After Death Guard... What's Next?

Urriak Urruk

So I'm bored, and thought let's jump on the speculation train since there seems to be a void of "what is known" for upcoming 40k right now.

Necromunda is coming of course, I believe Warhammer Community said in November. And GW's Facebook page seemed to hint that the next Codex dropping is Eldar.

So I got a couple of theories as to which models are upcoming for 40k... these are just some guestimates.

1. New/Redone Eldar

I could see them dropping something to go with the upcoming codex.

2. More Necromunda

Maybe some more gangs are in the works. I heard it said somewhere four gangs would be ready at launch, but which ones?

3. Sisters of Battle

There is that wonky salty rumor, but beyond that I've never seen GW hint at SoB as much as they have this past year. At least the community team seems to understand they are wanted.

4. Slaanesh Eldar

There was that interesting image in the Xenos Index that had a missing "branch" of Aeldari that seemed to represent Eldar in thrall of Slaanesh.

5. Emperor's Children

Past year has had Thousand Sons, then Death Guard, maybe Emperor's Children are next? Fulgrim sneaking his way into model form?

6. Dark Angel Primaris

If I had to pick a codex-divergent chapter, I'd pick this one. An easy Primarch to return and this chapter has been ignored for some time. I could easily see them redone but Primaris-ified.

7. More Primaris

If they are the new poster-boys they may need more stuff than they've got now.

Anyway, those are my ideas. I'm leaning on something Slaanesh as it is easy to coordinate with AoS as well, and some of the unresolved rumours appear very Slaaneshy to me.

http://pre13.deviantart.net/3408/th/pre/i/2014/087/3/2/emperor_s_children_vs_orcs_by_slaanesh_goddess-d7bxs8e.jpg

I dont think Eldar will be getting new models this year. With the release of 3 codexes within a month, it doesn't leave much room for model releases. I think slaanesh is very likely for early next year but I see a loyalist primarch being in the pipe before that. My current money is on sisters of battle, Dorn, or the Lion.

I'm surprised Khorne/World Eaters didn't make your list. Seems an obvious next step for daemon primarch, updating berzerkers, and it goes along with the new Khârn model.

The Khârn model is actually why I didn't add them. Its the kind of model I think would be saved for a bigger release if they planned to have Angron and an updated World Eaters lineup. I think they are coming, but Slaanesh is probably before them.

If Craftworlds are getting their codex next then Tyranids will follow.

So far the new models since the release of 8th edition have all been Primaris and Death Guard, right? It seems unlikely to me that they'd release Primaris, then Death Guard, and then go back do more Primaris. Maybe if they're Dark Angels or something.

While they may release models unconnected to a codex release, I don't know about models unconnected to any book at all (like Gathering Storm). They said they were going to get everybody an 8th ed codex out as soon as possible, and they seem intent on doing that. Putting out a random supplement with more Primaris stuff would not be that plan, and might make a lot of people unhappy given how many players are still waiting for a codex.

So... maybe Eldar or Tyranids? Or maybe they want to focus on AoS for a while, and it'll be whoever's after Eldar and Tyranids.

I dunno, a lot of the time it seems like GW makes these decisions by hacking up a pigeon and reading its entrails.

I'm pretty sure its Tyranids then Eldar, but the previews just said Eldar, Tyranids and Astra Militarum in that order which clearly was not the release order.

I'm not expecting any 40k model releases in november outside of Necromunda. Except for Eldrad with the Eldar Codex.

I think the most likely next 40k book to get new models along with it will be Daemons and it will just be Beasts of Nurgle and the Great Unclean One.

We know that next month at least two codizes will be released, so my guess is Nids and Eldar will just get a Codex and not much more. They would have started with creating a hype weeks ago if they want to make a 6-weeks-release with one of them. 

For Necromunda I guess Orlock and Cawdor will join Escher and Goliath.

If they keep the release scheme I would say they will do an imperial codex for their next 6-weeks-release. They stated that they want to focus on Imperium against Chaos, so that sounds right. Although I don´t think that the next big 40k thing will be in January. They didn´t do anything new for AoS in the last months and I would say they will start the year with that, followed up by 40k in February/March. Very likely a Primarch with retinue.

SoB will get released during summer if they really release them at all. I wouldn´t take the "hint" serious, GW only mentioned them a year ago in a WHTV video and we know how well the plastic thunderhawk "hint" worked....

Angron and Khorne will be the next for Chaos. Slaanesh will get a huge revamp (they want to go away from the "oversexualisation") with own plot how he/she came back, as the last legion/god still missing. Slaanesh will be a big thing for AoS and as well as 40k.

My wife would certainly like to see new Nids models. Specifically models for units that currently have none in existence or are extremely outdated.

Nothing relevant for me anytime soon. My Primarch will be among the last to appear, if ever.

I'm hoping for a lot of stuff, not sure about what will be next.

