CCCP IV: Poll Thread and Initial Discussion (The Taurans)

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Night Watch have potential as a force that shows the nature of the Space Marines as guardians against the dark. We could look at them being noble warriors - perhaps the reason that they have a non-codex structure is that they're spread out across many worlds trying to defend them - or perhaps we could look at the idea tat they pit themselves against monsters and they have become monsters themselves, willingly sacrificing the citizenry of the Imperium in order to save the worlds of the Imperium. Perhaps the red skull on their heraldry is a mark of censure/shame - perhaps they have been warned by the High Lords or forced to embark upon a Penitence Crusade.

Now on this subject regarding the Night Watch, we could go down the route of them being silent watchers/voyagers of the space routes around the Eye of Terror, as they are part of the fabled Astartes Praeses. This could open up some interesting writing and character development on how have theyt coped since the Cicatrix Maledictum emerged and Cadia fell to Abbadon and to Chaos, how did the Night Watch fare? Have they now become more fatalistic as they rebuild from that period as the Primaris arrive to rebuild their chapter with the loss of their historyt and legacy to the warp storm that likely would have engulfed their homeworld.

The Tauran - unusual name. They are bullish, they have chosen to take on the icon of the bull. Perhaps they are stubborn, hard-headed. Imperial Fist successors? Part of me thinks to ideas of Knights, though not in an Arthurian sense. I imagine their Chapter Champion with a horned helmet. A Chapter whose brothers duel to resolve issues, and who maintain their position through force of arms. Perhaps a Chapter of 'monster hunters', a Chapter that constantly pledges itself to the fiercest and harshest campaigns. A Chapter committed to the idea of 'strength through strife.' A Chapter that, when the Tyranids appeared, were overjoyed - they had a true, implacable enemy against which to pit themselves. Somehow I imagine them tearing through Tyranid hive-ships. There's an element for me imagining them as Klingon Space Marines.

I do like the idea of this, a brutal brethren that charges headlong into combat to smash it apart, if we did commit to this and went down the Imperial Fists heritage route, I could easily see them being descendants of the Invaders or possibly the Excoriators given their martial nature of solving issues between brethren and their idea of their relishing of combat against the Tyranids (when possibly the Orks were their last favourite quarry to battle).

Regarding the Halo Dragons, it's very difficult to work out what to do with them, as the slate is a little too blank, but we could go down with them being Fire Lords, or Salamanders descendants to utilise aerial combat and fire based weaponry to burn away enemies and utilise rapid strikes with vehicles and jump infantry as opposed to foot slogging or through protracted defence.

Cambrius

I'd overlooked the fact that the Night Watch were part of the Praeses, which potentially means they would have some role to play within the Black Crusades (but also on some level makes me less inclined to choose them.) 

I feel as though at this stage we could remove the Marauders, Sons of Antaeus and Halo Dragons from the running, currently leaving us with seven Chapters: 

• Libators
  • Exemplars
  • Night Watch
  • Tauran
  • White Panthers
  • Celebrants
  • Brotherhood of a Thousand

Does anyone else have any other concepts for these Chapters? 

I'd overlooked the fact that the Night Watch were part of the Praeses, which potentially means they would have some role to play within the Black Crusades (but also on some level makes me less inclined to choose them.) 

I feel as though at this stage we could remove the Marauders, Sons of Antaeus and Halo Dragons from the running, currently leaving us with seven Chapters: 

• White Panthers

Does anyone else have any other concepts for these Chapters? 

I recall that the Chapter Master of the White Panthers had been killed at the turn of the 41st Millennium to a rebellion so that could be an interesting hinge of the Chapter re-finding themselves under new leadership, especially when the mix of Primaris Marines is added to the chapter's mojo. Atop that, according to Lexicanum the chapter have performed some very brutal and totalitarian methods of dealing with heresy and threats to the Imperium, such as when they wiped out a planet's entire military network, including the PDF due to the planets' governors plans to secede from the Imperium. Sounds like a possible route of them being sons of Dorn or possibly even sons of Ferrus with their black and white (haha pun) view on loyalty to the Imperium.

