Which primarch is next? Or will it be two?

Dark_Master

@ Darth

Hype can also be diluted by overexposure

I think several years between loyalist primarch releases would make sense

As for Russ or the Lion, their hype won't decrease with waiting time, rather the opposite.

@ Darth

I think several years between loyalist primarch releases would make sense

Most people will move on from the hobby by that time. Remember, you want to hook new players, and keep them hooked. Considering the number of Loyalist primarchs, and assuming you mean minimum three years by several, we look at 24 years long release schedule.

That's too long in my opinion.

If you release to much to soon, yes you may get sales but long term your left with watered down product's you are trying to shift.

I don't think it would be a bad idea if GW made Alternate Heresies/time lines a legit thing. It would allow for more scope, variety and DR who/ Rick and Morty style options allowing for very interesting modeling ideas and concepts to be generated.

Why watch 1 conveyer belt grind to a halt when you could watch 50 semi-working/fully working Belts produce options that are justified in the fluff and allow for creative modeling instead?

Getting back on subject about which Primarch is next... the rumor of Russ coming back. I am excited that there is more "proof" that my Primarch is coming back. However I still remain that I wish he wasn't coming back. His return was meant to be a end of things and only when the Imperium or the SW needed him most. Right now the Imperium has Guilliman and the SW have Primaris and the 13th.

Getting back on subject about which Primarch is next... the rumor of Russ coming back. I am excited that there is more "proof" that my Primarch is coming back. However I still remain that I wish he wasn't coming back. His return was meant to be a end of things and only when the Imperium or the SW needed him most. Right now the Imperium has Guilliman and the SW have Primaris and the 13th.

Yes, I eagerly await the poor writing around his return. What are they going to come up with that is more urgent and desperate than Magnus nearly destroying Fenris?

If it is Russ, hopefully it is an Odin like version. That would be sweet, and a great opportunity to move away from "WOLVES ALL THE TIMES" to instead Norse and Vikings theme.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/036/7/f/odin_advanced___lotc_by_damascus5-d5txju9.jpg

And a giant interdimensional rift that tore through the centre of the galaxy. 

You are not going to get more "Imperium need him most" without destroying Imperium outright. Which, I remind you, almost happened.

Also, I disagree on personal level. The sooner Roboute stops being the sole Imperial Primarch, the better.

If it is Russ, hopefully it is an Odin like version. That would be sweet, and a great opportunity to move away from "WOLVES ALL THE TIMES" to instead Norse and Vikings theme.

It's part of the reason I vastly, vastly prefer Prospero Burns version of the Rout, then I do it's modern day incarnation.

I would rather have The Lion who would be more of a counter to Guilliman. Russ, even Odin-Russ, will be more combat or combat-leader oriented than political/ruling like Lion and Guilliman.

Oh, most certainly. I would prefer The Lion as well, but you know. You take what you can get.

I would like to see all of them again, to be also fair. Yes, even those that died. I know it's a sticking point with fans, but I do think you could interesting things with them.

I would rather have The Lion who would be more of a counter to Guilliman. Russ, even Odin-Russ, will be more combat or combat-leader oriented than political/ruling like Lion and Guilliman.

Oh, most certainly. I would prefer The Lion as well, but you know. You take what you can get.

I would like to see all of them again, to be also fair. Yes, even those that died. I know it's a sticking point with fans, but I do think you could interesting things with them.

Only if Ferrus comes back as a giant silver Primarch on fire... Aka leader of the legion of the Damned. The ultimate version of "The Flesh is Weak!" (I know he didn't like that though)

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/036/7/f/odin_advanced___lotc_by_damascus5-d5txju9.jpg

Russ is not a good analog for Odin. There is one figure in Norse myth that better suits him and that is Fenris, who devours Odin. Odin, who is known to be a powerful magician and blood brother to Loki. Odin has more in common with Magnus.

Loki is Odin's uncle.... Odin is son of Burr son of Buri son of Ymir. Loki is son of Farbauti son of Ymir.

