Death guard in the competive scene?

Kimbo

FW dudes

wyverns

Please elaborate my spiritual liege

Necrosius any good for increased magic output and defense?

Necrosius is crazy good for 10pts more than a standard Plague caster he gets a 4+ inv save can cast 3 powers instead of 2 as well as deny 2 enemy powers, plus for poxwalkers they can re roll all 1s for Disgustingly Resilence within 6

Not quite, he can only cast 2 powers and deny 3, like Mortarion.

I don't think any of the brutal WAAC lists or possibly even "competitive" 40k was ever the intention for the game.. GW claims they are a model company first and game company second. They certainly are not about making sure every army across the board is competitive on their own. They've created a game and background to enhance the gamers enjoyment and to keep us around as long as possible. 

I honestly think unless the tournament is designed to require some sort of a fluff element you have to take advantage of army strengths and yes spam if it need be, in order to be competitive. The point of competition is to win, no? WAAC in a tournament setting, not a local setting, makes sense. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

I play local tourney from time to time because it's mostly friendly, no cash prizes or anything. Mostly it's all friendly games with people I know.

So far my plague marines have been invaluable. Tough and hard to kill, decent dmg output.

The blight lords and death shroud have been amazing, pox walkers are more of an annoyance then anything. I cant wait to get the crawler and hauler to try those out

I play local tourney from time to time because it's mostly friendly, no cash prizes or anything. Mostly it's all friendly games with people I know.

So far my plague marines have been invaluable. Tough and hard to kill, decent dmg output.

The blight lords and death shroud have been amazing, pox walkers are more of an annoyance then anything. I cant wait to get the crawler and hauler to try those out

Death shroud have been amazing?

A lot of things that normally get put aside as being not worth the points are amazing in actual casual games. You'd be surprised how well 7e Tyranids without Flyrant spam were doing in my group in casual games. ;)

May I ask how you were loading out those plage marines and blightlords?  Cheers =)

Hi Khar'vros how has the flail worked out for you? I've just built and basecoated 5 Blight Lords with 4 combi plasma and axes, one with the blight launcher and a sword because I ran out of axes lol. I have another box so can easily add a flail if it's worth it?

A lot of things that normally get put aside as being not worth the points are amazing in actual casual games. You'd be surprised how well 7e Tyranids without Flyrant spam were doing in my group in casual games. :wink:

The opposing army would have to be very very bottom tier  and not kill the ground synaps turn1, for that to happen. And even then the tyranid would be losing  by plain virtue of being unable to deal with both flyers and ground vehicles at the same time with one build.

Hi Khar'vros how has the flail worked out for you? I've just built and basecoated 5 Blight Lords with 4 combi plasma and axes, one with the blight launcher and a sword because I ran out of axes lol. I have another box so can easily add a flail if it's worth it?

It is not worth it, they are not free and you need to run 3 to smooth out the avarge [and you have only 1 free slot]. Take an ax instead there is ton of plastic axs that work fine in the WFB model range.

Thanks Khar'vros and jeske, it's nice to hear the views of players from different metas. From your replies jeske I guess you are looking at hard core ITC tournaments? We do have a few ITC players locally but I can't get close to giving them a tough game lol but I know what I will be getting into if I face them at least.

A lot of things that normally get put aside as being not worth the points are amazing in actual casual games. You'd be surprised how well 7e Tyranids without Flyrant spam were doing in my group in casual games. :wink:

The opposing army would have to be very very bottom tier  and not kill the ground synaps turn1, for that to happen. And even then the tyranid would be losing  by plain virtue of being unable to deal with both flyers and ground vehicles at the same time with one build.

Not quite. However I don't really expect you to understand how casual games work based on your usual replies, so no worries. ^^

No, reaper is trash.

Also, while it's annoying to hear that units/armies are bad in the competitive scene and the best stuff looks like Frankensteins monster in terms of cohesiveness, the thread is about competitive play. I love the Deathshroud and will probably be putting them into a lot of lists, but they're really too expensive for their relative impact. Flails are in a bit of a similar spot; really cool in concept, but ok-ish? in practice because at most you'll only ever get 2d3 worth of attacks per squad.

It's also kind of important to go with the average point levels when talking about competitive viability. Some armies can be way better at lower points levels, while using far higher points can give you the liberty to make really janky things work since it doesn't take up as many points as "normal"

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

How many of you are using power levels for games? At the local GW stores most people playing pick up games are using power levels rather than points. That being so does it make any difference to DG play strengths? I kind of wonder if GW spent more time on power rather than points?

Most players seem to be happy using power levels but the local group are pretty relaxed about win or lose and the really comp top tier list guys rarely game in the stores anyway, if they turn up they will be playing a pre arranged game against a similar style of list.

Edited by PJ1933

They're hot garbage for competitive. There's always going to be disparity between points and unit efficacy vs other units, but power is even more nebulous and based off of most expensive loadout. 5 plague marines with nothing cost the same as 5 plague marines with powerfist-plasma champ, 2 cleaver and 2 spewers. Forgewrold has some even crazier differences with the Hellforged Cerberus being 2 or 3 less power, but only having a 20 points difference between the two

How many of you are using power levels for games? At the local GW stores locally most people playing pick up games are using power levels rather than points. That being so does it make any difference to DG play strengths? I kind of wonder if GW spent more time on power rather than points?

Most players seem to be happy using power levels but the local group are pretty relaxed about win or lose and the really comp top tier list guys rarely game in the stores anyway, if they turn up they will be playing a pre arranged game against a similar style of list.

Never for competitive (although as I said I don't play competitive, I only gave my viewpoint about Death Guard in competitive play).  I like power level though, just feel if people are going to immediately go "Wow I get everything for free" then power level isn't really for them anyways, and it's never going to work in a competitive setting where it's all about min-maxing.

Im so glad I dont play competitive 40k, everything Jeske suggested sounds boring and restrictive to me.

That's why I usually just ignore his posts unless it's really about how competetive a specific unit or loadout is. ^^

Jeske's idea of competitive doesn't even match up to a lot of frequent tournament players so even then I mostly ignore him. Melee plague marines are amazing even if you're just footslogging 15-20 behind a screen. Judging melee units based on their ability to run at a gunline just seems like noob thinking.

Loads of people do well in tournaments with lists that ignore 'the received wisdom'.

How well do you think the Plagueburst is going to work in a competitive environment? 

Plagueburst crawler spam is horribly powerful when combined with Mortarion or just a arch contaminator lord. Someone did very well in a recent tournament with 6 of them.

I've only played 2 games and against the same opponent, but the flails were amazing. As a 3 point upgrade they feel overpowered. It doesn't matter that the gimmick doesn't always pull off because S6 -2ap 2dm rerolling 1s is good against everything anyway.

I wasn't using combi-plasmas though, just cheap units with the heavy flamer equivalent.