Cambrius

For the Taurans, I thought maybe a Spanish Bullfighting type of Origin

"Bullfighting is the only art in which the artist is in danger of death and in which the degree of brilliance in the performance is left to the fighter's honour."

"The bullfight is regarded as a demonstration of style, technique and courage by its participants"

Some thoughts:

Taurans: While I've never been much into the Space Wolves, I always liked the idea of the almost shared consciousness that seems to come with the animal pack phenomenon. Would be interesting exploring what a pack of bulls might be like, how they interact and maintain internal balance and harmony, and how such an energy presents itself and operates as a functional military organisation. Anything too "animaly" is of course a minefield of potential corniness, so we'd need to be careful.

Night Watch: Considering they're of the Praeses and can't be said to be out "watching" a border or an area of mysterious space, perhaps what they watch is more conceptual, the night being the darkness in man itself? Maybe they have a philosophy revolving around a deep mistrust for man and even their own kind, searching for and routing out taint wherever they can find it. Constant internal spiritual "audits", very little internal trust within the ultimately fractured Chapter as brothers are censured and even murdered for perceived sins by the Chaplaincy/Librarius. Maybe because the Chapter had its own fall at some stage, but survived (but how and in what form?).

Libators: Symbolism behind what is poured out and where. Not ancestor worshippers as such, but big on post-battle rituals honouring the dead, perhaps even of both sides. Maybe more Chaplains.

Those of you that have replied - thank you! 

So, I'm compiling the thoughts we've had on the main contenders: 

The Celebrants

2hF8aD0.gif

My personal choice would be the Celebrants, because they're awesome. Minimal official detail except for the super cool colour scheme, a M36 Founding date and the fact they sent all 10 Companies to take part in the 3rd War for Armageddon. I'd been meaning to work up an IA for them for ages, but kept getting sidetracked and so all I've got so far is the following quote: "Aye, we are the Celebrants. For with a loaded boltgun in my fist and the enemies of Mankind before me, what greater cause for rejoicing could I have?"

they have a truely unique colour scheme (a gradient scheme transitioning from red at the top down to yellow at the bottom ) along with an peculiar name that speaks to me of an unusually upbeat and boisterous Chapter who really, really love their job! 

The colour scheme and the tone of their own name invites ideas that are out of the norm for most DIY Chapters, imo. You don't see a great deal of "boisterous" Chapters...

I really can't see them ending up as Happy/Frat Boy Marines - in fact, without getting into too much detail, I was picturing them less as wild, SW-boisterous types and more as educated warrior-scholars who are able to be joyful because they understand their role and purpose and place in the galaxy. I also like the real world meaning of Celebrant as someone who officiates over various ceremonies and rites of passage, perhaps something to think about if we go with them. Anyway, that's getting way too far ahead of things...

Have you considered what the Celebrants, psychopaths much like their other brethren, actually do to earn their name? What would psychopaths, not only with reinforced thought processes by psycho-conditioning and hypno-suggestion but a singular purpose and a violent raison d'etre, spend their time? 

What is joy to a psychopath? What is worth celebrating to people that literally live to kill and be killed?

My initial thoughts on the idea of the Celebrants is a Chapter who honours all efforts to the good of the Imperial cause, specifically through ritual and ceremony. They might raise memorials on planets they've conquered, make speeches post-battle honouring the sacrifices of the forces involved, etc. 

Well celebrants in the real world aren't limited to officiating 'happy' ceremonies either, they preside over burials and funerals too. Given their colour scheme and the flame colours, maybe they could preside over cremations or something. They could be astartes undertakers, if we're talking grimdark. I'm a little concerned we're taking their 'cheer' or 'joy' as written already - I think it's the stranger of the two readings of the word celebrant in this context. But if people want to go with them because they might be more cheerful or joyful, then I'll be quiet 

Brotherhood of a Thousand

FEsokUF.jpg

Now I recall a cool idea we had last time we were planning on a collaboration and these guys came up. I think the concept revolved around each Battle Brother no longer having a name when they ascend from the Scout Company and are given a number that is available from 1-1000.

That's the thing, certain numbers are held with esteem or despised. The famous Chapter Masters carrying the number 434 and the maligned and cursed number 993, who has been found wanting in loyalty twice. Such potential.

