Is cawl a "must" take?

I do think Cawl suits a certain type of list. My Cawl Wall is proficient with him and mediocre without him.

I think something that would have been really interesting is if Mars would have got the strategum that Ultras did using 3CPs for rerolling all misses (which still makes Cawl superior).

actually Dogfender, i'm not sure what you said yes to...he asked two questions in that sentence...which did you agree with - 

Cawl's a must have ?..:laugh.:

or

We can get by with TPD's and Enginseers ?... :biggrin.:

I agree that Cawl forces us to choose a certain army build most certainly but if you sit back and think outside that box i'm sure lil nuggets of inspiration will reveal themselves...

as stated, before all the new forge world dogma's and stratagems Cawl would've been an Auto include,not necessarily so now...

Cheers, Mithril

If your list and playstyle involves Lots of robots onagers usually hitting with 3-4+ bs meaning you invest average 900+ points he is.

You need Cawl to provide a smaller margin in results. 4+ is an issue for such an invest. And in most cases of onahers since they are d3 shots etc you care to invest on rerolls and antiair.

Why not he is a beast . But there are lists with out him I believe semi competitive cause wrath of mars is good and destroyers and kastelans need Cawl

Ive yet to try out the new codex (running a couple of games this weekend though)

Stygies infiltraion shtick and the -1 to hit across the board though seems very strong to me.

Id also really like to try out a metallica horde list heavy on vanguard and priests (pack as many assault weapons as possible basically), backed up by some dragoons..not sure if itd be too squishy bt the thought of loads of them flooding across the board (and the sheer number of dice they can put out at close range) would be fun. If only dragoons werent so expensive (cashwise)

I had a quick, low points game on Thursday against my friends dark Eldar

My list:

2 onagers: one with neutron laser one with icarus array

Cawl

And 2 units of vanguard: one with 8 omnispex and an archive rifle, one with 9 omnispex, 2 plaz calivers, a taser goad and a phosphor pistol.

VS a tantalus full of kabalites and an Archon, a venom with kabalites, and 3 reavers.

In short: I didn't even need the skitarii. Turn one I went first and popped the tantalus with my onagers thanks to rerolls, turn two I popped the venom,turn 3 I killed the kabalites that came out of the tantalus, turn 4 I killed his Archon. We called it after that, since all he had left was 4 kabalites and 3 reavers. My skitarii didn't even fire a shot.

TLDR: Cawl + artillery = stupid dakka

Edit: point of clarity, I wasn't using codex rules, just points, since DE don't have a codex, and I'm nice.

Edited by Odds.043

I don't believe Cawl is a must take (unless you choose to go with Mars' dogma), but I think its a lot easier to design an army around him. He just has a clear set of strengths and really benefits gun line strategies. 

I think Stygies VIII is really strong, and if I'm being entirely honest I have to admit that if competitiveness is the main criteria you may want to check out Guard they just seem to be the best option atm.

I guess that boils down to if you want to be competitive, or be competitive with your chosen army. I imagine plenty of folk fall into the second camp.

I'm finding Cawl a real pain, actually. I want to build a Mars list because I can see a lot of utility from dual canticles for aggressive play from infiltrators and vanguard, dragoons etc.

But every time I build a list it needs to have Cawl to make dual canticles work. Then I just obliged to fill my points out with robots as anything else feels like shooting myself in the foot.

Really, it depends on how many CP you want.  If your force is relatively light on CP needs (Lucius comes to mind) then you can get away with a single Battalion, which means x2 Dominus is about all you'd need.  Stygies VIII can get away with less CP, too.  Really, when looking at HQ other than B.C. it's just a matter of whether you want a pure healbot (Enginseer) or need the buffs as well.  The Dominus is roughly 3x the cost so you need to make sure you're getting significant mileage out of his aura and guns, otherwise an Enginseer is a better choice just to fill obligatory slots.

The other forge worlds get a lot of powerful mobility/ durability buffs & options to compensate on the lack of Cawl. Usually things like Dragoons/ Sicarians are better with other FWs.

Mars is pretty much sit and shoot and bring some mobility if need be.