How to counter/avoid quad mortar and barrages.

CaptainSteg

Hi everyone. I usually play 30k with one of my friend. I play with 3000p World eaters while he is with a Death guard army. I always try my best to get to him az quickly as I could to beat the heck out of him with some chain axes but there is a big problem for me. His army has 2 mortars, a grav flux bombard leviathan, Typhus and master of signal with orbital bombardment and a 10 man rocket squad. It is just a little too much for me. He usually anihilates my Spartan and one or two of my squads in turn 1 or 2. he bearly moves away from his deployment zone, he put his missle launchers to the toop of buildings so he sees everithing and thanks to the master of signal he can shoot pretty nice with his bombards.

Someone had a good tactic to avoid/counter this overhelming barrage? Or some tips and tricks?

Oh, my army list:

Hq:

- Praetor

-Khârn

-Gahlan

Elite:

-Red butcers+Teleport

- Rampagers +Spartan

Heavy support:

- Leviathan dreadnought +drop pod

Troops:

- 3xtactival squads +rhinos

- 1 assault squad

For the remaining point I sometimes use a contemptor dread, or support squads.

Welcome to the forum :)

How is he destroying your Spartan with Quad Mortars, Grav-Flux Bombard, and Missiles?? I assume that you put a flare-shield on the Spartan?

• Missiles are only strength 8, so against the front of a Flare-shielded Spartan they need 7s to glance (impossible). 
  • Shatter-shells from the Quad Mortar are strength 8 with 'Sunder'. If the Spartan is Flare-shielded they need 7s to glance (again, impossible, and Sunder doesn't help).
  • The Grav-flux Bombard needs to roll a 14 on 3D6 to glance. Definitely possible, but unlikely to kill the Spartan in one turn.
  • The Master of Signal's Bombardment can damage the Spartan because as a 'Barrage' weapon it avoids the Spartan's Flare-shield. You still need to roll a 6 to glance and the Ordinance re-roll can help with this, but the most damage he can do is 3 hull points, and only if he manages to roll up 3 shots (he gets D3 shots), and then rolls three 6s. The Bombardment is a one use ability.
  • Typhon's Chem-Bombardment can't damage vehicles.

So, put a Flare-shield on the Spartan and try to keep the most dangerous enemy units in it's front arc. The Rhinos will be much more vulnerable, but hopefully the Spartan will draw a lot of the enemy's fire. Also, if you get the first turn make sure that you pop smoke on the Rhinos so that they can get the 5+ cover save.

Also, the Red Butchers can't Teleport. Only certain Terminator units have Teleport in 30k, they don't all automatically have it like they do in 40k. If the squad is 5 strong, I'd suggest a Dreadclaw Drop-pod :tu:

If you yourself want to instantly obliterate a Rapier Battery, get yourself a Leviathan with at least 1 Grav Flux Bombard and put him in a Dreadnought Drop Pod. Ignores Cover Ap2 that wounds on a 2D6 Strength Test under a Large Blast means that the crew are all but dead (meaning the gun can no longer fire) and the gun itself auto-fails the test due to not having a Strength Value.

Said Grav-Flux Bombard is also good at mowing through infantry AKA his 10man HSS w/ Missiles.

If you yourself want to instantly obliterate a Rapier Battery, get yourself a Leviathan with at least 1 Grav Flux Bombard and put him in a Dreadnought Drop Pod. Ignores Cover Ap2 that wounds on a 2D6 Strength Test under a Large Blast means that the crew are all but dead (meaning the gun can no longer fire) and the gun itself auto-fails the test due to not having a Strength Value.

Said Grav-Flux Bombard is also good at mowing through infantry AKA his 10man HSS w/ Missiles.

careful, leviathans can (and have died in my meta) to rapier interceptor

Thanks the reply. I didn't no that some bombards etc can't damage a Spartan oh and the teleport. But he said that flare shield dosent help to ignore the bombards. Honestly my friend told me the rules and I dind't arguing with him because I didn't know anything at the time (he got the rule books not me, i just reading forums for tips and tactics) but I will suggest to him to check them again. Also it not just my veichles that he usually obliterates but my troops as well. I will use my dread with grav in a drop pod as my butchers.

Thanks the reply. I didn't no that some bombards etc can't damage a Spartan oh and the teleport. But he said that flare shield dosent help to ignore the bombards. Honestly my friend told me the rules and I dind't arguing with him because I didn't know anything at the time (he got the rule books not me, i just reading forums for tips and tactics) but I will suggest to him to check them again. Also it not just my veichles that he usually obliterates but my troops as well. I will use my dread with grav in a drop pod as my butchers.

Step #1: buy your own copy of the rules.

Step #2: read it.

Step #3: Crush his army. ;)

• 1 month later...

How are they dying to Rapier Interceptor? They can't take it if I recall?

You can put a Forge Lord with an Augury Scanner in that unit.

You can put a Forge Lord with an Augury Scanner in that unit.

Ah yes I forgot they exist. I wish I could use Forge Lords more :O