Home brew SM Tactics and Stratagems

Zubbiefish

Both sections indicate that if the Chapter you are playing is of unknown origin, you may choose.

I don't see anything indicating that they are linked, and that one informs the other.

I can only conclude that you may mix and match since you may choose in both cases, and they are not dependent on each other.

A chapter with Lightning Assault and Flamecraft, for example, seems like it would not be OP, but super cool.

Am I missing something, dreaming, or what?

Actually the wording is quite clear :

If your Chapter does not have an associated chapter tactic, use the chapter tactic of its founding chapter.

If your Chapter does not have associated stratagems, you can use the stratagem of its founding chapter.

and then both have the additional guideline :

If you are unsure of a chapter's founding chapter, [check the fluff] or choose one that best describes its character and fighting style.

You don't choose a chapter tactics or chapter stratagems, you choose a founding chapter, and therefore have to use both tactics and stratagems.

Interesting.

You're right in the case of Stratagems.

The CT section is worded differently.

It says there that you "choose a Tactic from the table that best describes its character and fighting style."

So CT you choose a Tactic, and Stratagem you choose a founding Chapter. Two decision points, with differet possible answers.

I suppose that since you choose a Chapter in the Stratagem section, you will have the answer to the question of whose CT to use. It's just a bit confusing since the order that they are presented in has you just picking one, then you have to decide a founding Chapter afterwards.

They must be the same, but how you arrive at the answer is a bit out of order.

OK, thanks. That clears it up for me.