Which primarch is next? Or will it be two?

Dark_Master

It's a Black Library book. DA Vs Tau.

If WE gets a range in similar quality to TS and DG, including terminators and what not, it will be hard for me to resist. So far those fugly minis are easily ignored.

Hm interesting. Might have to pick it up depending on the writer.

Yeah to be honest if any Legion gets a proper range it'll be hard to resist. So glad me and 3 other people in our group already decided quite some time ago who goes with which chaos god so I'm not as tempted....TSons and DG were already hard enough to resist as is. :biggrin.:

From what I have seen, DA are looking like the next marine army due to the BL book with the Lion getting released as one of the books subplots is how the DA deal with new marines.  WE and EC are going to be a bit off as they have gotten a good amount of love in the new chaos dex.  TS would be easy to get to full dex standing just 1-2 more kits and book.  Than to balance things out Abadodn and the Sanguinor get upgraded.  

Yeah this just seems like an educated guess that any of us could have made.

More like uneducated guess. We already have Chaos books out, if they wanted to release a primarch, they could have held CSM book in reserve a bit, they weren't in that big of a rush. Add to that the fact logic would dictate next primarch to be loyalist, from sales perspective if nothing else (come on, this year saw massive glut of Chaos releases, anyone who thinks GW would pile more of them on top is insane).

Then add the fact 3 loyalist SM books, all of which could easily receive a primarch, were held back, instead of being easy copy-paste of codex SM that could have been released as a filler (that 'honor' went to GK instead). I have no idea how anyone can look at this and conclude 'okay, Angron is next'. If chaos gets anything, which is a big IF, it will be demons of nurgle to fill out DG lists and act as a half-Sigmar release too. Not Khorne. At least for a year, if not more.

From what I have seen, DA are looking like the next marine army due to the BL book with the Lion getting released as one of the books subplots is how the DA deal with new marines.  WE and EC are going to be a bit off as they have gotten a good amount of love in the new chaos dex.  TS would be easy to get to full dex standing just 1-2 more kits and book.  Than to balance things out Abadodn and the Sanguinor get upgraded.  

'Good amount of love' ... well their Cult Marines became troop choices as they used to be, their trait is okay-ish and they got a relic, a warlord trait and a stratagem. It's not really more than anyone else got and they are still badly in need of new models. :D

"instead of being easy copy-paste of codex SM that could have been released as a filler (that 'honor' went to GK instead)"

/sob

I cry myself to sleep at night praying for santa to bring a chapter approved that focuses on the Grey Knights.

Well let us wait for the actual BA Codex release. I fear they won't be much better off because for some reason GW wants them to be almost like vanilla marines but not enough to have them in the vanilla codex. They are always kinda sitting between two chairs. :tongue.:

I can honestly see it being anything really (though I agree Angron and Fulgrim are likely next for Chaos).

On one hand, DA and SW will likely get their codexes before they drop a new WE or EC line, so I'd expect Lion or Russ to come.

But they also both seem like the "easiest" primarchs to return -- we know the Lion is still around and Russ has at least said he will return. If GW is really going to do most/all of the loyalists, are they just going to keep doing the next easiest one? I think if the next one was a Dorn, robo Ferrus, or maybe a possessed Sanguinor or something, that'd make a much more interesting story than "we've found our next brother who's been lost in the warp/webway/wherever".

But then again, the CSM are kind of mirroring the regular marine lines now: Codex marines - undivided, and the Cult legions are separate like Sw, BA, and DA. So you'd think Russ and Lion should get their models for sure... leaving BA all alone (I expect Sanguinor will get bumped to a primarch-ish statline).

Anyway, I do expect WE and EC getting full lines. We'll probably see some sort of new line early in the new year (whether it's new sisters or one of those Chaos armies). It doesn't look like any current lines are going to get a redo during the codex releases, which we're what about half way through now? But it'd be crazy to not think that GW isn't going to have anything come out for another 6 months or so?

So by all that I mean, yeah probably Angron next... haha

Dark Angels are much more likely to be among the last (if not the very last) due to all the complex unfinished business. You've got to handle the fallen, Cypher (who is currently still in a prison on Terra), the fact that the Unforgiven still operate as a legion and Jonson would not be very impressed with the state of the Imperium.

