Painting Aquila's

Buggane

Pretty straightforward one this, we all have to paint white Aquila's and other chest details (unless you are a silver heretic), how does everyone do it. I find mine don't have the depth of shading that others get, but can't work out why not. I just end up with a white/dirty white effect, which isn't what I want...

Going off of a Black Prime. 

Base It Celestra Grey. 

Shade the thing Drakenhof NIghtshade.

Highlight Ulthuan grey and touch up the wash as necessary as this needs to cover most of the celestra.

Highlight white scar being careful to only get edges flat surfaces near the edge.

Beyond the base you should never be totally covering the previous layer

If you're in a hurry to get a force table top ready, you could always just drybrush white over a black base.

Sometimes the simplest thing looks good.

If you do it that way, make sure your brush is nearly dry and go over it a few times until you have the contrast you want.

If you're in a hurry to get a force table top ready, you could always just drybrush white over a black base.

If you do it that way, make sure your brush is nearly dry and go over it a few times until you have the contrast you want.

I did try this but it all went a bit wrong, it's part of the reason I ended up with a white aquila. Do you use your normal dry brush for this or a small normal brush with not much paint on it

If you're going straight to white then brush it on your thumb as your holding the miniature. You'll only want the slightest amount coming off before it's ready to start brushing on the miniature.

I base in dark grey then use a 000 brush the layer on progressively lighter greys to the 'feathers' up to white on the tips. I like it but it's unforgiving of the slightest slips and very time consuming.

I did try this but it all went a bit wrong, it's part of the reason I ended up with a white aquila. Do you use your normal dry brush for this or a small normal brush with not much paint on it

I use a regular brush with so little paint on it that it doesn't leave a mark if you casually brush it against something.

It takes a few passes, and takes a little practice at getting most of the paint off the brush.

I tried the drybrush method that C&E mentioned on my last guys. I did OK but my brush was to wet with paint. I'll give it another go on my next batch of guys.

Regarding the wash method, what color is drakenhof nightshade? purple? I have the whole line of Secret Weapon Miniatures washes so I can usually find an equivalent in there.

Someone here has some really great looking dry brushed one... can't remember who's thread it was though ...

I do ulthuan layer

Drakenhof wash

White scar layer

Although I might be changing that to WS dry brush in future ...

Drakenhof is a dark bluish wash