Is anyone using max-sized bike units?

MeltaRange

Hey.  I have been experimenting with some different CT and some different army types with my marines (since they are a custom chapter) and I have a few games lined up next weekend - I plan to use White Scars tactics for these.

Has anyone used 8 bike + 1 attack bike squads armed with chainswords and special weapons to take best advantage of Born in the Saddle?  How is that working out for you?

My army is going to include one such unit + a drop pod carrying Khan + Lieutenant to try and set up a turn 1 charge (and potential use of Honor the Chapter) utilizing str5 attacks re-rollings hits/wounds of 1.

Curious how you equip the unit.  I'm thinking melta, but I could see grav or plasma being useful as well.  Here's my full list:

Battalion 1

Khan

Lieutenant

5 Intercessors - Auto-Bolt Rifle; Grenade Launcher; Power Sword

5 Vanguard Veterans - Jump Packs; TH/SS

Drop Pod

Battalion 2

Librarian - Jump Pack; Force Sword; Bolt Pistol

Librarian - Jump Pack; Force Sword; Bolt Pistol

Terminator Librarian - Force Axe; SS; Mantle of the Stormseer (warlord)

5 Tactical Marines - Heavy Bolter; Power Axe

5 Scouts - Missile Launcher; 4x Sniper Rifles

5 Devastators - Plasma Cannon; Missile Launcher; 2x Lascannon

8 Bikes + Attack Bike - Combi-Melta; 2x Meltagun; 5x Chainsword; Heavy Bolter

(another version of the list drops 2 librarians & devastators and adds in an Inquisitor in Termie armor w/ no overwatch spell, some plasma acolytes + jokaero, and 3 assassins)

• 1 month later...

I'm tempted to go that route if I end up doing a White Scars army. However, I am most likely leaning towards Squads of 8x Bikes without the Attack Bike option as I plan to utilize the Outrider Bikes from FW.

I rarely do.  At most I run a 6 man unit with no AB.  I have been favoring 4 man units with a Combi on the sgt, 2 special weapons, one guy with chainsword for wound buffering and then an AB with either weapon to support the main unit weapons.

Unfortunetly Ultramarines are the best bikers :(. Bikes don’t have the close combat attacks to make charging again really anything other than situational. Bikes are far better at shooting with those twin bolters, 2x special weapons and a combi weapon.

I've been considering it with scout bikes.  A squad of 9 scout bikes, all come with combat knives (chain sword equivalent) and shotguns.  With their 16" move and 8" advance, they put out 54 S4 shots at 12" (or 36 + 18 S 5 shots at 6").  So that is a 36" threat range for a ton of shots, and then on the charge they have 18 attacks.  Then if they do decide to fall back (and potentially charge again) they get to do D3 mortal wounds if you use a CP.  They are also a bit cheaper.  On the downside they give up a bit of durability. 

As for the charge after fall back, I really think that is more of a mobility play than a power play, fall back 16" then charge something to get to an objective, tie up a tank etc