Perhaps even the geneseed could be numbered with marines being proud or ashamed of their previous owner. Numbers could even be removed as you alluded to. 

I think it'd have to focus on the Brotherhood bit, of standing shoulder to shoulder, facing the enemies of Man. Getting too literal with the numbers feels like it would cause problems. After all, we all know that 1000 Marines is a myth, so how do you name the Marines above the 1k limit? Plus Latin number based names work when it's 6 or 7, but what about Brother 443 (Quadringenti quadrāgintā tres, I looked it up!) or 678?

The Tauran

OnqdAqh.jpg

The Tauran - unusual name. They are bullish, they have chosen to take on the icon of the bull. Perhaps they are stubborn, hard-headed. Imperial Fist successors? Part of me thinks to ideas of Knights, though not in an Arthurian sense. I imagine their Chapter Champion with a horned helmet. A Chapter whose brothers duel to resolve issues, and who maintain their position through force of arms. Perhaps a Chapter of 'monster hunters', a Chapter that constantly pledges itself to the fiercest and harshest campaigns. A Chapter committed to the idea of 'strength through strife.' A Chapter that, when the Tyranids appeared, were overjoyed - they had a true, implacable enemy against which to pit themselves. Somehow I imagine them tearing through Tyranid hive-ships. There's an element for me imagining them as Klingon Space Marines. 

Taurans, though, were somehow an African theme tribe, making use of Shakas horned bull tactics and reforms in my mind. Combined with your beast hunter-ish Knights, this could be really cool!

Further, I can also imagine them being a Dark Angels successor. Stubborn, unorthodox, knight-ish along potential secrets and some shrouded parts in their history. And you got me with Klingon Marines.:wink:

Some blood rituals could be fitting as well!

I do like the idea of this, a brutal brethren that charges headlong into combat to smash it apart, if we did commit to this and went down the Imperial Fists heritage route, I could easily see them being descendants of the Invaders or possibly the Excoriators given their martial nature of solving issues between brethren and their idea of their relishing of combat against the Tyranids (when possibly the Orks were their last favourite quarry to battle).

While I've never been much into the Space Wolves, I always liked the idea of the almost shared consciousness that seems to come with the animal pack phenomenon. Would be interesting exploring what a pack of bulls might be like, how they interact and maintain internal balance and harmony, and how such an energy presents itself and operates as a functional military organisation. Anything too "animaly" is of course a minefield of potential corniness, so we'd need to be careful.

The Night Watch

ip5EmxY.jpg

Maybe we could turn them into allies of one of the lesser inquisitorial Ordos akin to the Deathwatch?

The Night Watch have potential as a force that shows the nature of the Space Marines as guardians against the dark. We could look at them being noble warriors - perhaps the reason that they have a non-codex structure is that they're spread out across many worlds trying to defend them - or perhaps we could look at the idea tat they pit themselves against monsters and they have become monsters themselves, willingly sacrificing the citizenry of the Imperium in order to save the worlds of the Imperium. Perhaps the red skull on their heraldry is a mark of censure/shame - perhaps they have been warned by the High Lords or forced to embark upon a Penitence Crusade.

Now on this subject regarding the Night Watch, we could go down the route of them being silent watchers/voyagers of the space routes around the Eye of Terror, as they are part of the fabled Astartes Praeses. This could open up some interesting writing and character development on how have theyt coped since the Cicatrix Maledictum emerged and Cadia fell to Abbadon and to Chaos, how did the Night Watch fare? Have they now become more fatalistic as they rebuild from that period as the Primaris arrive to rebuild their chapter with the loss of their historyt and legacy to the warp storm that likely would have engulfed their homeworld.

Considering they're of the Praeses and can't be said to be out "watching" a border or an area of mysterious space, perhaps what they watch is more conceptual, the night being the darkness in man itself? Maybe they have a philosophy revolving around a deep mistrust for man and even their own kind, searching for and routing out taint wherever they can find it. Constant internal spiritual "audits", very little internal trust within the ultimately fractured Chapter as brothers are censured and even murdered for perceived sins by the Chaplaincy/Librarius. Maybe because the Chapter had its own fall at some stage, but survived (but how and in what form?). 