Edit: it also depends on the mythology you read. Another said Ymir was born from water and was the first frost giant. while Bori was stuck in stone while a cow, which Ymir drank from, licked the stone away revealing g Bori. Ymir was a giant and Bori gave birth to the gods. Making Loki and Fenris unrelated to Odin at all.

Russ is also suspected to be a extremely powerful psyker. Look at his Wolf Howl, the theory his wolves are familiars, anti psyker spell abilities, not to mention in old lore how he grew to match Magnus. He refused his powers though hence Magnus remark "Does he know what he really is".

My guess would also be for the beginning of the next fiscal year - and for Russ. I think somewhat perversely, if GW was not doing as well as it is financially they might wait longer to drop more Primarchs. As it is, their stock is on a serious charge that they'll be under pressure to maintain. Russ and the Space Wolves are probably easily as popular as Utramarines in my experience, and he's the natural foil to both Guilliman and Magnus. In terms of it 'not being the Wolftime' yet; his appearance quite literally MAKES IT the Wolftime. I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a 'universe-ending' event that brings him back, but rather something that threatens to destroy Fenris. The Cicatrix is plenty sufficient to warrant Primarchs coming back. Fenris going down and Russ leading the Fenryka on a campaign into the Cicatrix wouldn't really surprise me. Nor indeed would things between him and Guilliman deteriorating until the Lion Himself has to show up and punch the Dogmaster in the face or something in 2019.

Of course, my preference would be Vulkan. 2020 at the earliest though... And of course I still want Angron, who will be the most likely one after Russ IMO.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Loki is Odin's uncle.... Odin is son of Burr son of Buri son of Ymir. Loki is son of Farbauti son of Ymir.

Edit: it also depends on the mythology you read. Another said Ymir was born from water and was the first frost giant. while Bori was stuck in stone while a cow, which Ymir drank from, licked the stone away revealing g Bori. Ymir was a giant and Bori gave birth to the gods. Making Loki and Fenris unrelated to Odin at all.

Russ is also suspected to be a extremely powerful psyker. Look at his Wolf Howl, the theory his wolves are familiars, anti psyker spell abilities, not to mention in old lore how he grew to match Magnus. He refused his powers though hence Magnus remark "Does he know what he really is".

Believe it or not, I grew up with Norse mythology and know, as you said it can very depending on the translation. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to track down someone who could translate old family letters from old Norwegian to modern. Add to that regional variation, Romanization, Christianization, and centuries and piecing together various myths can be spotty. If I recall correctly, one of the eddas states that the father of Vali was Odin and Loki in different locations. Then again this was Odin and Loki so both could be true. I think you missed the part were I called Loki and Odin Blood brothers, not actually brothers. They used to pal around a lot. I loved American Gods take on them as a team of con men.

Even if Russ is a psycher, you prove my point. He turned away from his power were as Odin actively seeks out that kind of power. He gets impaled to a tree for days to do it. Magnus does not hide from his powers, pals around with Tzeentch, ad has a legion of dead soldiers ready to fight for him. It's still hammering Norse myth into the setting but at least it's not hammering Marvel's take on it.

It may be different in cultures or even sub cultures, but when I think of blood brother, it is a brother related by blood. While my battle brothers are those that I fought in combat with.

Well many people wish that want Odin Russ, want Russ to come back with Rune powers also. One that we to into the warp to gain knowledge of things and comes back born anew as a Rune Warrior casting spells while charging into combat, and no longer a furious beat stick and less angry Angron.

I don't get this 'Magnus is a better fit for Odin' idea. I also don't know how it can be claimed Russ is analogous to Fenrir (who doesn't even have a character beyond 'is savage and powerful' iirc) when he's clearly aping the boisterous protector archetype of Thor in most portrayals (with the HH adding in some of Tyr's sense of duty with the 'dirty job' angle). Magnus and his Legion clearly aren't aping Norse mythology in the first place, and the only real point in favour is the 'lost eye' thing. However, unless I'm really misremembering my Norse Mythology, Odin actually got knowledge and wisdom. Magnus made a deal with Tzeentch and got lies and damnation. His entire character, and fall, is based off of arrogance and ego. He never gained wisdom, and thought he knew better than anyone else, but really didn't and paid the price for his hubris.

