Units with FLY keyword and charging.

Fairly simple question (I think).

I know that units with the FLY keyword can move over other units as though they are not there, but can they also declare a charge that would take them over another unit?

Example scenario:

Say I have Kayvaan Shrike placed behind a unit of Vanguard Veterans to shield him from enemy shooting.

Could I declare a charge with him first that carries him over the Vanguard so I can eliminate Overwatch from the charged unit?

My theory being that Shrike's warlord trait disallows Overwatch from being fired at him, and once he is in melee range of the unit being charged they wouldn't be able to fire Overwatch at the charging Vanguard due to the 1" rule.

Would that be legal?

I know that units with the FLY keyword can move over other units as though they are not there, but can they also declare a charge that would take them over another unit?

Seems reasonable. By a similar inference that the rules governing movement in the movement phase also govern movement at other times, like the charge phase, it would seem congruent that the special exemptions for flying units in the movement phase would also apply at other times.

We've had a bit of an argument about this one locally...
I read it as you, but got downvoted. Their argument is that the "Units with Fly can move through etc etc"-rule is stated under the Movement phase.
So you can do that in the Movement phase, but not in other phases.

It's not really a big deal, honestly.

I mean, this would be occurring during my turn anyway, so moving Shrike to be in front of the Vanguard during the movement phase isn't going to get him killed. His Warlord trait prevents overwatch from being fired at him. Period (Read as Full Stop in the UK).

Their argument is that the "Units with Fly can move through etc etc"-rule is stated under the Movement phase.

Okay, but as an extension of that line of argument I'd insist on contending that the whole bit about models not being able to move through other models is also only described under the bit about moving in the movement phase. Ergo, if we don't extend the movement rules from there to general applicability there's nothing that stops any troops hiding behind a landraider from charging through it.

Yeah, it's a lot more sensible to just listen to the rules when they say a model can move in a given way without explicitly or obviously restricting it to the Movement phase, and not try to restrict it to the Movement phase.

Yeah, it's a lot more sensible to just listen to the rules when they say a model can move in a given way without explicitly or obviously restricting it to the Movement phase, and not try to restrict it to the Movement phase.

Certainly. But those people that take the more restrictive view usually have a vested interest in it.