Helmet colours for Primaris marines?

Demoulius

Hail brothers,

This thursday im going to be joining my FLGS's 12 hour painting challenge. I also added them to the From rage to salvation challenge because of this. Now, im  going to be painting all the primaris marines in the box in Blood Angel colours :)

Id like to paint them properly though and we BA's can indentify our squads with helmet colours. So the natural question would be.... What colour do we paint the helmets for our Primaris marines?

I assuming the following:

Intercessor - Primaris version of tacticals. So red helmets.

Inceptor - Primaris version of assault squads. So yellow helmets.

Hellblaster - Primaris version of devastators. So blue helmets.

For the sargeants im not sure what Il be doing, but what have others done for their Primaris marines? Or better yet, is there any canon available on it yet? Because if there is I must have missed it :D

Cheers,

Demo

Aggressors and hellblasters are blue helms

Reivers and inceptors are yellow helms

Intercessors are red helms

Lieutenants and ancients appear to be gold helms.

Captains are red or gold helms.

Sergeants match their unit colours for blood angels, instead they have black shoulder pads.

Edited by Blindhamster

Just question out of curiosity can primaries marine get into veteran rank?

I know there are rumors that BA chapter is almost wiped, so based on that we might be seeing lot more primaris in our ranks, moreover some might have been gone "rambo" over the siege of Baal to get into veteran ranks...but..

..BUT...there is huge but...isnt the BA famouse to have a lot of "old" marines that have longer life span over the regular marines ? In other words, the infinite BA source of veterans?

Sorry I don not want to steal the thread, just being curiuose

~BT

I guess it depends on what makes a veteran. I would argue that skill is the most important qualification for membership of the 1st company. Now it may be that skill takes time to develop but I am sure there are plenty of "old hands" who don't make the 1st because it is not just about long service.

We haven't seen Primaris Veterans yet although logically there should be some equivalents. The 200+ years of the Indomitus Crusade is plenty of time for heroes and veterans to emerge, even by the unusually long life-span of the Blood Angels. To a certain extent, Primaris have been restricted by GW consciously trying to avoid producing Primaris versions of existing Marine units. Hellblasters are shorter ranged but more mobile than Devastators, Inceptors are more shooty than Assault squads, Reivers are for close range but are not a blender unit etc. GW would have to invent a new niche for Primaris veterans.

Aggressors and hellblasters are blue helms

Reivers and inceptors are yellow helms

Intercessors are red helms

Lieutenants and ancients appear to be gold helms.

Captains are red or gold helms.

Sergeants match their unit colours for blood angels, instead they have black shoulder pads.

I'd agree with all the above. I tend to keep my sergeant's bare headed so I have an easy get out on that one.

I've pretty much kept my dudes the old colors, Red for Tactical / Intercessor , Yellow for Assault / Inceptor , Blue for Devastator / Hellblaster , Sergeants have black pads veteran or otherwise but same helmet color , Gold for my Sternguard and Vanguard , Sanguinary Guard are Gold Armor with White and Red Details , my Ancient has a Gold Helmet , my Captains have the same color helmet as their armor Red or Gold depending on how I decided to paint them up , my Lieutenants I've done with Gold Helmet and a wide Black stripe starting from the eye lenses going back. Also with the older color scheme that I use is Black Trim on all of them other than the Captain and Sergeants , Captains normally get a Gold Trim and Sergeants get Red Trim, though I have adopted the Black / Dark Grey Aquila except for Captains in Red Armor who gets Gold, Gold Armored Captains get a White Aquila. My Chaplains are Black Armored with Bone Aquila and other details and Sanguinary Priests are White with Red Aquila and details. Liberians are Blue with Gold Aquila and details with Red Pads. I don't have any Techmarines yet so I don't have a scheme for them yet, probably mostly reds and gunmetal.

But that's how I paint my dudes up. To me its visually stimulating and relatively easy to who's who and what's what.

The thing is that we have to guess currently. We can't really expect to follow the same pattern described in C:SM (if there is one described at all) since BA have always done it a bit differently and the only BA related Primaris color scheme we know about is one of a Successor chapter and not a BA parent chapter Primaris.

I'm sure we'll get plenty info once the Codex drops but till then our best bet is to just do it like with our regular Marines I guess.

We don't have to guess at all.

The dark imperium box specified that BA helmet colours were based on battlefield role. With red for battleline, blue for support and yellow for close support.

The new display at WHW for BA vs necrons is almost entirely primaris marines and shows yellow helms on the reivers And blue on aggressors.

I don't believe it has any lieutenants or ancients in it though

• 1 year later...

Now that's what I call a Necro. I doubt anybody was still doubting the helmet colours at this point. :D

That being said the Primaris Ancient didn't get a golden helmet from GW unlike his regular Marine brothers. Apparently GW doesn't see him as a Veteran.

However I'm playing a successor chapter and do it slightly differently anyway. My Primaris Ancient got a golden helmet as well and all my Sergeants are getting black helmets instead of black pauldrons. ;)

I prefer to follow the old ways as much as possible. Thus the veteran sergeants maintain the color of the squad type on their helmet.

