Plagueburst crawler! New unit, new dream

Kimbo

The 12" range wont matter in most cases because you can now split fire weapons and 90% of the time the enemy will have something more than 12" away. Remember you dont even need to be able to seee them either. 

Driving them forward might be okay but the Mortar has a 12" minimum range. Bloatdrones can fill the same roll, are faster and can retreat and shoot in the next phase. 

I like the Idea of ramming it forward 

I like the idea of having a lord near my artillery line to help them with rerolls.

What should he look like? How would an "artillery officer" lord look like? Need to make a custom model for it!

I reckon a corrupted techmarine (with a Nurgling or three) would look good so it looks like he is keeping an eye on his creations / charges

I like the idea of having a lord near my artillery line to help them with rerolls.

What should he look like? How would an "artillery officer" lord look like? Need to make a custom model for it!

I reckon a corrupted techmarine (with a Nurgling or three) would look good so it looks like he is keeping an eye on his creations / charges

That is actually a very good idea.

He needs optics. All the optics.

If I was to make one I would look to find lenses like the AoS luminark has on it's gun, and use some tech-marineie bits too (but for deathguard you should use a plague marine body.)

He needs optics. All the optics.

If I was to make one I would look to find lenses like the AoS luminark has on it's gun, and use some tech-marineie bits too (but for deathguard you should use a plague marine body.)

When you guys are talking about a chaos tech marine..what model exactley are Ee talking about? And what loadout of guns? Im new to chaos so i need all the help!

Grab a Techpriest Dominus/ Enginseer and Chaosify him up!

Then the only wargear you really need to give him is a power axe and maybe a gun.

Hmm, using the chaos lord data sheet to represent a member of the dark mechanicus is a pretty good idea.  If I spin it like that then I shouldn't feel so bad about having a lord without T5 and disgustingly resilient.  

Exactly why I said it ;)

Plus if you're using him to buff daemon engines it makes even more sense :D

• 2 weeks later...

Long time since we talked about the new crawler...

anyone tried it out yet?

What did you think?

How many did you use?

It's on order for me, getting it next weekend. I plan on using it in the backfield with entropy cannons, with a lord parked nearby to help with the rerolls as discussed before (the helm relic is good if you want to put the lord close enough to other things for the same aura) , and a helbrute to both support it shooting as well as fend off deepstrikers. We'll see, I plan on having enough threats up at the front line that these guys can do their jobs peacefully (drones , shooty marines in rhinos that can then ram and putridly explode, poxwalkers screen)

I'm not a DG player but I can say that the vehicle is pretty effective vs. my Thousand Sons.

The T8 is it's biggest advantage after cool weaponry. I spend a lot of points on bolters that will wound you on a 6 and you have enough poxwalkers to screen for my Smites, so they wont really touch your tanks.

As an opponent of a few DG players, I recommend that you take two of them. In fact, I am convinced that if you take one of each unit that DG just got in their book, you can do quite well.

Edited by Archaeinox

I am pretty sold on the Plagueburst Crawler, and I'll explain why.

A lot of the time, we want an ablative unit at the front of our advance to draw fire and make use of Cloud of Flies.  I was initially going to use poxwalkers for this, but they have some problems, one being that they're actually slower than a lot of the units I'd want to screen.  I had 26 poxwalkers in my list, but then I realised for the points I could take a Crawler.  The Crawler is faster, has much better shooting, has only half the wounds but much better toughness and saves so is probably about as resilient.

With 2x Plaguespitters, your foe basically has to answer it before it gets too close, and if they're shooting this, my plague marines and blightlords are getting less attention than they might.  

Also, when I'm the defender and not wanting to move across the table (e.g. vs Orks where I'd want to break them down with shooting before they charge), the Crawler is a really decent defensive unit, firing away with the mortar and slugger and then lurching forward to spray them down with the plaguespitters when they're close enough.  

T8, 3+, 5++, 5++ W12 is plenty tough for (edit) the points.  

I'll be taking 2 to begin with, probably 3 if they're as good as it seems.  

This is a really good idea! but I think there are better options for this purpose. The Blight hauler seems to do everything you just said but better. Multimelta & missiles hitting on 3+ (if taken in groups of 3, just do it) with no movement penalty for anti tank, and your plague marines count as being in cover if they stay close. Similar in cost and is a better screen IMO. Maybe a mix of both is best?

I am pretty sold on the Plagueburst Crawler, and I'll explain why.

A lot of the time, we want an ablative unit at the front of our advance to draw fire and make use of Cloud of Flies.  I was initially going to use poxwalkers for this, but they have some problems, one being that they're actually slower than a lot of the units I'd want to screen.  I had 26 poxwalkers in my list, but then I realised for the points I could take a Crawler.  The Crawler is faster, has much better shooting, has only half the wounds but much better toughness and saves so is probably about as resilient.

With 2x Plaguespitters, your foe basically has to answer it before it gets too close, and if they're shooting this, my plague marines and blightlords are getting less attention than they might.  

Also, when I'm the defender and not wanting to move across the table (e.g. vs Orks where I'd want to break them down with shooting before they charge), the Crawler is a really decent defensive unit, firing away with the mortar and slugger and then lurching forward to spray them down with the plaguespitters when they're close enough.  

T8, 3+, 5++, 5++ W12 is plenty tough for (edit) the points.  

I'll be taking 2 to begin with, probably 3 if they're as good as it seems.  

This is a really good idea! but I think there are better options for this purpose. The Blight hauler seems to do everything you just said but better. Multimelta & missiles hitting on 3+ (if taken in groups of 3, just do it) with no movement penalty for anti tank, and your plague marines count as being in cover if they stay close. Similar in cost and is a better screen IMO. Maybe a mix of both is best?

I agree that a mix of both is pretty nice.  The trouble with the Haulers is that they're a lot less durable (4 fewer wounds, T7).  Because of the way Disgustingly resilient works, more wounds is actually very valuable, so if you're just after the ablative pressure unit, the Crawler looks a lot better to me.  It will also do more damage when it "gets in" (dem plaguespitters baby), which imo makes it more of a priority when shooting for your enemy.  

I forgot to mention above, that when the damaged Crawlers get in, Putrid Detonation is the stratagem of choice to maximize your return.  That was another factor in my suggesting this use for the Crawler.  

Edited by Guidebot

I like the idea of the Crawler in the front leading the way. You will always have a target outside the minimum range somewhere to fire the mortar at, and the spitters are just good. My drones with spitters have often been my MVP. Having 2 is a must and will really leave other units in your army safe to do their thing while the enemy tries to take out a T8 3+ 12 wound model with Disgustingly Resilient. for only 150 points. That is a good return.

You could also march a Plague Surgeon up next to them to give a bubble of reroll 1's on DR and as others suggested a Lord to help with hit rolls. If I use the advancing tactic with my Crawlers, I would probably march my Prince up along with them. My opponent will probably have to decide what is the bigger threat, the prince or the crawlers and if I keep the prince back behind the crawlers, I can get him into action safer because he will not be shot while the crawlers screen him.

You could also march a Plague Surgeon up next to them to give a bubble of reroll 1's on DR and as others suggested a Lord to help with hit rolls. If I use the advancing tactic with my Crawlers, I would probably march my Prince up along with them. My opponent will probably have to decide what is the bigger threat, the prince or the crawlers and if I keep the prince back behind the crawlers, I can get him into action safer because he will not be shot while the crawlers screen him.

Surgeon works on Infantry only unfortunately