Assault phase multiple weapons

Madmonkeyman

How do attacks work with multiple weapons in the same units in the assault phase? 

Is it possible for some models to be taken out of range if other members of the squad with different close combat weapons kill too many models.

i.e. assault squad is all eligible to fight at the start of the assault phase after pile in.  Chainsword models kill 5 models in the opposing squad.  Is the sergeant with the Power fist still allowed to attack even though no models will be in an inch of him (or another Model) due to models in the opponents squad being removed.  

I think the answer is you can as you check the models are eligible to fight at the start of their activation after pile in  not after selecting a weapon  

I think the answer is you can as you check the models are eligible to fight at the start of their activation after pile in not after selecting a weapon[.]

Yes. The sergeant with the fist can attack, provided he was able to do so at the start of the step.

Step 3, choose targets, immediately follows step 2, pile in, and once a target has been designated and determined eligible no further account of range is made.

Little bit off my original topic but its still related to sequencing so thought i would ask.  Does the above work with shooting phase as well. i.e. bolt guns and melta guns. Bolt guns can shoot the melta out of range like it could in 7th edition. I would say it can't as the sequencing seems to be the same as the assault phase-  check range then select weapons.

how would his work  if a unit had an ability to shoot twice- i.e. aggressors.  Guess you would go through the whole thing twice so they could get out of range

You determine the targets for all the weapons and check if they are in range, then determine which order to resolve them.  So, no, you can't shoot yourself out of range as you already have determined that you are in range when you declared targets.  All shooting by a unit happens at the same time, the order you resolve it is usually only relevant with multi-wound models.

However, if the unit can shoot twice, you repeat the whole process a second time.  The second instance is not concurrent with the first one, but is consecutive - so you can shoot yourself out of range for the second attack with the first attack. 

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui