Different Marks of Terminator Armor

Good evening all! This is my first discussion post beyond uploading my custom chapter WIP, so I feel like a turtle poking his head out for the first time. I looked through about 4 pages of discussion topics trying to see if this has already been covered and did not see anything. Thus if I am repeating a thread I apologize and will serve my penance with grim resolve for my transgression. 

My friend and I were painting and putting together our armies a few weeks back. I am working on a Dark Angels Vanguard Detachment and he is building a Crimson Fist Vanguard Detachment. While we were working on it, he said he was going to use some Cataphractii Termies in his elite slot. He asked if I was going to use any other pattern besides the Indomitus pattern, to which I replied no because, well, I can't.

So my question is, why don't we have access to Tartaros or Cataphractii Terminator armor? I want to make a quick note here and say that I probably wouldn't use either mark as I love the way Indomitus looks and I feel like it is a superior suit. But wouldn't a Chapter known for having the most lethal and deadly Terminators in the 40k universe (not to mention the most numerous suits of Terminator armor) have access to Tartaros and Cataphractii models? Is this just GW dropping the ball? Or is there a reason that I have overlooked?

The good bet is we will still have only the Indomitus. While I am going to model my knights and veterans etc in older marks of Terminator armour, I am quite ready to table-top them only as Indomitus.

I think part of the reason we don't get them is because we get other cool goodies like the dark talon and dark shroud, from a game play standpoint. I don't see why we wouldn't own any from a fluff point. Maybe we can produce our own termie armor in house, and attrition destroyed our older suits. maybe indominus fits the mission of the deathwing the best.

Personally, my termies will be a mix of cataphractii, tartaros, and indominus, all in the same squad.

Fluff wise the deathwing uses suits that are made of different types. In the Ravenwing series it is mentioned that pieces are from older versions (I want to say a tartorus helmet but I can't remember the specific). So perhaps the deathwing just decide to piece it out rather than consolidate it together?

I personally wouldn't mind someone using different marks of terminators for their deathwing.  Honestly, It is something that I have thought about doing before as well.  I would just use the rules for regular indomitus deathwing and have the armor just be an aesthetic choice.  

It would be pretty cool if we could upgrade our deathwing to cataphractii or tartaros, but I can't see it happening.  As Dark Angels we already get a whole bunch of special units, the vanilla codex needs to have some units to set it apart too.

A fluff explanation could be that the Tartaros and Cataphracti armour are considered chapter relics and used by the Consecrators instead. 

Are the Tartaros and Cataphracti kits compatible with the current Deathwing Terminator kit?  If so we may see access with the new codex. 

Thanks everyone for the responses! I meant to stay on top of this post but life is a cruel mistress. 

I am glad to see that I am not the only one puzzled by the lack of access to older marks of Terminator Armor. I really hope that the new Codex gives us a few perks in regards to Terminator bonuses, as I am still puzzled that we also do not have the Emergency Teleport capability like Vanilla Terminators. I have seen some really cool models where people kitbash the Cataphractii and Tartaros Armor with the current Deathwing Knight kits. Plus, with Forgeworld and the Horus Heresy series, it wouldn't be too terribly hard to just use the Dark Angels iconography for the Heresy models in the 40k setting, minus a few adjustments. I guess until our Codex comes out, I will have to satisfy my alternate Terminator armor itch by just running them as Deathwing with their regular stats.  

They may very well add in some functionality to DW terminators in our codex. The index was really just to get us playing quickly with the new rules with a decent balance all around. With the codices, they are adding on to the armies, adding in flavour and functionality, as well as options. I hope they add in our heritage toys as the first legion, but we also need to realise that we can't have everything regular codex compliant marines have, due to us being a much better choice at that point. I do wish for the Storm Raven though :D .

They may very well add in some functionality to DW terminators in our codex. The index was really just to get us playing quickly with the new rules with a decent balance all around. With the codices, they are adding on to the armies, adding in flavour and functionality, as well as options. I hope they add in our heritage toys as the first legion, but we also need to realise that we can't have everything regular codex compliant marines have, due to us being a much better choice at that point. I do wish for the Storm Raven though :biggrin.: .

That really sucks though... Even in official art for that flyer game GW did, DA were flying stromtalons. Not having Thunderfire cannon or AA tanks or Ironclad Dreadnoughts??? They can keep centurions if they want though... Im really gonna speculate that we wont be getting other terminators.

Edited by Stormxlr

We did get specific DA termies -- DW Command squad/DW Knights. I doubt they gonna release ANY new models for DA with next codex release, if you follow the current codex releases, armies do get some new units, but not new models, hopefully we'll get more.

It always bugged me, that DA has no access to storm ravens though :)

Well, since they gave Grey Knights the storm hawk its possible that we could get the raven.

Yup, since I play GK as well, I hope they do this. It's a beast this edition.