Litany of the Electromancer

Prot

How does it work now?

I've had several games where I find the 'literal' translation is questioned by me and my opponents. I've played it a few different ways trying to get comfortable with an interpretation.

So for clarity it reads:

Litany of the Electromancer:
Roll a D6 for each enemy unit that is within 1" of any affected units; on a roll of 6, the unit being rolled for suffers D3 mortal wounds.

There seems to be three interpretations I'm seeing:

1. When the canticle is 'picked' it is carried out at that time. (This is weird since these is only at the start of a Battle Round)

2. Once per turn, the owning player seems to carry this out..... (this is weird because nothing says it needs to be done at a certain time)

3. Any time this becomes an option, it's used by the owning player.

#3 is how I actually read it. Kind of like Shroudpsalm which works whenever it comes into effect.... all the time *unless you're already in cover. But I've been rolling this out and it seems very good... certainly situational and not ideal for most AdMech army's but still... better than nothing. One game I had it kick in on 3 squads late in a game taking final wounds off of HQ's. This is rare, but still...

What do you guys think? How are you playing this rule?

I think the unit is only "affected" when you determine the canticle. So you immediately do the checks on them at that point before the turn begins.

So at that point any enemy units within 1" trigger the effect.

Afterwards there are no other benefits.

I think the unit is only "affected" when you determine the canticle. So you immediately do the checks on them at that point before the turn begins.

So at that point any enemy units within 1" trigger the effect.

Afterwards there are no other benefits.

Unfortunately this is RAW...

I asked that question on the FB page before release of the Codex and they wanted to forward the question to the rules team. Now the codex is out, same wording and nothing FAQed.

It would have made more sense to just say "While this is active, roll a dice for every unit that is within 1" of you Ad Mech duders at the beginning of the Fight Phase". This is how it worked in 7th, do damage every single turn during 1 full round at the first step of the CC phase.

RAW it is just crap.