The Emperor protects - a Codex: AM review

Feral_80

I would call total BS on that if I was playing against you, and would probably then decline to play you for trying to abuse the crap out of the rules when you know good and well it makes no sense.

It's tourney legal until it's faq'd, which it likely will be. You are free to pic your opponents.

Applying 'what makes sense' to 40k is a lost cause. Is it more reasonable that the ogryn bodyguard is gonna catch that lascannon shot moving at the speed of light that was aimed at his commander?

It's more reasonable for a trained bodyguard to be observing potential sources of threats to his charge, and for a savy commander to keep a 9 foot tall hunk of armored  meat between himself and said threats, yes. 

I would call total BS on that if I was playing against you, and would probably then decline to play you for trying to abuse the crap out of the rules when you know good and well it makes no sense.

It's tourney legal until it's faq'd, which it likely will be. You are free to pic your opponents.

Applying 'what makes sense' to 40k is a lost cause. Is it more reasonable that the ogryn bodyguard is gonna catch that lascannon shot moving at the speed of light that was aimed at his commander?

It's more reasonable for a trained bodyguard to be observing potential sources of threats to his charge, and for a savy commander to keep a 9 foot tall hunk of armored meat between himself and said threats, yes.
Sure, I've been know to push people out of the way of things moving at the speed of light. Of course the acceleration needed to do that tends to destroy all matter but it makes sense. And my BA Libby Dred having a couple less wounds means he can hide behind a space marine scout...we're all down with that. Don't forget the flying churches of the Dark Angels or all the space wizards. Daemon bird fighter planes. Feudal cultures operating star ships. All good. It is pretty unreasonable for a heavy tank to be protected by a screen of infantry in dense urban terrain to spot guys carrying antitank weapons. No examples of that in military tactics. Makes sense.

It is valid according to the rules. It is likely to get faq'd. 'It doesn't make sense' is not a legitimate counterpoint to a rules discussion in 40k. 40k does not make sense. It is a game and it is fantasy and much of it is poorly written on both counts.

Edited by Bonzi

BTW, whats the point in autoguns in veteran squads? Is there some hidden thing there or is it for a fluff (and self crippling for orders) thing? Because its same stats, but you cant first rank etc.

Something missed?

Maybe future-proofing for when Necromunda arrives and people decide to field their Gangers as Veterans?

I agree it would be harsh to disallow lasgun-specific orders given autoguns are identical otherwise.

For Priests not keeping up with Bullgryns I've started advancing with the Priest on the turn the Bullgryns will charge so he ends up ahead of them, that should put him within 6" after the Bullgryns charge for the extra attack and he can get stuck in next turn if desired. Occasionally the Bullgryns will fail their charge then your Priest is exposed but he's surprisingly tough with that 4+ invulnerable!

As for Veterans I like the look of them, certainly in a Mordian army. I have a squad that pops up in a Hades Breaching Drill now and I'm looking forward to trying them out. Another squad has Plasma guns and I'll use them to target characters with the Mordian order. I know command Squads would be better for this but I wanted to run them on foot and a light breeze will kill a Command Squad outside a transport.

Finally I'm still running Rough Riders from the Index until they are gone forever. Still the cheapest way to fill out your fast attack slots, still useful coming on from reserve from any board edge and still have the <Regiment> keyword. Useful and useable.

True, and it is risky but it's hardly a key character lost if it all goes wrong and I'd rather take the risk and get the 8 extra attacks (running an 8 strong unit at the moment). You can even have the Priest just behind the leading Bullgryn, anything to make sure you stay within 6" after the Bullgryns charge in.

They're my new favourite unit I think. Just something wonderful about a Guard unit smashing into just about anything and coming off well. And the Pith Helmet heads I have for them are ace as well (Curious Constructs if anyone is interested)

There shouldn't be a shortage of Command Points for Guard so you can probably afford a re-roll if a charge die goes awry. Leaving characters behind is a notable issue with charging so some options are better than none, at least you can still use his aura this way :)

I thought they were pretty good value back when they were 10pts... further reductions is very nice. They evaporate to a stiff wind still but for these prices you won't mind much!

My opponent once "broke wind" and my ratlings vanished! I assumed it was because he was playing Death Guard, but now I learn that just what they do??

They were 7 pts per model in the index, they're now 5 pts per model. In bigger games where there are more important targets, I can see them earning their points back

They were 5 points per model with a 2 point sniper rifle in the index, and they are 5 points per model with a 2 point sniper rifle in the codex?

They were 7 pts per model in the index, they're now 5 pts per model. In bigger games where there are more important targets, I can see them earning their points back

They were 5 points per model with a 2 point sniper rifle in the index, and they are 5 points per model with a 2 point sniper rifle in the codex?

I may have goofed there. Oops. I usually use Battlescribe to make lists so I forget you need to add their wargear. My bad

I wonder if I can find hobbit sized pith helmet heads...

I am hoping the kickstarter for these is successful and they actually get produced, I think they would look good as Krieg snipers (so that's where all the battle-capable women are!).  I saw someone or other on this board paint up what I guess was a sample model, and they scale quite well.

https://sketchfab.com/models/f7fc27adc9184ab0b27ccdd5560644ed

I wonder if I can find hobbit sized pith helmet heads...

I am hoping the kickstarter for these is successful and they actually get produced, I think they would look good as Krieg snipers (so that's where all the battle-capable women are!).  I saw someone or other on this board paint up what I guess was a sample model, and they scale quite well.

https://sketchfab.com/models/f7fc27adc9184ab0b27ccdd5560644ed

It was(ended on like 85k and needed 30), it ended on monday so they are currently working on getting the pledge manager etc going.

Im pretty heavy into that 1 for my snipers and for general infantry too :)

It was(ended on like 85k and needed 30), it ended on monday so they are currently working on getting the pledge manager etc going.

Im pretty heavy into that 1 for my snipers and for general infantry too :smile.:

I want to get in on it (I really like some of those turrets, too), but I am skeptical given the company's track record on actually delivering.

Thanks, why not. I'll do the relics, they are fun anyway, and other might have better suggestions.

• Blade of Conquest, Mamorph Tuskblade, Claw of the Desert Tigers: for those close-combat oriented characters. Given that the only AM generic characters who have WS 2+ are Lord Commissars, I'd never bother to give such a relic to anybody else. The Blade of Conquest is the clear winner here to its (both rather uninspired) competitors, because it can be given to anyone (contrary to the Catachan blade - and why bother, you have Straken already), and because it is far superior to the Tallarn weapon.
  • Deathmask of Ollanius, Armour of Graf Toschenko, Order of the Iron Star of Mordian: not worth it. You don't want (marginally) tougher characters, you need them to punch. The Mask could be used on a Lord with a Powerfist, but he'll still be squishy, and he's much better on the offensive. The best way to use AM characters in melee is either by assaulting something that will not survive to hit back, or by heroic intervention. So, it is much better to invest in offense rather than in defence, as AM characters will die anyway if properly targeted.
  • Pietrov's Mk 45: yet another reason not to take Commissars. Basically, you save 35 pts (basic Commissar) in exchange for a relic slot and a little ranged punch (I assume there is a typo and it is meant to be 'Pistol 1'). Nice and thematic, but still not sure it is worth a relic slot.
  • Tactical auto-reliquiary of Tyberius: I feel this is unnecessary. All Prime will have a rod anyway, and you'd better have a Prime every 2 squads for your deepstriking force, for better deployment and tactical options. Not worth a relic slot.
Edited by Feral_80