After Death Guard... What's Next?

Urriak Urruk

Hate to be the naysayer but I think we’re going to be looking at an AOS heavy year next year. This year there was a lot of 40K and I feel like GW are gonna switch it up a bit.

On the plus side, there should be plenty of Necromunda stuff according to all the promos. :)

I am curious to see wether the Necromunda gangs get any kind of 40K army treatment. I know that it doesn’t really work from a fluff perspective but everything that’s been released in a stand alone game for the last few years has had a full army release as well.

Maybe they could be part of a PDF-esqe militia army.

Unlikely I know, but still got me wondering.

Hate to be the naysayer but I think we’re going to be looking at an AOS heavy year next year. This year there was a lot of 40K and I feel like GW are gonna switch it up a bit.

On the plus side, there should be plenty of Necromunda stuff according to all the promos. :smile.:

I am curious to see wether the Necromunda gangs get any kind of 40K army treatment. I know that it doesn’t really work from a fluff perspective but everything that’s been released in a stand alone game for the last few years has had a full army release as well.

Maybe they could be part of a PDF-esqe militia army.

Unlikely I know, but still got me wondering.

Well the next couple of weeks will be Codexes for 40k, and Shadespire for AoS.

Then November rolls around, with Necromunda and hopefully some new gangs for it.

Then December we don't know. Could be Titanicus, could be Talisman, could be Bloodbowl teams, or AoS Malign Portents. There is definitely room for 40k next year, the past year had big AoS releases like Kharadron Overlords so I don't think they are entitled anything.

There is definitely room for 40k next year, the past year had big AoS releases like Kharadron Overlords so I don't think they are entitled anything.

I don't understand this. Do the big 40k releases like Death Guard mean 40k isn't entitled anything? Or do you mean that AoS players aren't entitled anything but 40k players are?

I'm hoping that's not what you meant.

I think he’s just saying that just because we got lots of 40K releases this year doesn’t mean there will be lots of AOS releases next year.

And that’s true. But I’m still thinking we’re looking at more AOS stuff than 40K. Just a feeling based on nothing. Most of the unsolved rumour engine pics do seem more AOS to me though.

On a more board-friendly note,I also believe we’ll see World Eaters get a full release late 2018. TS last year, Death Guard this year? GW has been having some great success with the big 4 Chaos Marine armies so far, don’t see why they’d change that.

And World Eaters seem a little more likely to me than Emperors Children.

Edited by Corswain

There is definitely room for 40k next year, the past year had big AoS releases like Kharadron Overlords so I don't think they are entitled anything.

I don't understand this. Do the big 40k releases like Death Guard mean 40k isn't entitled anything? Or do you mean that AoS players aren't entitled anything but 40k players are?

I'm hoping that's not what you meant.

Corswain made a point earlier that 40k is having a big year with the new Primaris and Death Guard, so the next year will have much more AoS.

I was just saying that AoS actually has had a pretty big slate of releases as well, though I suppose the balance could shift in their favor a little bit.

The past year had big AoS releases like Kharadron Overlords so I don't think they are entitled anything.

On the other hand, Kharadron Overlords was the last major release for AoS and it was back in April. Everything since then (which barring the 2 characters includes Blightwar) has been a reboxing of existing models. We know November is Necromunda so that means that entire system won't have seen a significant release in at least 7 months. Would we accept that if it was 40k?

Ignoring Codex books, what new 40K releases have we had since 8th dropped? I'm struggling to keep track.

And don't count bundles of existing product. That's like saying a new 9 pack of Diet Coke is a new product.

The Primaris model range, and the Death Guard model range. Everything else has been a reboxing (either into a bundle or from a bundle into an individual release), or a Codex and Datacards.

Yikes, I didn't mean to escalate things.

I think it's important to be clear about the distinction between what GW should do, and what GW is likely to do given past behavior. And given GW's past behavior, I think it's important to remember that all players matter and deserve toys.

That's it all I was saying. AoS players are important and deserve toys. Eldar/Tyranid/Sisters of Battle players are important and deserve toys.

And now we can go back to speculating on what kind of Space Marine GW will probably release next.

And now we can go back to speculating on what kind of Space Marine GW will probably release next.

Lol.

Green ones, I hope. But real Space Marines, not Primaris. I wanna see a plastic DA tacticals kit (like the BA one) and all the resin characters replaced with plastic.

