTUS, IT IS UNFAIR OF ME TO WEAR A TITLE THAT YOU NOW RIGHTLY DESERVE, MARSHAL OCELOT. “Aye, so shall it be, Venerable Brother Agustus, may you continue to serve in the emperor’s light. Where do we go from here Marshal Ocelot?” “Wherever the light of the Emperor takes us!”

Fury of the Emperor’s Chosen
On the surface of Etrgon Prime
Etrgon Prime was a world in turmoil, the foul xenos known as the Dark Eldar had taken the planet, stealing the populace to fuel their dark rites. The Black Templar of the Purgation Crusade had been the closest astartes to the planet and responded without hesitation.
“Brothers, these foul xenos have taken the planet and plan to leave with its populace. It is our duty as servants of the Emperor to keep his loyal children safe. We shall crush these creatures and save this world!” Marshal Ocelot had roused his warriors into a battle fevor and was poised to crush the xenos menace, but their foul webway gates were already primed and ready to move their slaves. “This is our last chance, if they manage to get into the webway we cannot follow and the slaves they have taken are doomed! We cannot let that happen brothers! FOR THE EMPEROR!” and with that rallying battle cry, the crusade charged.

The battle was hard fought, casualties were high on both sides, but in the end the crusade had failed. The dark eldar retreated through their webway, slaves in toe. Marshal Ocelot had failed, and this weighed heavily upon his mantle.

• Bjorn Firewalker, Brother Cristopher and Othniel's Blade like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,525 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
The story of Marshal Ocelot's ascension is well-written. Is he named after Revolver Ocelot, from 'Metal Gear Solid'?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker, 14 October 2018 - 08:00 PM.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Marshal van Trapp

Marshal van Trapp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 732 posts
Actually yeah, I love the character ocelot from the MGS series and decided to borrow the name for my new marshal. Felt it was time for a newcomer to take the reigns of my crusade, well that and I thought it was time to retire my old pro painted models to the display cabinet haha

Margulix

Margulix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 136 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Nice game!

Wanna try black tide myself, but i'm going on meltas and combi-meltas on cc squads and missle and lascannons on shooty ones as anti-vehicle power. 

+++ No Pity. No Mercy. No Remorse. +++

ijLM8FY.jpg
gallery_62972_14467_11427.jpg
gallery_62972_14467_1801.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_2662.jpggallery_62972_14467_4611.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users