What models for Renegade sniper?

Trystram

Maybe I should wait for the next FW FAQ for R&H but I want to start building my renegades army now so I was wondering what everyone is using for snipers? 

I saw some Catachan snipers on eBay but they are pretty pricey and they are metal so not a lot of options for conversion.

Cadian Command Squad seems to have at least 1 sniper but to have say 3 X Marauder squads with 2 per squad I'd have to by 6 boxes to get 6 snipers...ouch!

I did buy a cheap scout sniper sprue but I think the bodies for SM Scouts are too well armoured and chunky for renegades.  

Another option might be Tempestus as their hot-shot lasguns look a bit like a sniper rifle and cutting off the pipes might be look ok.

Ideas/thoughts?

Using either the SM Scout Sprue or the Ratlins are I think the easiest ways to at least get the weapons you are looking for. Or if you are not GW loyal you could try to find something on another site that fits, at least weapons wise, with what you are looking for.

Personally I have some ancient Chaos Squats that I will be converting up into snipers when I ever get around to it.

I have been using Anvil industry's PMC models since I figured it would make sense considering marauders were mercenaries.  If you go to their custom veteran squad you can get ten models with up to three of them using sniper rifles!  Depending on the head you use it can fit what a gothic mercenary might look like. I'm personally going to be using them for all of my marauders since I imagine them being more detached from the main Renegade cause.  Their pox troopers are also a GREAT looking disciple model!

• 3 weeks later...

Militarium tempestus models would probably look great, you can easily chaosify them with spikes, skulls and whatnot. Their rifles almost work since they have scopes, just need to make the barrels longer. 

Yes, I did pick up some weapon bits from Tempestus. If you cut the hoses off the hotshot lasguns they are are pretty decent sniper alternatives.

• 1 month later...

I bet guard players have a crapton of sniper bits lying around, since I don't think they use them a lot.

...but on the other hand, convert!

On my vets I used the targeting thingy from the heavy weapon kit and made a scope, a silencer and a bit longer barrel and perhaps...

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img22/6668/qofp.jpg

Hmm, now I'm giving myself ideas... :P

• 4 weeks later...

Late to the party, but anyway. I built one from a cultist and Space Marine scout sniper arms. Required minimal green-stuffing only. Scion head for a more militaristic look. I realise the picture isn't great, but I only have my phone - best I can do:

gallery_80057_11150_334272.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I made my (albeit loyalist) sniper spotter/marksman teams using lasguns with lengthened barrels and scratch-built scopes and bipods.

The scopes are made from two thicknesses of pipe. The barrel extensions are the same larger pipe.

The special helmets from Chimera kits (I only had 2) also help the look.

Bipods are cardboard and paper clips.

Hidden Content

gallery_63428_8145_18825.jpggallery_63428_8145_25330.jpg

Spotters, starting with squad leader.gallery_63428_8145_2617.jpggallery_63428_8145_24480.jpggallery_63428_8145_16419.jpggallery_63428_8145_28152.jpggallery_63428_8145_2322.jpg

And the shooters.gallery_63428_8145_15420.jpggallery_63428_8145_12774.jpggallery_63428_8145_17223.jpggallery_63428_8145_32871.jpg

This little guy here wasn't originally built as a renegade sniper (but rather as a mutant member of an INQ28 retinue), but I suppose a similar recipe would still work for an actual renegade:

elias-cobb-1.jpg

It's a really simple conversion based on one of the "bonus" Gnoblar models that come with virtually all of the various Ogre Kingdoms kits. I merely spliced in a Kroot rifle and a crypt ghoul head (with a Cadian rebreather). Hope this helps! :)

Nice work everyone... just wanted to say the Space Marine Scout kit comes with x1 Sniper Rifle without any arms/hands attached, I'm going to try and get it to fit Catachan, Escher and Goliath arms later this week an see which proportions look best.

Archived