Sure, GW could just "do it" and make Jonson fall in line, submit to Guilliman, make the fallen fade into the chaos codex and give Cypher a paragraph in the codex. But I have a feeling that would burn an already fragile bridge with DA players. There is a lot more winding up with the DA story line than can be settled with just a codex and primarch model.

I can honestly see it being anything really (though I agree Angron and Fulgrim are likely next for Chaos).

On one hand, DA and SW will likely get their codexes before they drop a new WE or EC line, so I'd expect Lion or Russ to come.

But they also both seem like the "easiest" primarchs to return -- we know the Lion is still around and Russ has at least said he will return. If GW is really going to do most/all of the loyalists, are they just going to keep doing the next easiest one? I think if the next one was a Dorn, robo Ferrus, or maybe a possessed Sanguinor or something, that'd make a much more interesting story than "we've found our next brother who's been lost in the warp/webway/wherever".

But then again, the CSM are kind of mirroring the regular marine lines now: Codex marines - undivided, and the Cult legions are separate like Sw, BA, and DA. So you'd think Russ and Lion should get their models for sure... leaving BA all alone (I expect Sanguinor will get bumped to a primarch-ish statline).

Anyway, I do expect WE and EC getting full lines. We'll probably see some sort of new line early in the new year (whether it's new sisters or one of those Chaos armies). It doesn't look like any current lines are going to get a redo during the codex releases, which we're what about half way through now? But it'd be crazy to not think that GW isn't going to have anything come out for another 6 months or so?

Dark Angels are much more likely to be among the last (if not the very last) due to all the complex unfinished business. You've got to handle the fallen, Cypher (who is currently still in a prison on Terra), the fact that the Unforgiven still operate as a legion and Jonson would not be very impressed with the state of the Imperium.

Sure, GW could just "do it" and make Jonson fall in line, submit to Guilliman, make the fallen fade into the chaos codex and give Cypher a paragraph in the codex. But I have a feeling that would burn an already fragile bridge with DA players. There is a lot more winding up with the DA story line than can be settled with just a codex and primarch model.

I really don't see how "It's gonna be complicated" or "It would be a lot of work" is an argument for or against anything. If anything it means there would be a lot of potential for GW to write a lot of stuff which would be more good than bad.

I really don't see how "It's gonna be complicated" or "It would be a lot of work" is an argument for or against anything. If anything it means there would be a lot of potential for GW to write a lot of stuff which would be more good than bad.

You don't see how spending months to put everything in place while continuing to release other armies would take months? I honestly don't know how to help there. Writing stuff takes time. Publishing stuff takes time. Most of the other primarchs just need models and an explanation on how they're still alive. Some don't even need the explanation.

You don't see how spending months to put everything in place while continuing to release other armies would take months? I honestly don't know how to help there. Writing stuff takes time. Publishing stuff takes time. Most of the other primarchs just need models and an explanation on how they're still alive. Some don't even need the explanation.

Oh I see you are one of those guys who think everything is done by the same three people so they can't work on more than one thing at the same time.

The only thing I see "complicated" about Lion or Russ (or most loyal primarchs) is actually Guilliman. He has positioned himself as leader and he wasn't their 1st choice, and I get the impression he wasn't their 2nd or even 3rd choice. Lion for sure would have problems seeing as Lion thinks himself the heir. Russ would also have problems seeing how Guillimans codex fractured the legions and made (even Guilliman thought it) a mess of things. Other primarchs may have other issues with Guilliman. (personally I think Dorn or maybe even the Lion would be a better pick).

For GW the only complicated thing is flushing out the story well enough to appease people. Fall of Cadia/Return of Guilliman were not that great and rubbed majority of people the wrong way. If they gave the right writer the necessary time and rights they could do it, and I honestly believe that. I think a good writer can take a crappy scenario and turn it into a good story. GW just needs to think things out.

Anyways back to subject...

Angron being next Primarch: No. Angron being next Chaos Primarch: Probably. By the Emperor I hope they give Angron a fantastic model though, something real brutish and just overfilling with rage.

Cypher (who is currently still in a prison on Terra), 

Um... Cypher escaped that prison within a week of being caught, it's right there in the Epilogue of the Gathering Storm 3.

