Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Choosing a Dark God...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Pentharian

Pentharian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 144 posts
I am strongly considering Chaos Daemons as my next army, and with what I'm seeing, perhaps main army. Love the models, the modeling opportunity for shenanigans, and the playstyle being very different from what I currently run. And I haven't seen many people running straight Daemons so being the special snowflake a slight appeal (It was either that or Genestealer Cults!).

But I've gotten myself a little stuck on which Chaotic Patron to build with! I don't want to do Nurgle, I don't like what Tzeentch has to offer, but I've really liked what I've seen with both Khorne and Slaanesh. So I built two 1500 point lists (this helps me figure out what to buy and paint when starting a new army) and I still can't quite decide. I like them both for different reasons.

So I figured I'd toss them up here for some classic B&C opinionations. Tear these lists apart. Why wouldn't they work? What's better? Am I totally thinking these Gods playstyles wrong? Do you just like Khorne's models better than Slaanesh's? Is the opportunity for modelling breasts for Slaanesh just too great a temptation? Looking for how folks feel in hopes that the ideas will sway me one way or the other.

EDIT: (Snip!) These lists are no longer valid, as I've changed my shopping list up about a dozen times since this. Poof!

Edited by Pentharian, 16 October 2017 - 05:14 PM.

kagetakh.png

Vorenus

Vorenus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 312 posts

Most people will probably give you advice to choose a pantheon based on which style of models you like.  This is rubbish.  The only correct answer is Khorne.  This is not my personal opinion, this is objectively verifiable fact.  You can check the math.  Just ask any of the Dark Gods and they will all tell you they wish they were Khorne.  

• Aothaine, Emicus and Confused Word Bearer like this

"I was told there would be cake.  The cake is a lie."  --Sten, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS

"More corpses."  --Avitus, DAWN OF WAR II

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,773 posts
  • Chapter Name: Children of The Violet Heart

Khorne and Slaanesh Daemons both want to be in melee, Slaanesh is faster, "rends" and swings first. Slaanesh marines are shooty and synergise better with the respective Daemons. Berzekers + Bloodletters is just more of the same.

Plus, boobs.

• Kierdale, Aothaine and Slave to Darkness like this

START WEARING PURPLE

Confused Word Bearer

Confused Word Bearer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers, Ultramarines
Khorne is the strongest of the four Chaos gods. Therefore the answer is simple, Khorne should be your patron! He gets power from war, and what is the 41st millenium but an endless state of war?

In your lists your lesser Daemons are in 10’s, I’d say you should go for having them in 20+ blobs in order for them to be more likely to survive the walk there as well as get their size bonuses if there’s still enough alive. Oh, but then again a Batallion needs three troop choices, so that is something to consider. Have you though about making a pure Daemon and pure CSM detachment in order for your CSM to get the legion/renegade bonuses? Daemons will probably get something similar for their codex as well, if it means anything to you.
  • Vorenus likes this
The chainsword is the will of the righteous made manifest.
gallery_4664_12529_16642.jpg

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,711 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos and Wolves

Plus, boobs.

giphy.gif

• Vorenus and Kierdale like this

Explorer in the further regions of experience; Demon to some, Angel to others.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.pngCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_00.jpg

Blog - Gates of Helvete

“Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.” - Terry Pratchett, Eric

dark_elf

dark_elf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 137 posts

I just have to chime in... Slaanesh.

But in all seriousness, if steady support from GW / FW is important to you then Khorne hands down. They have constant support from GW / FW over the years.

- Blood Slaughterer

- Kytan

- 3 Blood Thirsters Variants

- Lord of Skulls

- Skarbrand (named Greater Demon, Slaanesh has 0)

- Herald from FW

- Daemon Prince from FW

- Skaarac

This doesn't include the AOS range of models which convert nicely to 40K with simple weapon / limb swaps or additions such as back packs. Hell they even have a dreadnought sized creature that many use as a Hellbrute or Demon Prince.

In contrast Slaanesh has had no support for years.

Pentharian

Pentharian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 144 posts
The lists in the initial posts are no longer relevant, so I've removed them. I've changed my shopping list about a dozen times since I posted that.

Given some feedback from users here (both public and private), Mathammer, personal reflection, and consulting the beating of butterfly wings, I've selected Slaanesh.

In your lists your lesser Daemons are in 10’s, I’d say you should go for having them in 20+ blobs in order for them to be more likely to survive the walk there as well as get their size bonuses if there’s still enough alive. Oh, but then again a Batallion needs three troop choices, so that is something to consider.

In a 1500 pt list, it's hard to get more than 20 in a blob with what I was looking at - and then all an opponent has to do is kill one model and I'm sitting with only the downsides. While I'm not exactly stuck on having a Battalion, it seemed a smart place to start and this allows me to get different targets with melee rather than being stuck on one blob at a time. In a 2k game I'll definitely be bringing a couple blobs of 30. That +1 A is powerful.

Have you though about making a pure Daemon and pure CSM detachment in order for your CSM to get the legion/renegade bonuses? Daemons will probably get something similar for their codex as well, if it means anything to you.

I've now made sure that all of my detachments are pure Daemons and Chaos Marines.

But in all seriousness, if steady support from GW / FW is important to you then Khorne hands down. They have constant support from GW / FW over the years.

[...]

In contrast Slaanesh has had no support for years.

Getting some love from GW isn't a requirement for me (hell, I considered Sisters of Battle before Daemons), so that part wasn't a factor. I'll admit that the Khorne models look way cooler out of the box, the lack of GW love just said "More chances for custom models!" in my head.
  • sfPanzer likes this

kagetakh.png

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,773 posts

Given some feedback from users here (both public and private), Mathammer, personal reflection, and consulting the beating of butterfly wings, I've selected Slaanesh.

And there was much rejoicing.

START WEARING PURPLE

Squigsquasher

Squigsquasher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 552 posts
  • Chapter Name: Emperor's Children

Excellent news, another one joins the disciples of debauchery!

• Res Ipsa Loquitur likes this

ztbmByp.png

I EXIST TO BRING PAIN and also tea

The Legion of Vice- Emperor's Children and Friends!

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,773 posts

Probably a bit late... but also FWIW the Start Collecting Daemons of Slaanesh box is crazy good value. Here in Canada it's nearly half the price of buying the individual units separately (if you make two Hellflayers/Seeker Chariots instead of one Exalted Chariot).

START WEARING PURPLE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users