These four Chapters are now our main contenders - I think the thing to do would be to try to distill a core concept of the Chapter into 100 words. Imagine that these Chapters were featured in the new Codex: Space Marines - what would be the 100 words of text next to the picture? 

Celebrants: A younger chapter raised in the dark days following the Age of Apostasy, they celebrate battle in all its forms and venerate the Immortal Emperor as a warrior-father.   Some within the Inquisition question their purity due to their pre and post battle rites and many an Imperial Governor has refused their aid, fearing what those who so gleefully engage in combat could do.  Their joy for fighting has left them seriously under strength many times, as unlike other chapters they rarely stay long at their fortress monastery or leave companies in reserve should the worst happen.

Brotherhood of 1000: To be a space marine is to sacrifice one's humanity for the sake of mankind.  The brotherhood of 1000 go a step further and sacrifice even their name instead receiving a number.  Without a name they are already dead in the eyes of the eclesiarchy and thus are frequently requested for missions of great import but low likelihood of survival. Their traditions make it difficult even for their own librarians to track the deeds of a specific marine, but perhaps that is what their founder intended.

More to follow on the other 2.

Got a couple of minutes left to write something for the Taurans.

The Taurans

Clad in mysteries and rumors, did the Taurans travel through the known realm of the Imperium, everlasting in their self-proclaimed crusades. Descending from the wealthy system known as Minos, does their reputation speak of ancient and bloody competitions and duels. Within the gigantic Maze of Buchis, which forms the largest arena in Minos did the battle-brothers of the Tauran brotherhood fight against deadly beasts and potent combatants. Following this tradition did the Taurans challenge their fate for countless times against the myriad foes of mankind. Choosing the fiercest and harshest campaigns, braving against all odds, the Taurans never took a step back.

*additional*

Until now did the Inquisition keep a close eye on them. Their tendencies of constantly proving themselves before the eyes of their brothers and the rumored bloody rituals including self inflicted wounds and blood sacrifices, were enough to make the institutions of the Imperium doubtful of their true allegiance. For now, the Taurans fought for the good of man and slayed its foes. But how long will it take to turn doubt into open censure?

++++

I did found something, which could be of interest: in ancient Egypt, there was a sub cult, venerating a bull god named Month. Its incarnation was the Buchis bull. In the end, the bull version of Month was just another interpretation of a hawk god with the same name.

BUT the Buchis bull was said to be white, with a black head. Coincidence?

Second two chapters

Taurans: Named for an ancient Terran creature of legend, the Taurans are savage and stoic warriors.  Their ways and strategies are simple and direct, for the most part stunningly effective.  For few can resist the gathered might a battle company of Astartes can unleash when roused.  The Taurans strive for overwhelming force and rarely fight in numbers lower than a company.  They favour simple and robust weapons, melee weapons such as the axe and maul or bolters, autocannons and missile launchers for distance work.

The Night Watch: The night is dark and full of terrors, nowhere is this more true than the bleak worlds in the shadows of the eye, even now as the galaxy is torn in two.  It is those dark places that the fleet based Astartes Chapter known as the Night Watch call home; doing what must be done far from the light of Terra.  Over time this has caused their chapter structure to evolve from that laid down so many centuries ago in the Codex, allowing them to better field small, flexible forces to guard the realms of man.

Celebrants

Created during the 26th founding, the Celebrants are a relatively young, fleet based chapter. Highly ritualistic, the marines of the chapter believe they have transcended humanity and have become reborn in the highest form of the Emperor's will. Marking this blessed occasion, the chapter conducts war with praises to Him and joyous laughter on their lips. 

Brotherhood of a Thousand

Like many scions of Ferrus Manus, the Brotherhood of a Thousand is known for it's uncompromising and clinical approach to warfare. Upon entering the ranks of the chapter, marines forfeit their birth name and adopt a numerical designation. This practice, amongst others, ensures the chapter is freed from personal attachments allowing the battle-brothers to focus on carrying out their duties and upholding the traditions of their close brotherhood. 

