Lord of Contagion- a missed opportunity.

Arufel87

I'm finding it a bit sad that this character seems so lacklustre in comparison to Typhus. In essence this guy is just a melee beatstick who can improve a melee unit armed with plague weapons.

I think that he should have gained the lord's reroll ones aura too. Am I missing something or is Typhus just the go to for most lists?

I totally agree with you. I find the Lord of Contagion very lackluster. I started off using 2 of them, but more recently have dropped to 1.  I feel like even with the points decrease he's still too much and I feel like he just doesn't synergise well with anything. I think I'll just use mine as a Chaos Lord with Chainfist from now on. The loss of T5 and DR hurts, but with M5" he can at least plod along with my Plague Marines to give rerolls and be a mean countercharge once they're up close.

That said I don't use Blightlord Terminators or Deathshroud. He might have a place dropping in with them but I feel Deathshroud are similarly overcosted and if I'm going to use Blightlords I need to rethink large parts of my list (and buy models I don't own!).

Never used the fatty, and likely won't. I prefer our crappy 'not-actually-a-son-of-Mortarion' Chaos Lord to the Lord of Contagion. At least the Chaos Lord helps all Death Guard units, not just those poking away with plague weapons. 

I'll use one to represent my Praetor 10,000 years in the future, but otherwise I'm very disappointed by the entry. He should have been given the re-roll of 1s like previously stated, as well as more weapons options. That just seems to be the trend for 8th Edition codices, lack of options and imagination in that regard. Disappointing.

I love his rules...in a vacuum. Most other marine units don't get that amount of defensive stats paired with a respectable amount of attacks on a weapon that's better than a relic blade. The problem is typhus exists and is better alone for psychic powers, melee weapon and having a ranged weapon; poxwalker buff pushes him way past the value benchmark.

Prince has speed, aura and offence; lord has aura and basement bargain price.

The other side of this bad penny is that Typhus is such a good deal for the points that he is an auto include. He combines an army buff mechanic with a lvl2 psyker and a lord of contagion in one. He should be around the 200 point mark while the lord of contagion should be around 125.

The only scenario that I can see him being useful in is a max blob of blightlords or plague marines handing out reroll wounds. Sadly even this can be achieved through other HQs with arch contaminator.

Well there's hope GWs going to adjust the points with their chapter approved book already. The chapter approved book was the one with the ~yearly adjustments, right?

He makes for a killer Blightlord Champion. 

I've only played two games of 8th with the starter armies, myself. The Lord of Contagion wasn't much cop in either of them, though maybe I was just using him badly or rolling like a goober. Both times I wanted him to carve his way through Intercessor Squads led by Lieutenants. 

Well there's hope GWs going to adjust the points with their chapter approved book already. The chapter approved book was the one with the ~yearly adjustments, right?

It would be nice to see GW use the Chapter Approved books to adjust points and even rules / options. We all know the lack of wargear options for not only the LoC, but Plague Marine Champion, Blightlord Champion, and the various independent characters is severely disappointing. 

On LoC vs. Typhus, while Typhus doesn't really benefit the army besides Poxwalker buff and obviously being a Psyker, he's just much more of a sledgehammer as well. Whenever I send him into CC with an enemy, I rarely have any doubt he'll come out on top and I've seen him surprisingly mop the floor with just about any other HQ I've put him base-to-base with.

It would be nice to see GW use the Chapter Approved books to adjust points and even rules / options. We all know the lack of wargear options for not only the LoC, but Plague Marine Champion, Blightlord Champion, and the various independent characters is severely disappointing. 

Well I am 100 percent sure the CA will change the points, as it was stated on FLG podcast and by GW itself. Apparently they will even adjust the points for FW. I am not sure on the rules though. But given how they adjusted some of the rules in the new Codices and in FAQs, it is certainly a possibility.

You lose so much if you go Power Armour though. He would just be a glass cannon that gives a middling buff. The mortal wound proc happening once per game turn really hurts.

He needs to be criminally undercosted to be taken, because slow beatsticks are really bad this edition. A bare bones chaos lord is always a better investment because of the aura

It is basically insane that for like 25pts more (depending on weapon choice for the LoC) you get:

-2 Psychic Power attempts, one deny.

-A much better melee weapon

-A pretty crazy pistol weapon

-A buff aura for poxwalkers

Makes it basically impossible to play a LoC unless A) you really want to choose a different warlord trait onto your LoC warlord or B.) for some reason you want another after already having taken Typhus.  In either case, you'd have to be very naive to believe you weren't taking a relatively bad unit, for the cost, in the LoC.

Edited by Guidebot

True, but most who want to take him will be including him for arch contaminator. The mortal wounds in combat is situational at best from my experience. Edited by Arufel87

True, but most who want to take him will be including him for arch contaminator. The mortal wounds in combat is situational at best from my experience.

Everyone who can be is going to be arch contaminator. Tallymen, Putrifiers, Plaguecasters, doesn't matter. The only exceptions is Mamon due to his high wound and Toughness making the +1 T or -1 damage attractive, and a Daemon Prince with Plate and 4+ FNP

He makes for a killer Blightlord Champion. 

I've only played two games of 8th with the starter armies, myself. The Lord of Contagion wasn't much cop in either of them, though maybe I was just using him badly or rolling like a goober. Both times I wanted him to carve his way through Intercessor Squads led by Lieutenants. 

Ah great call on using him as a Blightlord Champion, I think that's what I'll do with mine once Typhus is painted up.