Reinventing the Emperor's Own Valkan Rifles

Good day, gentlemen ... just popping out of my "hobby burnout" foxhole again, and turning my thoughts towards my first army post-return to the hobby after a hiatus from circa 2005 to 2015 - the Emperor's Own Sorgrecian Rifles. I'm trying to figure out how they will fit-in with the new codex and how I should reshape the army (hopefully with only a very few additional purchases, especially because the paint scheme I chose for them is so onerous).

600214_md-.jpg

580232_md-.JPG

Just to give you a quick summary of what the army has been all about to date ... I use Death Korps of Krieg models, and they definitely have similarities to DKOK; they come from a planet devastated by years of war (in their case with World Eaters who invaded their world) and they excel at hand-to-hand combat much more than the average guardsmen. Valka is a Cardinal world and the Valkans are known for their religious devotion and they wear their gas masks whenever they are engaged with the enemy as a [superstitious] ward against heresy. But off the battle field they are not that DKoK-like insofar as they have names and a rich culture they are proud of.

med_gallery_66537_9752_40140.jpg

Maj. Henrik Zayontz, Cmdr A Coy, EOSR, leads his troops into battle

gallery_66537_9752_117554.jpg

Valkan Roughriders, populated mostly by young nobles, charge into battle

I've used DKoK Assault Brigade list most of the time as this seemed best to suit the Valkan's bravery/stoicism, hand-to-hand prowess, and aggressiveness. Above all, I want this army to be my aggressive/in-your-face army. In the past it's been all about getting to grips as fast as possible with the enemy and into HTH contrary to usual Guard tactics (hence my narrative batrep series "Nico's Treatise on Bayonet Stabbing".

So, I'm wondering what my comrades in the barracks think would be the best "fit" doctrine-wise and how I should take the army.

Models fully painted and available thus far:

Company Commander w/ command squad (no special weapons though)

Quartermaster w/ servitors (could easily be a priest)

25 man platoon

10 Grenadiers/Storm Troopers

3 Chimerae

8 Death Riders/Rough Riders

1 Hydra

2 LRMBT (plus an extra Demolisher turret)

1 Tank Commander (commissar) in a Vanquisher

1 Commissar

Assembled but not painted:

12 more Rough Riders (4 with meltaguns)

1 Deathrider Comissar

1 Commissar

2 Chimerae

1 Basilisk

The army has typically rolled with a group of Inquisitorial stuff, since Lord Inquisitor Soulis "the Saviour of Valka" has inducted many Valkans into his entourage.

I kind of feel like to go full DKoK you need to "go big or go home" and I just don't have the stamina anymore to paint too many more Krieger troops just because of the paints I chose to use (Tamiya historical military line which look awesome when done but are so, so tedious and onerous to use because they must be mixed at least 24 hours in advance, then again an hour before painting, then at painting time otherwise they'll have a shiny finish; plus they dry so fast they dry on the brush and you have to rinse very often and even then I I was burning through a brush or two per 10-man squad). So I'd be more inclined to add more vehicles.

But I just don't know where to go with the new rules. Stick with Krieg? Tallarn sounds kind of tasty for the aggressive/fast style I want. Maybe Armageddon since I have a fair number of Chimerae and tanks?

Thanks for reading and interested in your thoughts.

P.S. -- I am slowly, SLOWLY working on Praetorians for my infantry-heavy and more static "gun line" army so I want to stay true to the fast and brutal style with this army. So don't suggest I go with a Krieg siege brigade style! Thanks.

Looms great! Those paints sound horrible to deal with though! I dont blame you for wanting to avoid all that hassle.

I dont know too much about the DKoK rules. Based on what youre saying though Tallarn seem like a good fit, possibly Catachan for their CC prowess? Depending which you want to highlight more. If you do run a lot of Chimera mounted troops then Steel Legion is also possible. Id say they would suit a very specific list/army build to maximise their RTs though.

Impressive efforts with the paints ND. Most of mine were done with cheap acrylics sometimes mixed with mediums from art stores.

Thanks to the new Codex the Armored Company is a valid rout to go. Your guys certainly look the part. At the Brigade level though I choke a bit at the points Chimeras eat up. Which is tragic because I really want to go all out again.

My gut is warning me Tallaran players are going to draw some serious hate this edition just like Matt awards Necron Codex in 6th.

Please post pics of your Preatorians when they are done.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have my codes yet but from reviews and leaks I've read the Tallarn rules seem pretty juicy and fitting to an aggressive style that I want. Catachan would befit the HTH angle but for fluff reasons I just don't like it ... my guys aren't abnormally strong, they're very skilled at bayonet fighting.

