Officially starting guard finally.

micahwc

Thanks. I'll probably have to run mine with Lord Commisars for now since I don't have any primaris psykers yet.

I use what they now call wyrdvane psyker models since I bought them as sanctioned psykers from 5th edition guard. You can get 3 of them from the webstore for £8.20 

As far as color scheme, I think I'm going to swing by Hobby Lobby this week sometime and see what Vallejo colors they have available, they only carry the WW1/WW2 ranges, so I figure I can pick some matching paint scheme from one of the Great Wars for my troops and it should look good. I'm really kind of torn on what regiment to use, and I'll probably end up mixing regiments with detachments to tailor to specific bonuses, stratagems, and wargear.

Elysians have access to deep striking heavy weapon squads and special weapon squads with breacher charges. I have a pair of Valkyries and don't know what to put in them, but a pair of breacher charge special weapon squads will do 6D3 mortal wounds to a target it reaches in close combat every turn (6D6 against vehicles, monsters, and buildings). That's an average of 21 mortal wounds to any tank they reach, per turn.

Steel Legion have really interested me in the last few years because I am interested in the battle for Armageddon, and rumors suggest it will be ramping back up again in the lore in the nearish future. I also already have Yarrick, so that's a plus. I'm not a huge fan of their unique order, but 18" rapid fire range for basic troops is really nice. According to the wikis online, the Steel Legion is not made up entirely of mechanized units, just a lot of it is. I would imagine they would have a large percentage of any chimera based vehicle due to manufacturing chimeras on planet. I'm sure I will eventually pick up a chimera or two or three, but I am kind of enamored right now with the idea of running a mostly infantry based list. I've never really cared for the Leman Russ aesthetic, and I've always been more of an artillery/cavalry man instead of an armor man.

I'm probably going to run some Scions because I already have a battalion of them. I will use them like I would use Elysians, deep striking in to take care of a tank/monster/unit that needs to die ASAP, before they are killed the next turn by everything else on the board.

For a paint scheme I am thinking a light grey for cloth and a dark blue grey for armor, maybe with camo dark blue grey on the cloth and light grey on the armor. Probably like a German WW2 grey and dark blue from the Vallejo line.

All subject to change when the codex is available, but I think I've come up with a 2000 point list I almost have everything for, that will work out alright until I get some more vehicles.

3 detachments. 1 Vanguard, and 2 Battalions. 10 Command Points.

Det 1, "Imperium", Vanguard Detachment, +1 Command Point

• Elysian Lord Commisar, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol
  • 2x Elysian Special Weapon squads with Breacher Charges
  • 3x Elysian Sniper Squads
  • 2x Elysian Heavy Weapon Squads with Missile Launchers
  • Vindicare Assassin
  • Valkyrie with 2x Heavy Bolters, 2x Rocket Pods, and Multi-Laser (Special Weapon Squads ride in this)

Det 2, "Armageddon Steel Legion", Battalion Detachment, +3 Command Points

• Commisar Yarrick
  • Company Commander with Power Maul and Plasma Pistol
  • 4x Infantry Squads with Vox, and Missile Launcher (Once the Codex releases I'll probably combine these into 2x20)
  • 3x Heavy Weapon Squads with Missile Launchers

Det 3, "Tempestus Scions", Battalion Detachment, +3 Command Points

•  2x Tempestor Primes with Plasma Pistols and Power Mauls
  • 2x Scion Squads with 2x Plasma Guns, Plasma Pistol and Power Swords
  • 1x Scion Squad with 2x Meltaguns, Plasma Pistol, and Power Sword
  • Valkyrie with 2x Heavy Bolters, 2x Rocket Pods, and Multi-Laser (2 squads and tempestor primes ride in this)

Very little armor on the board so I fully expect at least one Valkyrie to die first turn if I don't go first, but both are full of hate and will need to be dealt with before they drop off their cargo. By placing the units in Valkyries and by placing all the Steel Legion on the ground, everything else will be able to deep strike if I want it to, so the snipers and 2 missile launcher squads will be in good positions.

Lots of missiles which are decent anti-hoard and anti-vehicle, lots of anti-vehicle. No psychic defense which sucks, but oh well for now. I think I am happy with this list for now and I already own most of it. I'll need to buy a few more boxes of infantry to convert into sniper teams, and some sniper rifles from marine scouts.