This is 40k, we don't just want Norse (or any other) mythology directly ported into 40k (not to mention, that would get weird, very quickly). When people advocate for 'Odin Russ', it's basically shorthand for a wiser, more mature Russ than we've seen in the 30k era. After all, we already have an 'Allfather' in the 40k setting/story :wink:.

Magnus has always been eqyptian themed and I always viewed Magnus as a combination of Serkat and Anubis, with a bit of 40k added in.

I also do not see the parallels of Magnus and odin, besides, missing an eye

Russ is not a good analog for Odin. There is one figure in Norse myth that better suits him and that is Fenris, who devours Odin. Odin, who is known to be a powerful magician and blood brother to Loki. Odin has more in common with Magnus.

In 30k Russ seems to be essentially Thor, not really Fenris who is more part of Ragnarok. Sure their are parallels, but Russ is more than just a destroyer.

But I'm not talking about 30k Russ, I'm talking about 40k Russ. I don't want Russ to return the same as he was (which is what they did with Guilliman, and it's super boring). I want him to have changed significantly to reflect the 10,000 years that have passed.

Also Magnus shouldn't have a Norse analog at all, he's got an Egyptian theme.

Believe it or not, I grew up with Norse mythology and know, as you said it can very depending on the translation. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to track down someone who could translate old family letters from old Norwegian to modern. Add to that regional variation, Romanization, Christianization, and centuries and piecing together various myths can be spotty. If I recall correctly, one of the eddas states that the father of Vali was Odin and Loki in different locations. Then again this was Odin and Loki so both could be true. I think you missed the part were I called Loki and Odin Blood brothers, not actually brothers. They used to pal around a lot. I loved American Gods take on them as a team of con men.

Even if Russ is a psycher, you prove my point. He turned away from his power were as Odin actively seeks out that kind of power. He gets impaled to a tree for days to do it. Magnus does not hide from his powers, pals around with Tzeentch, ad has a legion of dead soldiers ready to fight for him. It's still hammering Norse myth into the setting but at least it's not hammering Marvel's take on it.

Pretty much everything you described here is more like Loki than Odin. Wants power, dallies with evil powers, causing the end of the world.

Considering New Magnus has horns up the wazoo just like Marvel's take on that god, he's probably a better analogy. Not that Magnus should even have a Norse analog anyway.

TLDR: 30k Russ = Thor, 40k Russ should = Odin.

Actually Guilliman returning to 40k unchanged from 30k was super interesting as all his ideals and the efforts of the Great Crusade were basically in ruin, and he's trying to rebuild.

A 30k like Russ would definitely be more boring than a wise Odin figure as there's already lots of angry, punchy guys in the setting.

Actually Guilliman returning to 40k unchanged from 30k was super interesting as all his ideals and the efforts of the Great Crusade were basically in ruin, and he's trying to rebuild.

A 30k like Russ would definitely be more boring than a wise Odin figure as there's already lots of angry, punchy guys in the setting.

I knew the second I wrote Guilliman is boring it would summon you!

But I agree with you on Russ at least.

It would be interesting if it were actually true. Which it isn't.

I knew the second I wrote Guilliman is boring it would summon you!

But I agree with you on Russ at least.

If you say guilliman three times whilst looking in a mirror ishagu will appear!

If it's Russ I will probably buy in. I've always had a soft spot for the wolves and frankly dorn and the fists won't be getting any plastic love any time this century. I'd prefer the sage to the bezerker but I'm quite interested in the idea of a second wulfen figure in the set. Might help to 'power up' a loyalist to daemon primarch levels

Archived