I'd like to see:

New Angron and World Eaters

The return of the Lion

New Nids and Ork goodies

A plastic update to Craftworld, Sisters and generic Chaos.

More primaris, like Rhino for them, flyer, more flexible support, and to shore up the holes in them as a force. This is last on my list, as I think the ignored model lines deserve attention first, even though I doubt that will be the case.

My thoughts on whats next:

Chaos: late 2018

Emperors Children models

Slaanesh Deamons:

---Line revamp and refresh

Lorgar deamon primarch

Imperium: rumored early 2018

Sisters of battle:

---line refresh, models will still be stylized, but boob plate will be merged not unlike stormcast females.

Tau: spring 2018

new species added, probably something from the ghoul stars: my guess the bat things, fills the void for an elite close combat unit

Warzone: Armageddon summer 2018

Orks:

Prime ork ghaz

new higher tech orks

imperial guard:

yarrick

upgrade packs not unlike space marine upgrade packs to make various regiments

rogue trader: christmas

rules for auxillaries for both rogue traders/rogue inquistors/tau

upgrade packs for auxillary species

I am going to throw in SWs and BA in first half of 2018, BA before SWs. I dont think they will get anything other than maybe MAYBE a unique Primaris, updated character models, and even more unlikely is a new character to replace killed off characters.

My thoughts on whats next:

Chaos: late 2018

Emperors Children models

Slaanesh Deamons:

---Line revamp and refresh

Lorgar deamon primarch

Imperium: rumored early 2018

Sisters of battle:

---line refresh, models will still be stylized, but boob plate will be merged not unlike stormcast females.

Tau: spring 2018

new species added, probably something from the ghoul stars: my guess the bat things, fills the void for an elite close combat unit

Warzone: Armageddon summer 2018

Orks:

Prime ork ghaz

new higher tech orks

imperial guard:

yarrick

upgrade packs not unlike space marine upgrade packs to make various regiments

rogue trader: christmas

rules for auxillaries for both rogue traders/rogue inquistors/tau

upgrade packs for auxillary species

Certainly possible. But the SoB armor has already been shown in the two bodyguards Celestine has.

I would like to see a Xenos release. Any Xenos release. We’ve been overloaded with Primaris and they really dragged out the Death Guard - now it’s time for something else. I’m really hoping for a big Ork release. One which gets rid of all remaining finecast.

But.... that’s not what I think will happen. Necromunda will probably take up most of the release schedule before Christmas (where Blood Bowl fit in last year) and maybe a small AoS release in December.

Next year I’m guessing they will get back into Primaris with the non-codex Astartes and continue to pump out Codexes.

I think the vast majority of Codexes will arrive without any notable model support. It's possible a couple might get their Start Collecting boxes tweaked like we're seeing with the Eldar and Tyranids next month, and that other factions that don't have one at all (Genestealer Cults, Dark Angels) might get one, but beyond that I don't think many will get genuinely new models apart from:

• Chaos Daemons - We pretty much know at this point that new Nurgle Daemons are coming, with the new Beasts of Nurgle artwork from the Death Guard book and corresponding rumour engine images. While I actually think that those new models will be part of an AoS focused release, I suspect Codex Chaos Daemons will arrive at the same time because that just makes loads of sense. Also think this is the next significant release, probably in December or January.
  • Sisters of Battle - It's inevitable, it's just the timescale we don't know. I think the concept and design work done for Celestine and the Geminae will wave been the precursor to this as a major project. Really, a single kit could accomodate the majority of existing basic unit options and give the design team real room to flesh them out as a faction with new units and vehicles.
  • Ynnari - At the moment, they are in a pretty weird place as a named separate faction which has nothing unique (model wise) aside from named characters. Could be anything from a couple of units to a full-blown army release, but I'm expecting the Ynnari book to arrive with models to really set them apart and not just be a mish-mash of Craftworld and Drukhari units with a unifying paintjob. 

Ynnari getting a nice new codex with some units & vehicles to go with the characters would be kind of cool, maybe really go to town and make the units exodites or something to tie it home.

Khorne will be before Slaanesh methinks, mainly as they don't need to rely on an AoS release for it and Slaanesh is obviously going through a lot of internal planning at GW to make the god a bit more consumer friendly across the board.

Let's face it, other than to get a codex out for an existing faction, the main factions are being redone where possible to stop copyright infringement and to make them into new armies.

It's already happened with Primaris & Death Guard. Thousand Sons will be soon to follow and then we'll probably see a Xeno race get a sweeping model update and a new codex (like Ynnari I mentioned).

Honestly I hope we get new Xenos charcters and redone finecast kits (in plastic, i.e. new Flayed Ones). 

For those people out there who have sincere cause to be negative about a lack of releases, I hope they get what they've been looking for. 

Unfortuanely it'll be more Primmies, probably. As a marine player i am not entirely miffed by that but they do have some good stuff already, so they don't need a lot more, I think, and overload can dull the effect of a new release.