4 boxes of cadian storm troopers arrived last night, 2 of them will be infantry and the other 2 will become 9 missile teams and 2 platoon commanders using parts left over from the command squad box. Missile launchers were $1 each on eBay and will be here next week sometime.

So for troops I will be running four infantry squads with vox and probably a bolter on the sergeant. I'm skipping their missiles for now. HQ will be Yarrick, my commander above, and 1 of my Tempestor primes. Elites will be my company command squad, a commissar, and some platoon commanders. HS will be 9 missile teams, and I will borrow the Earthshaker batteries from my renegades. Fast attack will be three converted Artemeia Hellhounds using three chimeras I plan on ordering today.

Rounding out the points to 2,000 will be a Primaris Psyker and 4 astropaths. I stil need to get these. I'll have everything either at home or on the way except for these guys after today.

Despite already having Yarrick, I'm leaning Cadian right now. I have enough missiles for 3 heavy weapon platoons. Cadian rule allows them to re-roll 1s or all their misses with the "Take Aim" order. Cadian stratagem gives them a +1 to hit after something else hits the target unit. Cadian warlord trait helps spread orders around.

I want something dead. I issue the take aim order to all three squads. They all now re-roll all missiles with 9 krak missiles. Cadian stratagem of able/needed. 9 krak missiles to the face.

I have the most wonderful wife ever, who just let me order $200 of stuff.

Ordered some 60mm bases for my missile launcher dudes, 2 Leman Russ demolishers, 3 sentinels, a bunch of 3mm magnets, and some black airbrush primer. Sweet.

I'm up to 1700-1900 points. I'm thinking of getting one more demolisher, which will put me at exactly 2000 by including 2 more company commanders and then fielding all three demolishers as punisher tank commanders in a supreme command detachment.

Currently my list is

Det 1, Brigade

2x Company Commanders,

4x Infantry Squads, 2x scion squads with plasma guns.

3x Heavy Weapon Squads with Missile Launchers

1 company command squad with Missile Launcher

2 platoon commanders

3 armored sentinels with plasma cannons

Vendetta with 6x Lascannons

Vendetta with 2x Lascannons, 2x Hellfury missiles

Det 2, supreme command

Lord Commisar

2x Tank Commanders, punisher gatling cannons, 3x heavy bolters

Vindicare Assassin.

This list is 1898 points.

Edited by micahwc

That's a good idea and I will definitely consider it when I get home and look at the codex. I'm also leaning towards missiles or lascannons for the sentinels. Missiles have been very good for me in 8th for both tanks and grunts, so I don't feel like I can bring too many of them.

That's a good idea and I will definitely consider it when I get home and look at the codex. I'm also leaning towards missiles or lascannons for the sentinels. Missiles have been very good for me in 8th for both tanks and grunts, so I don't feel like I can bring too many of them.

Lascannons are better than Missile Launchers in this edition. At the same 20pts a pop, you get +1 strength and an additional -1AP. I know some folks are concerned with flexibility, but would you really rather wound that Landraider on 4s instead of 3s in order to get D6 bolter shots on occasion?

Got my last infantry squad assembled, and in left with 7 guys after pairing up my heavybweapon squads. I'm thinking of using a special weapon squad just because I have a bunch of grenade launchers left over.

Tanks and sentinels in the mail. My first game is Thursday.

Starting to finalize a list using models I own already, and taking some time to look for synergies.

I'm taking a brigade and an auxiliary detachment to bring my Vindicator, so only 11 command points for me. I'm bringing two Leman Russ Punisher commanders with heavy bolter sponsons for anti-hoard. (the guy I'm playing generally brings a lot of infantry as inquisition backed up with razorbacks, the punisher can hurt both.) I cant wait to get a third one of these so I can run them in a supreme command detachment.

3 missile heavy weapon squads which will be a staple in my lists until they prove un-useful. They have a lot of synergy with the Cadian doctrine, as they won't be moving often so they will get a lot of re-rolls. I will park commanders near them to issue orders for the re-rolls. I've had success with missiles so far in 8th and I think their dual purpose nature is really nice to have.

A command squad with melta guns and a flamer. So the Cadian stratagem to get a bonus to hit after something successfully hits the target first, can I use the heavy flamer to hit the target and then use the stratagem with the melta guns? If so cool, if not, I'll hit the target with the heavy flamer and then use the bonus with missile launchers.

A scion command squad with plasma, probably drop in and assassinate something before they die horribly.

