Equipping Blightlord Terminators from the box

Wayniac

I have a cool idea to run a list that has a unit of Deathshroud w/a Lord of Contagion and a unit of Blightlord Terminators teleporting in to wreck havoc.  I'm thinking of how to build the Blightlords from the box contents itself (no buying multiple boxes or hunting for bits).  From what we can tell, the box has 4x axes (not sure of how many swords but probably about the same), 1x of each combi-weapon, 1x of each special weapon, and 1x flail of corruption.

The obvious choice for the unit would be:

Champion w/Balesword (not enough axes to give him one, and it makes him look different)

1x Flail of Corruption (a given/must-take)

1x special weapon + Axe

2x combi-bolters + axe

Is adding a single special combi-weapon worth it, do you think?  Probably combi-plasma, as it seems the most versatile.

I'm thinking of the following unit:

5 Blightlord Terminators (254 points / 14 Power)

- Champion w/Combi-Bolter, Balesword

- 1x Combi-Plasma, Bubotic Axe

- 1x Flail of Corruption

- 1x Combi-Bolter, Bubotic Axe

- 1x Blight Launcher, Bubotic Axe

What do you think?  I'm trying to avoid having to scrounge around for combi-plasma or whatnot, and this seems like a good unit that can be built from the box contents and pack a punch, especially if they are teleported in alongside a unit of 3 Deathshroud Terminators and a Lord of Contagion.

I'll probably be running with 3 combi-meltas and a blight launcher. Was thinking about the reaper autocannon to put strength 7's on vehicles, but I guess blight launcher has better synergy being an assault weapon like the meltas. Expensive but dropping 3 meltas in plus a blight launcher will hopefully guarantee putting the hurt on a high toughness target, and give your opponent something else to worry about other than focus firing on Morty

I'm planning Combi-Melta x 5, Flail of Corruption, and Blight Launcher for my first squad with a mix of Bubotic Axes and Baleswords. 

Squad of 7 right? Might want to make that clear because that brings up strange mental images of a blight launcher in one hand, a combi-melta in the other, and a melee weapon somewhere.

I'm planning Combi-Melta x 5, Flail of Corruption, and Blight Launcher for my first squad with a mix of Bubotic Axes and Baleswords. 

Squad of 7 right? Might want to make that clear because that brings up strange mental images of a blight launcher in one hand, a combi-melta in the other, and a melee weapon somewhere.

Ah yes, definitely squads of 7. 

"It was horrifying, stalking towards us pumping rounds from some kind of huge grenade launcher and turning everything to slag with its meltagun. It leared through pus-filled, cataract-glazed eyes as pus wept from its armour joints. I thought it was the worst sight I'd ever had the misfortune to see .. until it turned around and we saw where it kept its sword ..."

Lt. A. Flax, Mordian 21st Iron Guard, survivor of the Heol Ridge "Bumrush" massacre (shortly deceased, awarded penicillin posthumously).

Melta = Assault. That's pretty much it, I use Plasma on all of my Plague Marines for the ranged benefit. The Blightlords are in your face, I'm going to DS in your deployment zone and melt you ASAP. They benefit more.

Except they're not in Melta range off of deepstrike. In subsequent turns you can run a little to get some more value out of them, but Melta out of the range isnt the most reliable of weapons.

Generally for high cost deepstrikers, you need them to really kill priority targets and make some impact before they get swatted; Plasma with inexorable let's you rapid fire over bubble wrap, while can be pushed out of any range and at best is relying on 1 die

Melta = Assault. That's pretty much it, I use Plasma on all of my Plague Marines for the ranged benefit. The Blightlords are in your face, I'm going to DS in your deployment zone and melt you ASAP. They benefit more.

Except they're not in Melta range off of deepstrike. In subsequent turns you can run a little to get some more value out of them, but Melta out of the range isnt the most reliable of weapons.

Generally for high cost deepstrikers, you need them to really kill priority targets and make some impact before they get swatted; Plasma with inexorable let's you rapid fire over bubble wrap, while can be pushed out of any range and at best is relying on 1 die

Fair enough. I haven't built them yet since they haven't been released yet / I don't have the connection unlike some lucky SOBs. I'll give Plasma some consideration, overall it's better than Melta in 8th but I was willing to give Melta a shot (no pun intended).

I plan on equipping mine all with combi-plas (I am really liking the new plas revolution, the one where my troops don't kill themselves through overheating!), and a blight launcher. Not too sure of the flail, but might do so as it looks cool.

From the box with no conversions? Yes, I think 3 axes, a flail and the launcher is the best setup. I'd definitely take a combi with that if you have the points (always if you're using power).

I'm building my first box now and I'm going to mag the heavy weapons in case I want to try out an autocannon squad in the future, and I'll see if it's possible to do the same with the combiweapon options. Should be. I plan on getting a second box soon and for smaller games I'll try pooling the axes and combiweapons into one squad.

I am really torn between all combi-plasma and all combi-melta, and whether or not to add a blight launcher in there.

The 18" double tap range on combi plasma seems really strong to me. On the other hand, I think few things in this game can do as much as meltaguns, and having a bunch of meltaguns on a tough to kill unit seems powerful (advancing and firing at -1 seems good too).