Best Lord of War choice in an AdMech list

So, now that the new codex is out, I'm going to finish building out my AdMech army that's been on the back-burner for too long.

I was originally going to build a War Convocation, but when rumors of Eighth started to surface I stopped buying and focused on my Word Bearers (what can I say, I'm a sucker for red

Titans aside, another option (which is infinitely more flexible and cheaper points&money-wise) are Knights. The Questoris Mechanicus keyword gives you some cool Stratagems, and HQs can heal.

(Also, technically Knights are Titans)

All of my Knights are kitted out to be beasts in melee (AKA Thunderstrikes), and I have the FW Lancer. I just kinda like the mental image of a line of Knights charging right at the enemy. Also tends to make the opponent crap themselves. My Super-Heavy Support detachment is three Knights, Errant as a literal tank hunter, Warden as an all rounder (usualy clearing a path for the Dominus to advance safely), and the Lancer is a distraction or character hunter, depends on the list I'm facing.

Hmm the baneblade could be fun but the only ad-mech guy that can repair it will be the enginseer as I'm going to guess they'll only be "astra militarum" specific in the keyword,still... Fun to add.

Cheers, Mithril

Alrighty, so I'm definitely going to order an Knight Styrix and convert it up to represent a Knight Warden.

I would LOVE to get an Acastus Knight Porphyrion, but at nearly to price of a warhound, I'll probably have to wait.

To be honest just a knight warden kit can cover almost all the bases for your needs if your handy with magnets. from what I remember it can be fairly modular, and it's still a knight!

other option I recommend is the archeon. That flamestorm cannon is purely nuts, 2d6 at Str7 ap-2 and damage 3. it will melt just about anything when it wounds! 

Titans aside, another option (which is infinitely more flexible and cheaper points&money-wise) are Knights. The Questoris Mechanicus keyword gives you some cool Stratagems, and HQs can heal.

(Also, technically Knights are Titans)

All of my Knights are kitted out to be beasts in melee (AKA Thunderstrikes), and I have the FW Lancer. I just kinda like the mental image of a line of Knights charging right at the enemy. Also tends to make the opponent crap themselves. My Super-Heavy Support detachment is three Knights, Errant as a literal tank hunter, Warden as an all rounder (usualy clearing a path for the Dominus to advance safely), and the Lancer is a distraction or character hunter, depends on the list I'm facing.

I have found the titan feet to be good enough for me while giving me three valid shooting options with my favourite configuration being; twin battle Cannon, avenger Gatling, and missile pod harness.

This becomes expensive but a total beast. Now with the new strategems I can heal him twice per turn and 'rotate shields' which are advantages that are hard to retain in cc.

That being said I have not fielded the 'typical' paladin or errant, or even the gauntlet in 8th. I personally was a little surprised to see the -1 to hit on the Gauntlet.

How have you been finding the Gauntlet in your games?

How have you been finding the Gauntlet in your games?

It's been pretty nice so far, though it can be a little unreliable to hit because of the -1. But once it hits, oh baby does it wound. If you do want to consistently make use of the throwing ability (let's be honest, that's why you took the Gauntlet anyway), you'll have to use it for all your attacks, no mixing with kicks.

My Errant makes the most use of the Gauntlet. Usually I'll hang back and get a couple pot shots on a rhino, then close in for the kill and chuck it at the Librarian that just disembarked and tried to run away.

Ad Mech are soooo shooty that I think an all Close Combat Knight might just round everything off quite well.

Getting +1 to invuln and charging forward full force is a heck of a distraction-carnifex and anything it touches is going to hurt.

I've just painted up a Knight Porphyrion and want to build a list around him. Most games here are based around 2000 points though, which leaves certain limitations - which makes this a fun challenge. I think the Cawl robot wall from Mars gets too expensive in that kind of list, though - so I imagine using mostly skitarii and enginseers. How would you build a list around a Porphyrion?

I'd imagine if someone sees a CC Knight running up to their lines (especially coming from AdMech) it would become the instant attraction of all firepower. What would be great is if I could fit in Onagers which would have zero pressure on them, or Kastelans (which are probably too prices).  Double shooting Kastelans and a Palladin/Errant would be quite  a targeting dilemna for a lot of armies.

I am thinking having a basick Tech priest running up behind him with Tech-Adept in his back pocket would be useful. 

This lead me to re-reading all the Warlord traits and Strats and I'm thinking Necromechanic would be good for this as well.

Porphyrion is a gorgeous model but both a cash and points costly option.

Its going to be a big fire magnet certainly and i would think the remaing points from your list would have to be a mix of close combat protection for the porphyrion and a couple of objective seizing units.

Problems i have alwys had with mech is getting anywhere fast. Sure you can quite often table someone thru volume of firepower but objective driven scenarios can be tough.

All the baneblade chassis seem to have gotten better in the AM book, so I guess it depends on what your list needs. 

Knights over the long run seem to be pretty soft over all. 

knights have movement, an invuln, accuracy and attack quality over the baneblade, as opposed to pure power of the baneblade. FW trojans would fix that, but with a knight so far you can now give it canticles or increased invuln saves as opposed to the baneblade, and you can ignore damage taken to hit harder when you are about to go down.

This feels relevant, so I'll ask here: if I were to get an ordinatus ulator, how awkward would it be to proxy it as a baneblade, and which baneblade would fit best? (I've basically given up on waiting for cyraxus, and really want to get that model for my army...)

This feels relevant, so I'll ask here: if I were to get an ordinatus ulator, how awkward would it be to proxy it as a baneblade, and which baneblade would fit best? (I've basically given up on waiting for cyraxus, and really want to get that model for my army...)

Shadowsword.

It has a big gun like the Ordinatus, if not the Banehammer is quite fluffy with its ability to slow movement - fitting for a sonic weapon like the Ulator.

Shadowsword.

It has a big gun like the Ordinatus, if not the Banehammer is quite fluffy with its ability to slow movement - fitting for a sonic weapon like the Ulator.

Despite the negatives others have pointed out about the Baneblade chassis tanks....I'm still leaning toward adding a Shadowsword/Stormlord over a knight. I might just be "over" Knights, since I've been using 'em in my Chaos lists for a while now, but I've never played a tank larger then a Landraider. I know that it would be easy to build a tank that could swap that Vulcan mega bolter for the volcano Cannon.

Between the chosen main weapon, 4 Lascannon, 5 Twin heavy Bolters, and however many heavy stubber sit gets, it seems like either of the two variants provide enough fire superiority to own the battlefield. Plus, since my group uses power levels, it all comes in around the same cost as a knight.

Plus a baneblade chassis with a load of Ad Mech gubbins painted in Forge World colours being a personal pimp wagon of your Dominus is too cool.

I was all for a Stormblade until the rules utterly sucked. Hopefully it'll get an update for an extra D6 shots like the rest.

Have both here, could do a size comparison shot next week. Ordinatus is longer than a Baneblade, but a Baneblade is wider.

Plus a baneblade chassis with a load of Ad Mech gubbins painted in Forge World colours being a personal pimp wagon of your Dominus is too cool.

Yep.

At 2000pt most Baneblade chassis' will be a fourth of your army. I'd say that not too much, unless it's one of the super specialized ones.

Ultimately these are the choices:

-Baneblade (+variants) are slow moving gun emplacements (and in some cases literally moving forts). No invuln, 4+ BS, but a lot of wounds and a lot of dakka.

-Knights are super heavy skirmishers. Less guns, not as powerful guns, a little more squishy, but an invuln, speed, and some adaptability. And with AdMech, other bonuses like Stratagems and canticles.

It just comes down to which fits you better. If I was doing a Cawl Wall I'd take a Baneblade in a second, park it on a hill with an engineer or two. Personally I like being able to move around more and adapt to a constantly evolving battle, so Knights fit me much better.