Taurans

The Taurans, a direct and boisterous chapter, are located in the Ultima Segmentum. It is said that once the chapter has deployed, they move ever forward, never taking a step back in the face of their enemy. Recently, the chapter has been embroiled heavily against elements of Hive Fleet Leviathan and is barely above half strength. 

The Night Warch

As a member of the Adeptus Praeses, the marines of The Night Watch are one of many chapters that ensure that the shipping lanes and routes around the Eye of Terror are safeguarded against the threats of Chaos. Due to a high attrition rate, the chapter has adopted a more measure approach in their duties. Warriors of the chapter are broken up into Watcher-Teams, each with their specific objectives and locations to monitor. Once a threat has been identified, a Watcher-Team will neutralize their foes undetected. 

Notes

Celebrants - I was going for a Nirvana-inspired experience in which the chapter celebrates the fact that they've reached the highest level of humanity possible. They live the rest of their lives celebrating their profound transformation knowing that once they die, the cycle of rebirth is over and they will join the Emperor at his side. I suggested a fleet based chapter because the idea of a bunch of happy and optimistic marines rampaging around the galaxy, singing and laughing while murdering the enemies of the Imperium, is absolutely epic in my mind. However, having a home world could benefit them greatly as this thought process of reaching the highest level of humanity could stem from the culture of their home world. 

Brotherhood of a Thousand - They don't necessarily have to be IH successors. It was kind of lazy on my part. In fact, I would find it more interesting to see if they weren't and how they interacted with fellow successors. 

Taurans - Once they draw a line in the sand, they don't ever take a step back, they just keep going forward. Although lacking a little depth, I think a chapter that views themselves as a Bull, protecting his territory, especially against the Tryanids can make for a great narrative. 

The Night Watch - Building off The Black Cohort's ideas, I think it would be cool to have a chapter operate in kill-teams and only call in the big guns if they need to. This could work well with the idea of having them pair up with a branch of the Inquisition, specifically the Ordo Malleus. 

Edited by Sun Reaver

I am not sure if the Celebrants work well as a fleet based chapter, their nature seems like something that should be tied back to a home world culture.

With the brotherhood of 1000 i think being an Iron hands successor makes sense, the cold nature of stripping away name and identity fits. It could be interesting to constrast their removal of identity with other Iron hands ideas on stripping away flesh in favour of machine.

I like the thoughts on the Taurans but boisterous seems like the wrong word for them.

Given that the Night Watch don't use standard codex organization perhaps they have kill teams which exist over and above their normal companies? After all part of the reason deathwatch work so well is most of their members are veterans, a kill team full of guys just out of the scouts probably isn't a good idea. Maybe kill team is the final step before becoming a sgt/ member of the first company?

I am not sure if the Celebrants work well as a fleet based chapter, their nature seems like something that should be tied back to a home world culture.

With the brotherhood of 1000 i think being an Iron hands successor makes sense, the cold nature of stripping away name and identity fits. It could be interesting to constrast their removal of identity with other Iron hands ideas on stripping away flesh in favour of machine.

I like the thoughts on the Taurans but boisterous seems like the wrong word for them.

Given that the Night Watch don't use standard codex organization perhaps they have kill teams which exist over and above their normal companies? After all part of the reason deathwatch work so well is most of their members are veterans, a kill team full of guys just out of the scouts probably isn't a good idea. Maybe kill team is the final step before becoming a sgt/ member of the first company?

I agree on the Celebrants and as I mentioned, the the whole cycle of rebirth concept would stem from a home-world/system. I am really starting to lean towards them after exploring this option. 

Exactly, this is the exact theme I wanted to explore with the Brotherhood. Great minds! 

I used the word 'boisterous' because it can be construed as wild and rowdy. But, you are correct. I just got tired of using the word stubborn and tried to remedy that. 

I like that idea, perhaps only members of the first company compose the watcher-teams cadre. However, it could be interesting to implement this strategy from the get go. Perhaps the chapter forgoes the Codex entirely and trains their marines from the get-go to function in small, isolated fire teams? Then again, I believe most scouts are trained in that manner to a degree. I do really like the idea of veterans only though. 