About Primarchs, I don't know if it's cut and dry that they're going to alternate loyalists and traitors. We only know for sure where 2 loyal Primarchs are, Guilliman and The Lion. There are a lot of others that are /probably/ still alive, and could return in theory, but they're all basically Schrodinger's Primarchs until GW lets us know that they're alive or dead. Whereas with the traitors, we have GW confirming 6 are alive, one is unquestionably dead, one is dead with uncertainty, and Alphariusomegon is half dead and half unconfirmed. So if they're going to release 18 models, alternating makes sense. If they're going to release 8, then it may be very traitor oriented more often than not. Now I fully believe that we'll see more than just Guilliman and The Lion, but who knows what their ultimate goal is.

And about The Lion, a lot of people seem to be sure that he'll oppose Guilliman. They were both part of the triumvirate in Imperium Secundus, and the only conflict I could see if it they both demand to be de facto Emperor. I can't see The Lion being upset over the Legions being broken up because, well, the Dark Angels never truly broke up. If anything, I feel like we may get Imperium Secundus Secundus, and the real friction wouldn't come until they brought back a third Primarch to reallllly oppose them. Of course, I'm as likely to be wrong as right until GW makes a move. :)

Oh I see you are one of those guys who think everything is done by the same three people so they can't work on more than one thing at the same time.

Get 30 writers and have them all write different parts of the same story at the same time. Clearly you've never worked on a major project before.

On the bright side, us being one of the later codices means we'll get a good codex with the bumps smoothed out. Not shafted like Space Marines got with the limitations on chapter tactics that were lifted on other codices for their subjection rules. In the Codex race, last place is the best place.

Topic moved from N&R : with a lack of any concrete evidence, the thread has moved on to just discussing which primarch is believed to come next.

Please remember to stay on that topic - whether chaos or Imperium has had more love recently isn't part of that.

++++ A LOT OF SALT++++ So the Irony here with the Rumor is I have a very good friend who works for GW doing  marketing and sales and  he just returned from one of their marketing and sales conferences. We were discussing the Primarchs over a few beers last weekend. He made it very clear to me and stressed what he was saying with out Directly admitting knowledge that "if he was a betting man" the next of the LOYALIST Primarchs would be the Lion, then Russ and then the Return of who he knows is my favorite Primarch, sprinkled with the Deamon Prince Primarchs in between (because he knows i care very little for chaos) very similar to dark imperium releases. He also said don't rule out Plastic Sister in late 2018 since this was a very good sales year and the developers are listening to the audience/players now. He said the end of 2017 and what is on the docket for 2018 will be the largest amount of new releases in the 40k model range they have ever done.....so again take it with ++++SALT++++ but the things he has told me so far have been pretty accurate....I am just not a big spoiler junkie. 

Yeah this just seems like an educated guess that any of us could have made.

More like uneducated guess. We already have Chaos books out, if they wanted to release a primarch, they could have held CSM book in reserve a bit, they weren't in that big of a rush. Add to that the fact logic would dictate next primarch to be loyalist, from sales perspective if nothing else (come on, this year saw massive glut of Chaos releases, anyone who thinks GW would pile more of them on top is insane)..

Not really. The Daemon Primarchs are part of their own armies, not CSM. No conflict there at all.

And Guilliman was a huge leap in the fluff, the climax of a three book campaign that changed the 40K universe. Angron being released with World Eaters seems like less of a stretch than GW doing that all over again.

And next doesn’t mean soon. I wouldn’t expect to see anything Primarch related before this time next year. Not exactly piling onto the CSM release.

But I don’t work for GW, so I don’t know. Could be Ferrus for all I know. :)

++++ A LOT OF SALT++++ So the Irony here with the Rumor is I have a very good friend who works for GW doing  marketing and sales and  he just returned from one of their marketing and sales conferences. We were discussing the Primarchs over a few beers last weekend. He made it very clear to me and stressed what he was saying with out Directly admitting knowledge that "if he was a betting man" the next of the LOYALIST Primarchs would be the Lion, then Russ and then the Return of who he knows is my favorite Primarch, sprinkled with the Deamon Prince Primarchs in between (because he knows i care very little for chaos) very similar to dark imperium releases. He also said don't rule out Plastic Sister in late 2018 since this was a very good sales year and the developers are listening to the audience/players now. He said the end of 2017 and what is on the docket for 2018 will be the largest amount of new releases in the 40k model range they have ever done.....so again take it with ++++SALT++++ but the things he has told me so far have been pretty accurate....I am just not a big spoiler junkie.

A lot of that make sense, but one thing... What is your favorite primarch

Archived