Which Legion had the largest fleet?

DogWelder

Since the reference appeared twice in the book, I don't think it was due to editorial oversight.

In the Beast Arises series, weren't they able to whip up a fleet of hundreds of vessels in a matter of weeks/days when the Senatorum Imperialus decided to press-gang ever Rogue Trader and trade/commerce vessel into military service?

Perhaps the Ultramarines did the same. Since the Pharos beacon was the only kind of navigational marker in the Eastern half of the galaxy cut off by the Ruinstorm, literally all civilian and Imperial Army vessels probably headed for Macragge. There, they would have likely been commissioned into the depleted 13th Legion fleet.

No, that's not what happened. It's an oversight. Forge World has repeatedly provided consistent legion Fleet comparisons. This instance is the mistake. If you want to consider the ultras fleet to be the largest that's a personal thing and not supported by Forge World. Edited by Marshal Rohr

Since the reference appeared twice in the book, I don't think it was due to editorial oversight.

In the Beast Arises series, weren't they able to whip up a fleet of hundreds of vessels in a matter of weeks/days when the Senatorum Imperialus decided to press-gang ever Rogue Trader and trade/commerce vessel into military service?

Perhaps the Ultramarines did the same. Since the Pharos beacon was the only kind of navigational marker in the Eastern half of the galaxy cut off by the Ruinstorm, literally all civilian and Imperial Army vessels probably headed for Macragge. There, they would have likely been commissioned into the depleted 13th Legion fleet.

No, that's not what happened. It's an oversight. Forge World has repeatedly provided consistent legion Fleet comparisons. This instance is the mistake. If you want to consider the ultras fleet to be the largest that's a personal thing and not supported by Forge World.

Oh personally I'd be fine with either narrative. Just giving some theories to possibly explain the claim in Ruinstorm.

Does FW generally have more authority than BL regarding the Horus Heresy as a whole?

This passage from Tempest (page 82) suggests the Ultramarine fleet could be larger than it was pre Heresy, as it underwent rapid expansion post Calth

"…military ship building became a priority for those worlds which were left able to do so. Guilliman sought to improve his position by adding to his few remaining heavy warships (a handful had not been present at the muster and so were spared the ambush), with additional warships appropriated from the Imperialis Armada if they were available and modified for Space Marine use, and where possible made capturing enemy warships by boarding action a priority. The rapidity and efficiency with which this was done was phenomenal and have great import on the battles to come."

This statement doesn't necessarily support the largest of all fleets interpretation, but can support the largest of the 3 present legions interpretation

Laurie has implied that this would have been tweaked.

With Konor intact, the UMs could be churning out quite a lot of ships. The only figure I can recall seeing for shipbuilding is from the old Battle Fleet Gothic background. That said a single Lunar Class cruiser was built over a Feral World in 11 years. With the more advanced construction technology of 30k and the greater production capacity, I imagine somewhere like Konor could probably produce multiple Lunars in two or three years. Spread production across Ultramar, and I could easily imagine the UMs being able to produce over a hundred cruiser tonnage vessels between the battle of Calth and the events of Ruinstorm.