Back in 2nd edition the only unit with gold helmets was the (specially allowed) 5-man veteran assault squad that acted as Dante's bodyguard. Even the company standard bearer had red helmet. The veteran sergeants of that era were mostly identified by their special equipment and perhaps extra purity seals.

In the 3rd edition the veteran assault squads still had yellow helmets (it's their role insignia), it was enough that they wore the skull sign of the 1st on the right shoulder. The Honor Guard appears and they wear gold helmets to identify their role better.

During the 4th Dante's Honor Guard appears painted fully gold and it still fits the theme, they are the chapter master's guard, not a captain's. Veteran assault remains yellow helmeted.

In the 5th the Sanguinary Guard appears and the codex keep the gold power armoured honor guard from the 4th, as well as red armour with gold helm for other honor guards. And the confusion starts here because now the 1st company veterans (sternguard or vanguard) also have gold helmets, perhaps zealous of the Ultramarines white?

Also, other companies' veterans appear with gold helmet.

And it has been like that today.

Now, is 1st co vets have gold helms, why the terminators don't? Just like the Ultramarines?

My vet sergeants don't have gold helms, only extra decoration if possible.

Gold helmets are restricted to bodyguards, command squads etc. I consider company vets as such anyway.

1st company power armoured troops don't need gold helms, they wear the skull on their shoulder.

Lieutenants and captains also have shoulder insignia.

Otherwise we would end up with the whole army wearing gold helmets in the end...

Edited by Spyros

To be fair, veteran sergeants (as in a vet sergeant of a tactical squad, not sergeants in veteran companies) arent a thing anymore. Even when they were tho, I had decided to give them a red helm with golden laurels or something and an extra bling shoulderpad.

Also there arent any primaris veteran units yet, but there is a primaris lieutenant in the 1st company in the lore, that makes him a veteran by default.

Also there arent any primaris veteran units yet, but there is a primaris lieutenant in the 1st company in the lore, that makes him a veteran by default.

Correct. Still GW hasn't provided any chapter with terminator lieutenant models yet.

In the case of primaris, where is it mentioned that primaris astartes have been inducted in the 1st company of any chapter?

And even if they were, he still wouldn't need a gold helmet in my army, the company badge of the 1st on his shoulder would be enough to mark him out.

Otherwise we would end up with the whole army wearing gold helmets in the end...

Not really. Veteran Sergeants don't exist rules-wise anymore so if you don't want them to be veterans just don't paint them like that. They can be regular Sergeants just fine.

Only the actual Veteran units and HQs would end up with golden helmets but the main bulk of your army would still be wearing red, blue and yellow helmets (unless you min-max your army to only include veterans but then you apparently focus more on crunch than on fluff anyway).

In the case of primaris, where is it mentioned that primaris astartes have been inducted in the 1st company of any chapter?

And even if they were, he still wouldn't need a gold helmet in my army, the company badge of the 1st on his shoulder would be enough to mark him out.

Nowhere. The Primaris fluff is still getting build up slowly. It's also not mentioned that they are not included in any 1st companies.

Athenos is a Primaris Lieutenant in the Blood Angels Chapter and serves as Captain Karlaen's Warden of the Blood. Should Karlaen fall in battle, it would be Athenos' duty to take charge of the First Company and lead them to victory.

8th edition codex, pg 73?

Im pretty sure that guy is in the 1st Company. Now, can he be there without being a veteran? No idea.

Athenos is a Primaris Lieutenant in the Blood Angels Chapter and serves as Captain Karlaen's Warden of the Blood. Should Karlaen fall in battle, it would be Athenos' duty to take charge of the First Company and lead them to victory.

8th edition codex, pg 73?

Im pretty sure that guy is in the 1st Company. Now, can he be there without being a veteran? No idea.

As far as I can tell from the picture (painting) and description, Athenos is 2nd co Lt, leading the 2nd co troops. The model is Tolmeron.

As far as I can tell from the picture (painting) and description, Athenos is 2nd co Lt, leading the 2nd co troops. The model is Tolmeron.

Unfortunately both are inconclusive :P

The description says that Athenos "acts as" Warden of Blood. This could mean he assumed the role for the mission purpose. Following this lead it seems logical that he is from the 2nd Company as these are the only units present apart form the 1st Company terminators. But he can hail from the 1st Comapny as well as there are 2 Lieutenants assigned to it according to the Chapter organisation.

The way he is painted is utterly inconclusive as he has the striped pauldron designating a Lieutenant in the Codex, but no Comapany sigils. Golden helmet is equally inconclusive, as Codex says that golden helmet designates both Veterans and Command.

The way he is painted is utterly inconclusive as he has the striped pauldron designating a Lieutenant in the Codex, but no Comapany sigils. Golden helmet is equally inconclusive, as Codex says that golden helmet designates both Veterans and Command.

He is 2nd Company lieutenant.

BA captain lieutenant badge

Codex & Blood Angels company designs

Personally I find the Codex's explanation a poor attempt on behalf of GW to validate their color choice to give the models more bling.
Rank is shown on shoulders, I keep gold for guards.
Edited by Spyros