I think moving fast and doing close-range shooting is the best fit. I especially like the ability to outflank three units as once upon a time I had a "counts as" Al-Raheem for this army outflanking a small platoon. Now that can return along with outflanking rough riders. And my tanks can now be super aggressive the way I like. I think the Demolisher may be especially effective with the Tallarn stuff.

@Guardsman Bob: I do have a WIP thread for my Praetorians. As I said it's very slow going and the thread is probably on page 10 by now LOL. When I'm not on a mobile device I'll post the link here.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying desperately to get my hobby mojo back and trying to figure out the least painful way to reinvigorate this army.

What do you think of this for the core (no way I can get a Brigade out of this army because trying to paint that many more infantry -- given my struggles listed above -- would lead to suicidal ideations):

I. BATTALION DETACHMENT

HQ

1. Company Commander

2. Lord Commissar

ELITE

1. Command Squad w/ 3 flamers, standard in Chimera

TROOP

1. Infantry squad w/ meltagun in Chimera

2. Infantry squad w/ meltagun in Chimera

3. Infantry squad w/ meltagun in Chimera

FAST

1. 10 Roughriders with 2x meltagun

2. 10 Roughriders with 2x meltagun

II. SPEARHEAD DETACHMENT

HQ

1. Command Tank - Vanquisher - hull lascannon, sponson multimeltas

HEAVY

1. Russ Squadron - 2x vanilla Russes

2. Demolisher Squadron - Demolisher

3. Demolisher Squadron-  Punisher

Very roughly 1500 points unless I missed something in my pen/paper calculations ...

... Oh snap, just realized I have 10 Stormtroopers (Grenadiers) available. Could do 10x Storm Troopers, 2x meltagun, in a chimera as my third troop choice I suppose in which case I would not really have to paint anything new for this army aside from 2 new Chimerae.

I think it's ok for 1500, ideally some more troopers would be best as they provide vital board space and protection to more valuable units but you can work up to that :) Stormies would be a good addition, plus Rough Riders could add an extra dimension to the list. You might want to deploy the infantry alongside their Chimeras to get some more units on the table, especially against a deep striking style army but having the option to dismount first turn would be handy and worth a go I reckon :tu:

Warriorfish, I guess I’m hearing more boys are needed and fewer toys? Although as stated I’m so burnt out on painting the boys thanks to the fantastic looking but terrible to use Tamiya paints, I think I can still avoid doing too much more by dropping a tank to add storm troopers.

This would effectively give me a core of a 35 man platoon plus 10 storm troopers and 5 chimeras. Given new vehicle rules maybe stuff a special weapons squad in with the command squad for 50 pairs of boots in the 5 metal boxes. Or for something fun an different I’m a bit intrigued by the idea of 5 crusaders and a priest in with the CO and his command squad. Then augment with 20 horses and some tanks. I still think I can fit 3-4 Russes including the tank commander.

I love the Tallarn doctrine for its aggressiveness but with the sheer number of chimeras Steel Legion feels almost mandatory to maximize the build’s effectiveness.

@Tirak - I hear you but with all my armies I must have at least one nod to fluff and for their entire existence starting in 5th ed the EOVR have never had access to plasma. Meltas and flamers predominantly with a sprinkling of grenades. I might be persuaded to add some plasma to the stormies though.

Steel Legion is not near as good as Tallarn, espicially with the lack of plasma. Tallarn benefit meltas, which is what you are running, Steel Legion do not. Tallarn and steel legion benefit vehicles, but from what I have seen Tallarn's buff is a lot better then steel legion's buff.

Steel Legion is still viable for sure, but your weapon loadouts seem to benefit Tallarn more. My two sense.

Even though they’re not troops anymore I trust a unit of veterans still = boys? Last night lying in bed I had some cool ideas for a highly converted/personalized vet squad plus a senior officer who could carry the Dagger of Tu’Sakh and they could outflank together.

Plus to get up to a Brigade I’m thinking of doing 4x 5-Man stormie squads in the short term. I’ll try putting a proper list in the army lists section this weekend.

Wow making a mech list is so much harder this edition. Chimeras are so expensive. I’ve not had great success with them in the few games I’ve played they live longer but just don’t have the firepower to justify their cost (sadface at all the chimeras I built during previous editions).

Do you still have those dot-pattern camo dudes from way back when?

No sadly I sold them when I left the hobby in about 2006. That experience has taught me to never ever sell painted minis again even if I THINK I won’t have time for the hobby.

Ah thats a shame, those guys looked awesome. These DKoK look really good though.

The Guard always drag us back in. Im painting my sixth regiment now lol. I remember converting metal Cadians & Valhallans as DKoK in the old Chapter Approved days.

Edited by Akrim

• 2 months later...

The Guard always drag us back in. Im painting my sixth regiment now lol. I remember converting metal Cadians & Valhallans as DKoK in the old Chapter Approved days.

Your Catachans are the ones who shall never be forgotten ... it's thanks to them (and the original demo team) that Lord Inquisitor Soulis is now a cripple who rides around on a Throne of Judgement Karamazov-style :biggrin.:

... which reminds me I still need to finish the model I made of the Catachan dude carrying on his back what's left of the Lord Inquisitor's terminator armour. I just don't know what I can use him as though. He was originally going to be a Penal Legionnnaire (shows how long ago I built him without painting!).

So, in terms of list building, here's roughly what I'm thinking of (sadly, I don't see how a Brigade would be possible with a mech-ish list) as the infantry core:

OPTION A - combined arms

Company Commander x2

3 Infantry Squads w/ special, heavy (on foot)

1 Veteran Squad w/ 3 specials

1 Scion Squad

1 Command squad w/ 3 meltas

4 Chimeras

The idea with this core is that the three footborne squads hand out with one company commander and try to hold ground/shield tanks. The second company commander (with dagger of Tu'Sakh and combining with the Tallarn stratagem) outflanking with a Chimera-borne veteran squad, Chimera-borne Command squad and Scion squads. 

OPTION B - Mech

2x Company Commander

2 Infantry Squads w/ special weapon

1 Scion Squad

2 Veteran Squads w/ 3x special 

5 Chimerae

As noted, more of a full mech option. Again, one of the company commanders would likely have dagger of Tu'Sakh and will outflank with 2x veteran squads (he'll ride with one) and Grenadiers/Scions. 

... then the remainder of either list will be filled-out with 1 or two roughrider squads with meltaguns, 2 LRMBTs, 1 Demolisher.

Option A has a few more bodies, Option B has more chimerae and more cool modelling/painting options. I realized I can do either option without actually buying any more models since I have 3x DKoK autocannon teams and 3x DKoK lascannon teams, as well as about 5 extra DKoK troopers. So I can use those troopers to either build a 3rd regular squad by replacing regulars with heavy weapon teams or I can use them to kitbash with the 3 grenadiers and unused DKoK commissar model to make a neat veteran squad. The other veteran squad has been built ages ago using Cadians to make a squad of the dot-pattern camo guys Akrim mentioned from days of yore. They would be the last survivors of that old army.

EDIT: Options for expansion would mostly be more "Scions". Although the main squad will be the DKoK grenadier squad already painted, I have a bunch of the old "astronaut" stormies sitting around primed but with no use for them ... putting them in dot-pattern camo they would fit in nicely with this army. I believe I have 10 of them.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso

Thank WF, for the suggestion. I’m thinking of going with Option B though because of Rule of Cool and I think converting/painting the 2x veteran squads will have me more inspired.

This has probably been discussed elsewhere but has there been an FAQ clarification of the Dagger of Tu’Sakh and Tallarn Ambush on what is considered “a unit”? That is do chimeras chosen as transports count towards the unit limit or are they part of the squad that carries them? So using the Dagger of Tu’Sakh can I outflank just the officer and a veteran squad? Or can both units be inside a chimera?

So, sitting down with all my models and bitz, I figured I could actually put together the following list:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/344572-1500-pt-combined-arms-brigade/

For the second two infantry squads, I just need to assemble some Cadians (which I have tons of, lying around unassembled) then will use special weapons and some other Cadian types I had already assembled with a view to using them as a veteran squad representing remnants of my old dot-pattern camo army that Akrim mentioned. This will cut down on how much Tamiya Field Grey I need to use ... but I think that if I paint their pants that colour then give them dot-pattern camo armour, helmets, and jackets, they should not look out of place (aside from being hulking) next to the DKoK types.

I can use some astronaut-style stormies painted similarly for the 2nd Scion Squad. Maybe eventually buy a second Grenadier squad (some of my favourite models ever) and change it to 2x plasma stormie squads which under present rules and costs probably makes a lot more sense than melta.

Then all I need to do is finish my basilisk which has been sitting around unpainted for an age, and 1 chimera. Plus the two crusaders who I'll probably base off spare DKoK Engineer models I have lying around with Anvil Industry riot shields. Or I could replace them with a commissar.

I think this army gets close to satisfying the need for lots of boots on the ground in 8th edition guard, while still being pretty mobile and not the typical Guard army but something a little different and able to be aggressive.