Assault phase in ruins

Madmonkeyman

So this came up at a tournament a few times this weekend. In short combat in ruins seems very complicated.  Knowing what you can and can't do is very important for objective grabbing , tying up units etc.

My understanding is that you measure base to base for models with a base for checking distances unless otherwise stated.  If they don't have a base, such as a tank then you measure to any part of the hull.

You can attack through walls as long as you are within 1 inch of an enemy. infantry can move through walls unimpeded.

So here are a few of the issues that i thought about:

1. Can i attack a tank on the floor bellow me as its hull is less than an inch away from the base of the character? Can i move up floors getting above the tank as long as i technically get closer to the model.

2.How do monstrous creatures work.  Take gilliman for example- he is a monster with a base. He can only therefore end a move on the bottom floor of a ruin.  Can he not attack anything on the second floor as distances are measured from his base not from the top of his model.  Guess the same would apply to things like imperial knights as well. 

3. Does wobbly model apply if you can't fit your model on a ruin - such as attacking a conscript squad in a 1st floor and there is no room to put your model as there is so many conscripts!

4.Last one !

can characters that are infantry move into ground floor ruins as she can move freely though walls.  If they are too big like celestine with her stupid wings and flying base would she not be able to move  ( most ruins ground floors are only 3inch and her model is a bit bigger than that. )

Edited by Madmonkeyman

number 1 is very common.  People love putting things in ruins such as objectives and they really love their tanks in cover for the 1+ save.  Came up in 2 of my 3 games at the weekend !

with regard to no 3 how do you charge a conscript squad then on a 1st floor ruin?

If there's no physical space, you don't.

It's unlikely you'll get closer to a unit on the ground by moving up.

Consolidates / pile ins are generally only 3". Which is usually the height needed to traverse levels.

You'd usually need to use your entire pile in to move directly up. Which isn't getting closer to the enemy (on the ground).

I'm sure there will be some weird occurrences this happens in. But I'm just as sure it will be unlikely. ;)

Edited by Gentlemanloser

Think your correct about jumping up levels :-)

Only other question is can thing like imperial knights get to assault things off the ground floor. Their model is within an inch but not the base. Sure they can't

By RAW they can't (doesn't stop you from discussing with your opponent and house-ruling it)