Terminators and their uses for Raven Guard

Damo1701

Damo what loadout did your tartaros termies have? They seem like the most fluffy option for the rg given their larger move...

Sergeant: Plasma/Chainfist.

Reaper Autocannon/Chainfist.

3xLC marines.

Oddly enough, that combination has been really effective in 8th so far.

Cool thanks, that sounds pretty flexible and has LC which is important. How do you use them, could you run them alongside vv or a ironclad?

So, with the above quote from a different topic, it got me thinking.

How do I generally use my Terminators?

Starters, what terminators do I prefer?  

I love the look of the Tartaros Terminators more, alongside their flexability compared to Indomitus Terminators, and better movement value over Cataphractii.  As my force is 30/31K based, they also fit my theme.

Options used:

Pretty much as you can see in the quote block.

How they are used:

Generally, I will put them in the shadows with my 10-man Vanguard Veteran squad and my "Shrike" counts-as.

When it comes time to deploy them, I look at who has the first turn, and what the opposing deployment is like.  They are then deployed to either support the Vanguard by being a bigger threat, or, to threaten a flank that looks particularly exposed/threatening.

If I get first turn, they are 9.1 Inches from what I want dead, they then move their full movement, fire, and charge.  Generally, they will engage heavy armour, such as Leman Russes.

If I don't have First Turn, they become an important unit in cover that is almost impossible to shift in the normal scheme of things, with their base of 1+ save.  They are in a position to threaten HVTs, and prevent direct damage to slightly weaker units.

As a side note, I will sometimes put my Lascannon Devastators in the shadows too, and then deploy them where they will do the most good.

So, all in all, I've found striking from teh shadows far superior to Deep Striking them, especially as it mitigates the >9" Charge range required to get into combat, and allows me to address units that may cause problems in the early game.

Don't forget, the Terminators won't last long if considered in a vacuum, however, when considered alongside the rest of your force, they can be a really useful to either distract or threaten as required.

I don't know why I've not thought to SFTS my Cataphractii. I love the look of them but their movement is a real hamper. I do love getting them into rapid fire range though because 20 shots will usually chew up any infantry unit they can get close too.

I have a mix of 2 power fists, 1 chain fist, a lightning claw, and the power sword in my squad right now. I think next I play I'll take them and try to SFTS near armor so they can charge that after they shoot up an infantry squad.

I've never looked at the Tartaros (mostly because I've got one unit of Cataphractii done and another on sprue) but their extra two inches of movement and no assault penalty are nice. They're not as customizable but they are more expensive... lots of options to consider. I really don't care for the 'regular' terminators at all and I don't think I'll ever run any of those.

Thanks for starting a new thread! I get caught up in discussions and forget to seperate them out.  I'm just starting out so really interested in everyone's opinions about what to add to my force when I (eventually) get round to it. Like i said tataros seems like the fluffly choice....

Why do you SFTS your VVs? Does that have some benefit over them descending? I can't keep all the rules in my head so i can't remember if you can charge the turn after you descend.

I do think, for what its worth, that regular termies painted up with the white arms look pretty cool....

Thanks for starting a new thread! I get caught up in discussions and forget to seperate them out.  I'm just starting out so really interested in everyone's opinions about what to add to my force when I (eventually) get round to it. Like i said tataros seems like the fluffly choice....

Why do you SFTS your VVs? Does that have some benefit over them descending? I can't keep all the rules in my head so i can't remember if you can charge the turn after you descend.

I do think, for what its worth, that regular termies painted up with the white arms look pretty cool....

When you deep strike VV, they deploy 9" away, and have to roll a 9 or more to charge (Very poor odds)

If you SFTS them, they get to deploy at the end before the first turn, can be deployed with the knowledge of who gets first turn. You drop them 9" away, then on your turn can MOVE and CHARGE with them, effectively making them a guaranteed charge. Also, because they can move and charge, its quite possible to jump bubble wrap units and get to the juicy stuff, when using STFS.

Basically it takes a unit that almost never gets a good charge to always getting a good charge.

Pretty much what Itvyper said.

I prefer to know that I have a sure thing when I am going for charges.

This means I will greatfully sacrifice command points to ensure I have units in positions that will be of the most benefit.

I do have a randomly armed Cataphractii squad that I could trial on the table, however, they are very much in the Anti-Infantry role.

The problem i have with terminators is that they just cost so much(I will admit i love the look of the Tartaros Terminators and want to pick some up).  A unit of VV with full LC are only a touch more expensive a unit of VV with full plasma pistols chain swords and 2 shields are roughly the same cost.  A full unit of sternguard with special issue bolters are close to 100 points cheaper.  I do not doubt they can kill what they charge but the issue becomes what then they are stuck in the open.  Honestly I think aggressors (roughly same cost)have a more competitive spot in a list.  I acutally think sfts hurts terminators more then it helps them.  You can strike full unit of hellblasters up to 15 inches away from an opponent and with rapid fire shots your going to kill a hell of alot more then the terminators could ever hope to.

Quick question that's slightly off topic but on topic related to SFTS.

Let's say I reserve my terminators on deployment, do I have to declare that I'm going to SFTS with them? If after deployment I decide I'd rather hang on to them until turn 2 can I do that?

I'm not clear if I have to declare what is going to SFTS and what is going to stay in reserves.

Let's say I reserve my terminators on deployment, do I have to declare that I'm going to SFTS with them? If after deployment I decide I'd rather hang on to them until turn 2 can I do that?

I'm not clear if I have to declare what is going to SFTS and what is going to stay in reserves.

As they cost command points, and are deployed before the first battle round starts, you have to declare SfTS when you deploy a unit there.

I've found that using SftS helps my terminators last significantly longer, and gets them into combat far quicker than deep strike or transporting ever has.

In fact, I rarely used terminators in 7th as there was just too much that would cut through them. Now, however, they seem to make their points back by either holding up hammer units, or, soaking a round or two of shooting. Not to mention things try and run away from them.

Remember, they are twice as survivable against small arms than vanguard or sternguard veterans, and can even rank harder hitting weaponry much more reliably than a t4/3+ unit can.

As they cost command points, and are deployed before the first battle round starts, you have to declare SfTS when you deploy a unit there.

Thanks, I just reread the stratagem and I see that you declare it when you deploy them. I guess it could be considered OP if you were able to decide what to do after deployment (hold or deploy)... that would be very (maybe too) flexible.

Is the "bomb" of 5 Terminators in a Stormraven with a Chaplain and Apothecary with a Dreadnought viable? It seems like a huge point sink, but I think it would be fun to fly them over, and be like here, catch.

As long as the bird makes it over. If you don't get first turn and they score a bunch of lucky high damage shots you've now got a lot of points out of position.