Tactics and dirty tricks

Wolf Lord Loki

Just to double check Azekai, are you conga lining the poxwalkers back the Deredeo, or are the unit wholly within its 6inch aura, because only units that are wholly within its aura benefit from the 5++ save, just double checking

Guilliman-89 is right. The "wholly" got added via Errata.

Did it really? I just re-read the entry and was about to post about how it is worded like any other aura. How funny. FW has all sorts of crazy out of whack stuff but that is the thing that gets changed. I trust you guys, but I am gonna go back and read the FAQ. I had no idea. 

So yeah, I was conga-lining them, like orks with the kustom force field. I'll sort that out next time I see my opponent.

That is really frustrating though. I would have been nuked off the table if not for that hellfire veil... so besides inadvertently cheating, I am going to have to figure out another way to kill Guilleman. :ermm:

Edit: you guys are totally correct. I had not used the Deredeo before Sunday, so I wasn't too familiar with the rules in the first place and the fact that there might have been an FAQ about the hellfire veil never occurred to me. Guess you could still use a Death Guard Deredeo to provide support for zombies, but you are going to have to position just right and advance it in the center of your swarm of walking dead... but it sounds really clumsy to play with, given the new wording.

<insert rant about difficulty in keeping up with a game where the rules are scattered across 4+ sources>

Edited by Azekai

Death guard with poxwalkers with buff units like Typhus + battalion of iron warrior cultists with sorcerers with the Warlord trait "cold and bitter". Now the cultists don't run to morale, bubble them around the pox walkers and use the dead walk again and clouds of flies. Now the cultists don't run and every cultist lost adds one pox walker. Along with Tide of traitors you can wind up with many more

Models than you started with (but less friends)

Which of the chaos legions do we synergise well with?

I have some heresy Thousand Sons that could be 'war banded' for 40k. Plus a few Nightlords that I converted as a modelling project.

If I made up a separate patrol detachment of these how could they integrate with the main death guard force?

Also feel free to discuss the other legions and how they can work with us! :-)

Death guard with poxwalkers with buff units like Typhus + battalion of iron warrior cultists with sorcerers with the Warlord trait "cold and bitter". Now the cultists don't run to morale, bubble them around the pox walkers and use the dead walk again and clouds of flies. Now the cultists don't run and every cultist lost adds one pox walker. Along with Tide of traitors you can wind up with many more

Models than you started with (but less friends)

This combination is getting some discussion in our meta now from top players and we really should listen to this more.

The context is, after the Commissar-Conscript combo got nerfed, the Iron Warriors "Cold & Bitter" Warlord with Cultists...which are a little more expensive but also better IMHO...was what people were turning to for a Fearless horde.  Then with that conversion into Pox Walkers, not only are we not losing a model, but it kinda got an upgrade from a Cultist becoming a Pox Walker.

An impressive "dirty trick".

Im noticing that i need to be a little bit careful in what weapons i pick for my plague marines. I modelled an axe onto one of the DI plague marines and only realised after that now hes lost his bolter (so i need to model a mace on to the same model so as to boost his attacks to make up for it!)

Ive got one unit straight out of the box (baring the second plasma i aquired) and a second that Im considering making more of a close combat squad

How do you rate the plague weapons? My thoughts which are purely theoretical (any practical experience welcome!)

Twin plague knives - not sure why i would even with the 2 attacks

Plague Mace - not bad but not likeing the -1ws

Bubonic axe - this isnt bad. Apart from stealing my bolter!

Mace and axe combo - i play Power Points so why not given i lost my smegging bolter!

Flail- shiney (in a pus glistening of rust way....). Must get one for my guys. Even losing the bolter it looks cool.

Huge Plague Cleaver - Power fist with plague effects. If i suspect my opponent will be tank heavy Im going to take a few of these.

Blight launcher - If the squad is cc-armed then i think this will be the weapon of choice. Assault weapon allows me to move/ advance/ fire as i bring my hitter to the fore

You don't take any melee plague weapons except as a gimmicky fun build. Double knife wouldn't be too expensive, but you dont get much out of it. Axe and knives are the way to go if you were to do it, but a big unit costs a lot.

Flails are nice, but really not that great on 1 and 2 attack models. Sadly you can never get more than 2d3 flail attacks per unit.; the low volume of attacks is the problem for most of the special melee weapons.

Blight launchers are the best infantry portable weapon we have, 2 in a unit of 5 with plasma gun is great. A solid gunline with a few of them and Arch contaminator chaos lord puts out a good amount of damage

I see value in plague knife with the blade of putrefaction spell, especially on a blight bombardment unit. Keeps the marines "cheap" and allow for a good amount of mortal wounds. If you're in grenade range, you're in charge range so gearing em up for melee makes sense.

Now, to get them in range... thats somthing else.

Edited by BlackTriton