The next plastic DA model will be the Lion and maybe a Luther if he somehow escapes.

Otherwise expect some resin 30k DA.

Orks need a codex and I hope they get the Iron Jawz treatment, bigga badda greena. I'd love for them to be next.

I don't believe there will be normal space marine releases or re-releases except for codexes for the divergent chapters. All Imperial marines releases will be primaris.

Curious to see how they handle chaos.

I'm curious to see how GW will handle future releases. If AoS is anything to go by it's going to be a concentration on new lines with the old lines being largely ignored.

We should expect nothing for Eldar, Space Marines (aside from Primaris), Adeptus Mechanicus or any of the others including Chaos. It'll be Ynarri, Primaris and individual Chaos powers like the Death Guard one.

Which is a shame as there is still so much that can be added. Consider variant assault Marines equipped like Heresy Destroyers, or Tactical Marines with Breacher Shields. Lots can be done if there was a will to do it.

I am loving 8th edition but aside from a box of Assault Marines and Vanguard, I've bought nothing new since Betrayal at Calth. I WANT to open my wallet and get excited for Christmas for my Marines again!

Orks, Craftworlds, Harlequins, and Dark Eldar all have units described in the lore that have never appeared in the game, or else which were dropped from the game a long time ago. Past what's already been written, the Dark Eldar's lore has so much potential for new units that it almost seems incomplete to me. I understand feeling a little tapped out of ideas for Marines (though there's clearly more material to mine in the Heresy), but there's a lot of room for new material with other races.

I swear I'm starting to get an eye twitch from the phrase "legacy army." The legacy of these armies is that GW wanted to make more Space Marines.

If they're going to continue to neglect Xenos armies it's because they're not interested in supporting them for whatever reason, not because there's no room for new ideas or units.

They did say with the launch of 8th that they wanted to focus more on the Imperium and Chaos. (...I think I know why they might be running low on ideas.) If that's to be taken as a mission statement, and so far it seems to have been, it narrows down what the next new models will be.

I'll bet my chainsword that we'll see Codex Angron and chums as the next release with actual new models. The rest will be Primaris follow ups with online rules/data sheets in boxes etc.

The term legacy is an interesting discussion in regards to army and model support. Are they legacy simply because they get no new models but still get new rules? The line is blurred.

Personally I feel like new models should come out or at least new upgrade sprues to have new twists on old models, but we can't predict what's happening. That might not be economically viable (though I suspect it is actually more efficient to get more out of old product lines with just a little extra investment).

Bionic Orks, new Eldar Aspect Warriors from Guardians, Tyranids evolve anyway, existing Marines like Tactical squads with Breacher Shields etc.

There's loads of space to do stuff without even building new kits.

I'll bet my chainsword that we'll see Codex Angron and chums as the next release with actual new models. The rest will be Primaris follow ups with online rules/data sheets in boxes etc.

Agree on Angron. GW won’t wanna miss out on that particular golden-goose.

Kinda feel like we’ve seen all Primaris for a while, excepting Chapter specifics and FW stuff obviously. It seems silly to release a codex and model range update and then another one so soon.

Not saying it’s impossible (it is still GW afterall) but I hope they shift their focus elsewhere.

The term legacy is an interesting discussion in regards to army and model support. Are they legacy simply because they get no new models but still get new rules? The line is blurred.

Personally I feel like new models should come out or at least new upgrade sprues to have new twists on old models, but we can't predict what's happening. That might not be economically viable (though I suspect it is actually more efficient to get more out of old product lines with just a little extra investment).

Bionic Orks, new Eldar Aspect Warriors from Guardians, Tyranids evolve anyway, existing Marines like Tactical squads with Breacher Shields etc.

For me an army or unit becomes legacy when GW stop producing a codex for that army every few years or don't put the unit in the codex, if GW can't even be bothered to sell you a book for that army/unit then I would take that as a sign it is coming to an end.

It is what happened to my Dogs of War in Warhammer Fantasy, limped along with a free PDF before GW finally finished them off.

Edited by Shockmaster

At the point they can stop producing rules for the models, but where the models have been OOP for long enough that fanboys will defend it as, "Ugh but they were made YEARS ago, come on guys the game has to evolve, stop living in the past! Gawd!"