4 Infantry squads and 2 scion squads for troops. Scions have a melta gun, infantry only have a vox caster.

2 Valkyries to take up points because I have them and because they look cool. They will be rocket/bolter/multi-laser for anti-hoard, but all at strength 5+ so they won't be horrible at heavier targets.

3 sentinels with lascannons. I'll probably just park these and use them as gun turrets that can re-roll 1s to hit.

Thanks.

HQ

2x Tank Commanders, Punisher Gatling Cannons, 3x Heavy Bolters, Hunter Killer Missiles, Track Guards

1x Company Commander, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol

1x Tempestor Prime, Power Sword, Plasma Pistol

Elite

Scion Command Squad with 4x Plasma

2x Platoon Commanders with laspistol and chainswords

Fast Attack

3x Armored Sentinels with Lascannons

Heavy Support

3x Heavy Weapon Squads with Missile Launchers

3x Earthshaker Batteries (Need to strip the chaos paint off them first)

Troops

4x Infantry Squads with Vox, laspistol/chainsword on the Sergeant

2x 5 man scion squads with 1 melta gun

Flyers

2x Valkyries, Multiple Rocket Pods, Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolters

2,000 points even and a little less schizophrenic than my previous lists. I started with the heavy support choices I wanted to bring and then thought of what I needed to support them and/or fill out Brigade requirements.

Missiles sit still in cover. Two of them get a platoon commander to issue orders to them. Company commander either joins them to issue orders or rolls with the infantry squads to help them out. Scions are there to deep strike and assassinate things. Sentinels, Heavy Weapon Squads, and Earthshakers form a fire base protected by four squads of infantry and two tanks. Scions and/or infantry supported by Valkyries can take objectives.

List has a lot of anti-infantry and anti-armor built into it, the only things I'm seeing that it really doesn't have are melee and psychic defense.

Give the prime a command rod instead of a plasma pistol (so he can issue 2 orders). 

Melee defense? What is this? We are GUARD! every trooper has his standard issue bayonet and his primer to instruct him on the proper bayonet defense. That perfect instruction and his faith in the emperor will carry him through any and all fights! If he dies; his faith was lacking.

Psychic defense is a good point though. removing the track guard and hunter kill off both tank commanders will give you enough points for 2 astropaths (15 points each with laspistol)

I would appreciate help optimizing my list. It's 2000 points, 4 detachments, and 11 command points. I've tried to optimize everything into an appropriate regiment but will welcome suggestions for my game on Thursday. I will be playing a guy who brings Inquisition and spams razorbacks full of acolytes and allied imperium russ tanks. He usually has 4 or so razorbacks/immolators filled with acolytes/sisters of battle, and 2 punishers. Razorbacks are split between lascannon and assault cannon variants.

Det 1, Armageddon Steel Legion, Battalion, +3 Command Points

• Yarrick, Company Commander, Platoon Commander, 3x Infantry Squads. (Plan is for Yarrick, a platoon commander, and 1 infantry squad to ride in a Valkyrie, 2 other squads and company commander support back field)

Det 2, Tempestus Scions, Battalion, +3 Command Points

• 2x Tempestor Primes, 2x5 scions with 2x plasma, 5x scions with melta. (Probably scionacide)

Det 3, Cadian, Spearhead Detachment, +1 Command Point

• Company Commander, 3x Heavy Weapon Squads with missile launchers (sit back and re-roll all my misses with orders)

Det 4, Tallern, Vanguard Detachment, +1 Command Point

• 2x Tank Commanders with Punishers and Heavy Bolters, 3x Armored Sentinels with lascannons, Veteran squad with 3x meltaguns and heavy flamer, commissar, platoon commander (Sentinels and Tank Commanders ambush, Veteran squad/commissar/platoon commander ride in Valkyrie 2)

Flyers

• 2x Valkyries, Multi-Laser, 2x Multiple Rocket Pods, 2x Heavy Bolters.

Edit: Probably make the Cadian commander the warlord for the chance to effect all 3 missile squads with orders. Probably taking Kurov's Aquilla for my relic, since I will be down 3 command points off the start for using Ambush.

Edited by micahwc

there is usually a 3 detachment limit for matched play (well, advised at least). You might have to combine 2 of them. I recommend (if you have to) to combine the cadian and the steel legion detachments. You least the least this way.

I like the rest of this, let us know how this goes after thursday.