If SW get a unique Primaris, what would you like to see

Jarl Caldersson

Simply what is in the title. I have been reading rumors of more Primaris and unique Primaris for the non-codex chapters.

Put the Primaris hate aside for a thread and lets enjoy a good discussion. The Primaris are here to stay I figure so might as well have sime fun and think how to make them more like the wolves.

As much as I would love to see a SW Primaris with 12" movement, outflank with a SS and frost weapons. I think some Heavy Weapon Primaris with access to Helfrost would be more probable. Something that has both wide dispersed and focused modes like the other helfrost could help us deal with horde and elite armies and could be a key unit for us. I imagine they would lose the LF re-roll 1s though in exchange for unique weapons and being sturdier.

What are you guys hopes?

I think I'd want to see a primaris unit with chain axes (always want more wolf models with axes) and either an upgraded bolt pistol (with maybe a couple helfrost pistols), or primaris Bolters with some sort of helfrost cannon upgrades. Basically have the primaris versions of blood claws, and grey hunters (think they're a bit to young for long fangs lol)

I'd love to see more helfrost. Sure it's not great, but thematically I love the idea of it and rock it on Bjorn all the time for its uniqueness

Frost giants, gravis armor, helfrost fists with a tempest shield

I know what I don't want to see.  I don't want them to replace our wulfen, wolfguard, or longfangs. 

What would be cool is if we had a primaris option for our units in addition to, and the same way that we have a wolfguard option - 5 to 10 grey hunters (or bloodclaws or longfangs) plus 0-1 pack leader, pus 0-1 wolfguard, plus 0-1 primaris.  Give the primaris pack member a list of upgrades different to but complimenting those available to the wolfguard.  Maybe a heavy helfrost cannon or similar firepower.  It would give our units an extra level of diversity and increase that motley feel that seems so right for space wolves.

Transports would be the only issue, but one easy enough to fix.  Just add a special rule that states that while primaris units are still unable to ride in landraiders or stormwolves, primaris pack members could squeeze in.

I know that GW will never go this route, but if they did I would be satisfied.

I see a lot of people saying Primaris are too young to be this or that. Remember SM can be "upgraded" to Primaris. So LF and WG could still be themselves and become Primaris stats.

I'd love to see more helfrost. Sure it's not great, but thematically I love the idea of it and rock it on Bjorn all the time for its uniqueness

Frost giants, gravis armor, helfrost fists with a tempest shield

So the fist shoots or ???? Helfrost was the name of our shooting weapons and frost our melee weapons.

I would just like to see Primaris become an upgrade option for regular wolf units I.e. Upgrade BC/GH/LF/WG to Primaris stats for X points or X increase in Power Level, then they get access to some Primaris equipment like bolt rifles for Primaris GH, heavy bolt pistols for Primaris BC etc while retaining options for specials, plasma, PW, PF and so on.

I would just like to see Primaris become an upgrade option for regular wolf units I.e. Upgrade BC/GH/LF/WG to Primaris stats for X points or X increase in Power Level, then they get access to some Primaris equipment like bolt rifles for Primaris GH, heavy bolt pistols for Primaris BC etc while retaining options for specials, plasma, PW, PF and so on.

This would be my dream 2 wound 3 attack Wolf Guard sounds oh so sweet.

The curse of the Wulfen is less prevalent amongst the Primaris strain of VIth legion geneseed, but all the darker and more potent when it rises to the surface.... the curse manifests itself amongst the Primaris as an Ironclad Dreadnought sized Wulfen-beast.

(I’m not sure I like this, but it would be a way to do a different kind of Primaris Wulfen unit)

I like the “just allow upgrades” approach.

Also what would be interesting is a renaissance of Legion era units, Grey Slayers and Deathsworn, using Primaris marines.

I'd like a WG-styled primaris unit that would allow us to customize each model, especially the option for storm shields. The jump pack version would be especially nice (replace those hand bolters with say helfrost pistols).

Character:

Primaris Wolf-Lord (or Wolf Spear 'Captain' - IF they are not Wolf Lords)

Make him iconically Fenrisian. Blend 40k SW aesthetics (Fur, Runestones, NO damn tails) and 30k stylings (celtic knots, etc.) for that Cawl-Nostalgia/Retro-Trip feel.

Give him a spear. Something new and different, but fitting.

Unit:

Something that's a beast in CC and okay at shooting (instead of Wulfen's impotent grenade launchers or Melee WGTDA having no shooting at all).

Cawl-Pattern Frost-/Poweraxes and New-Stormbolters?

Power-/Frost-Spears with inbuilt Bolter/Melter/something? (I know this borders on Heresy, but we all know Cawl... and Custodes are cool.)

A shooty unit with Helfrost sounds cool aswell.

Either way I would want something new but fitting. Not Primaris-WG-2.0 or Primaris-Wulfen-doubles

Hmm, thought about it some more.

I don't necessarily want heltrost as spam.

I could see aggressors with built in helfrost pistols/throwers.

With current rules, he'd be throwing a dangerous amount of mortal wounds.

But I am not a fan of helfrost rules currently, I think they should be more thematic. Cause movement penalties, make terrain dangerous. (allow space wolves to ignore dangerous terrain penalties from helfrost) have multipliers against flyers, and vehicles/large creatures

Primaris repulsor with helfrost turret from storm fang.

Primaris apthecary, helfrost pistol.

Primaris chaplain, lord, priest, tempest weapons

So i don't want much. i just want the existing primaris unit to have unique spin to them, in the same way Grey Hunters are slightly different from Tacticals and Long Fangs are slightly different from Devastors.

For example, what if Space Wolves Inceptors were called Fire Howlers (in honour of the Sven Bloodhowls company that died at Cadia) instead? 

Would be cool to replace the Wolf Guard Battle leader or maybe have a Rune priest in Primaris armour

Lt is WGBL

And Pimeris Rune Priest is the Primeris Liberian

SAW don't have librarians. We have different abilities and the model really doesn't fit into the SW style.

All our priests would need to be unique really.

The Primaris stuff does not really do it for me and my SW army currently moding my Primaris Lieutenant to look a bit more like my wolves.

The current Primaris librarian does not look anything like a SW solider it fits more with the smurfs and his codex legions mates.

• 3 weeks later...

There's nothing but anecdotal support of the idea that Marines can be upgraded into Primaris.  Not a thing in print in any official publication.  Chances are there won't be, unless and until GW decides to phase out regular Marine models.

These organs are implanted pretty early on in the process, it's not something that's a "do-over".

That said, I'd love to see some wolfy Primaris models - or even upgrade kits.  I like the idea that finally, the Rout has a successor in the Wolfspear.  So what it needs are leader models.

I REALLY don't like Primaris marines and never played Horus Heresy... BUT... Something cool might be to look at some of the HH units and reflect some of the units/leaders from the VI 'Legion' into 40k Space Wolves. 

I'd want a wolf priest model with an axe. We don't have chaplains or apothecaries so to me this is the most important addition. I like the axe because it separates us further from the other chapters. The other thing would be a kit of primaris that have bolters and a two handed axe, plus another ccw option so that we have the primaris version of blood claws/grey hunters. That would really be enough, because then you kitbash out kits like reivers and hellblasters and just make everything look the part.