Thunderfire tactica in 8tg edition

gabriel5885

Good afternoon gentlemen, I've recently read the rules for thunderfire cannon on index imperium 1 and noticed the depowering it got from gw. Nonetheless I intend to use three of them on the battlefield so I would appreciate the opinions of people that has hands on experience on using them on the battlefield. Would anyone be so kind to help me on this matter?

Not so much a tactical from me here rather just an opinion on them. I've used a single tfc a couple of times in 8th and it hasn't killed its points worth any time. It was quite underwhelming. I had it in cover on the backfield. I will say it was quite survivable though. Maybe using 3 would be more effective but for me they'll be staying on the shelf for the time being.

Sadly, most people would get more out of a Whirlwind than a Thunderfire.

It is consistent though. 4D3 shots means no less than 4 shots per turn, with a solid average of 8 shots.

However, just take Heavy Bolters on Devastators and you'll get more shots with more bodies.

I've used a pair of TFCs in my admittedly limited 8th Edition career and so far, they've given sterling service.  Their biggest advantage over heavy bolter Devs is that they can fire without LOS, and since they fill a smaller physical footprint on the battlefield, it's not that hard to hide them from the enemy, either.  Oh, and 60" range doesn't hurt, or the fact that they're fairly cheap (though not quite as cheap as they used to be).

I will say that they're probably an acquired taste.  I've been using them since they were introduced in 5th Edition, so I'm used to them instead of Whirlwinds or Devastators.

I'm still struggling with my metal one :lol: Almost there, but sod's law that the rules change ;) I agree with IFF, being able to plonk dice down on a hidden unit is a good ability so while it may not be the primary choice it has a place. Especially in a more shooty army where your opponent might be more likely to sneak up on you, and as mentioned long range means there's nowhere to hide.

Eh. . . it was something they could do, and still can (though now it costs you a CP to toss Tremor rounds).  I wouldn't say it was the only reason to take them though.  I actually haven't been in a situation where I wanted to use the Tremor Rounds Stratagem over regular shooting, but like I said: limited playtime for me so far this edition.  With the Ad Mech and Guard codices out, maybe we'll see a rise in non-mechanized infantry that want to be mobile, in which case the Tremor stratagem can come quite in handy.