I would avoid the first company since we already know that the Night Watch have at least 11 companies. Too me it makes more sense that they have a structure that has evolved from a codex based one rather than new from the ground up. Thus having an 11 or 12 company structure where the extra companies are largely decentralized kill teams of veterans. Joining one of those companies would be the logical progression after time in a battle company but before joining the 1st company or becoming a Sgt. I figure each kill team would have a dedicated frigate for transport so they can operate independently.

Combined this raises 2 issues, how would the chapter deal with the "1000 marine" issue, where do they get all their warships from? (Since most chapters don't have 10-20 frigates to spare for kill teams)

I would avoid the first company since we already know that the Night Watch have at least 11 companies. Too me it makes more sense that they have a structure that has evolved from a codex based one rather than new from the ground up. Thus having an 11 or 12 company structure where the extra companies are largely decentralized kill teams of veterans. Joining one of those companies would be the logical progression after time in a battle company but before joining the 1st company or becoming a Sgt. I figure each kill team would have a dedicated frigate for transport so they can operate independently.

Combined this raises 2 issues, how would the chapter deal with the "1000 marine" issue, where do they get all their warships from? (Since most chapters don't have 10-20 frigates to spare for kill teams)

Having an 11th and even a 12th company could help the chapter defend their territory effectively in that the 10 chapters conduct ware as 'normal' and the Watcher-Companies (as I like to call them) are the eyes, ears, and dagger of the chapter. Having them operate in a decentralized manner is an excellent suggestion. 

I don't really think the ships are an issue. The Watcher-Companies could operate out of civilian/trading ships that they've commandeered over the years. 

In theory, they would masquerade as any other ship in the heavily congested shipping lanes. This keeps their positions secret while being able to travel pretty much anywhere. These mobile HQ's could be temporary and be rotated every couple of cycles to avoid suspicion. A handful of teams could be housed on and be dropped off and replaced every rotation. It would be interesting if the space marines, apart from the command, from the regular chapter didn't even know which ships were the  'mobile/secret' ships. It could be a game that the regular marines play with the Watcher-Companies and brothers who show an aptitude for extreme detail and can guess which ships are housing the watcher-teams could be promoted or at least sent to training for the watch-companies. Kind of like a vetting/recruitment process? 

This would ensure the Watcher-Companies uphold the strictest measures in terms of security and stealth while still defending the Imperium. And plus, its fun to read about marines playing strategic games. Bolter porn and philosophy is cool, but games are especially fun and bring unique insight. 

Certainly interesting - I hadn't thought of the Brotherhood of a Thousand as being Iron Hands successors; it would seemingly strip away some of their individuality and personality (which might be partly the point - it makes them less susceptible to chaos and prioritises the Chapter over the individual.) 

I've spoken to Conn Eremon and we will be getting a poll up for our four options (Celebrants, Brotherhood of a Thousand, Tauran and Night Watch.) 

This will hopefully allow more people to contribute.

Good to hear that a poll will be up soon.

I think having the kill-teams operate from cargo vessels would be the wrong move. They are still a combat force, not spies. Their job is to deal with small threats before they become big ones, or to harass larger threats, buying time for other imperial forces to arrive.

I think having the kill-teams operate from cargo vessels would be the wrong move. They are still a combat force, not spies. Their job is to deal with small threats before they become big ones, or to harass larger threats, buying time for other imperial forces to arrive.

Fair enough, I was just throwing out some ideas. :biggrin.:

Woot, first vote! I'm still going with Celebrants (because, as I said earlier, they're awesome!) but I'm now less worried about which Chapter we end up going with, in the last few posts we've had some cracking ideas highlighted and all 4 options seem to have great potential!

Fair enough, I was just throwing out some ideas. :biggrin.:

Bringing up ideas is always useful for a project like this, if nothing else it forces people to explain why the current idea is better.

Personally I still favour the Night Watch as I love non-codex organization but as others have said we have a solid group to chose from.

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Night_Watch

Here are some other details like participation in the Zeist campaign.

I'm torn between the Night Watch and the Taurans... so many good ideas!

Whatever it will be, it will definitely interesting!