Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Woke up one day and saw the light (or was it dark?)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Nubster

Nubster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

Dabbled in Warmachine and Kings of War. Never been much into sci-fi and swore I'd never play 40K...too many rules and costs too much money.

Well...recently I just woke up one morning and was smitten. No idea what happened...now 40K  all I can think about and I'm currently trying to sell all my Hordes stuff and probably most of my KoW to fund a new 40K army...lol...go figure.

So yeah...with no explanation why...here I am and glad to be here. I'm late to the party but at least I made it. I have lots of catching up to do (if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be much obliged) and until then...I'll be reading and watching lots of videos.

And right now I think Blood Angels have my attention the most...but that could change at the drop of a hat. So many cool looking armies and awesome fluff...no idea how I'm going to be able to settle on an army and not enough money for multiple forces at the moment.

• Not 1 Step Backwards and Jolemai like this

Not 1 Step Backwards

Not 1 Step Backwards

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 579 posts

This is probably the best time to join 40k.  We just got a new (8th) edition a few months ago, with a more streamlined ruleset.  Rules aside, there's also more flavour/fun to the game now.  You're not new to tabletop, so I just wanted to point out it's still early days of a new meta, where things are still in flux.

One thing that the new edition offers for sure of interest to new (and lapsed players, who haven't played 40k for a decade or more) is much more flexible army selection options.  That gives you a greater array of choices to meet your budget/time to paint or, more importantly, play your own individual way.

Obviously, you're keeping yourself open to new ideas, which is a good idea with the above context.  I myself am working on an army that combines elements that a.) I would never have considered and b.) couldn't have gone together quite in this way in previous editions.  And it was thanks to reading one of the forums here.

Welcome to 40k.

Nubster

Nubster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

Yeah...I read/heard that some of the deserters that came over to KoW were going back because of 8th and the nicer rule set. I'm sure there's a segment of the 40K world that like the more involved rules...but I also think that a lot of folks appreciate more streamlined rules and quicker games. That's definitely one of the draws of KoW, light on rules and fast matches...as much as you can compare the two considering they are quite different games.

But on the KoW forums...there were a lot of people that dropped WHF/AoS and/or 40K for KoW prior to 8th coming out. I guess hearing this about 8th was kinda mulling around in the back of my brain festering and growing, and one day it just busted out and took over. And here I am...lol...

And on another note...I just worked out a deal for my remaining Warmachine stuff for a bunch of Blood Angels stuff...so looks like I locked myself in to a faction. Now to work out the chapter (thinking Blood Raven even though it's not considered a successor (but I'm assured I can still play them as BA's) and get things started! Super excited.

M@verik115

M@verik115

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 680 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars

Welcome to the fold. 

Firstly, dont sell your armies. You will regret it and you will want to use them some time in the future. 
For instance I have 40K, KoW, xwing, armada, 30K, FoW etc and every once in a while I will get bored with one system and move back to another. 
In the end it keeps you gaming and keeps everything fresh. 

The only time I advocate selling an army is when you know you will never play them or if you tried them out and you dont like the way they function. 
Otherwise you will lose money and more importantly all of the time you put into it. 

Having said that, 8th ed is really fresh and we are all still getting used to it. 
Some people like it, some dont, but that is easily said of any rule set or game.
Overall most people enjoy it (me included). 

My Youtube Channel 'Maverik 115'

WarriorFish

WarriorFish

++ PRÆFECT SOCIORUM ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,052 posts
  • Chapter Name: Hunter Legion

Better late than never ;) Welcome aboard, 8th is a great time to get started with a better rule set for easier games. If you're not sure on what you'd like to start on best to take is slow to get a good understanding of the various armies before taking the plunge. Sounds like you should start by visiting the Blood Angels section :tu:

gallery_30308_3239_193.pnggallery_30308_9518_1600.pnggallery_30308_3239_17729.pnggallery_30308_3239_4912.pngETL_Medal_04.gif
Painting Oaths Completed:
gallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_84.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_28.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gif
gallery_30308_3239_42.gifgallery_30308_3239_102.gifgallery_30308_3239_42.gif
In the grim predictability of online 40k, there can be only Sun Tzu quotes

SM Cataphractii | IG Commissar | CSM Daemonettes | =][= Inquisitor | AM Knight | DE Sslyth

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,910 posts
  • Chapter Name: Blood Angels

Welcome to the B&C - at this point I'd direct you over to the BA section but seeing as you've already found you way there :tu:

Nubster

Nubster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 33 posts

Welcome to the fold. 

Firstly, dont sell your armies. You will regret it and you will want to use them some time in the future. 
For instance I have 40K, KoW, xwing, armada, 30K, FoW etc and every once in a while I will get bored with one system and move back to another. 
In the end it keeps you gaming and keeps everything fresh. 

The only time I advocate selling an army is when you know you will never play them or if you tried them out and you dont like the way they function. 
Otherwise you will lose money and more importantly all of the time you put into it. 

Having said that, 8th ed is really fresh and we are all still getting used to it. 
Some people like it, some dont, but that is easily said of any rule set or game.
Overall most people enjoy it (me included). 

Yeah...I don't play Warmachine at all so those models can go. I'm not selling out of KoW completely. I'll keep one army...my main dwarf army. Going to sell the ogres since I don't play them anyways. 

Can't wait to get started. I am actually trading the Hordes stuff for a bunch of Blood Angels...get started box, tactical squad box, Predator, Dreadnought...so yeah...I'll have lots to build and paint over the next couple months and hopefully by the time I'm done the codex will be out. I'm going to also grab a Death Company Strike Force box to add to the mix.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

• M@verik115 likes this

Chaplain Dosjetka

Chaplain Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 10,464 posts

Welcome to the B&C! :tu:

gallery_45765_13882_50260.pnggallery_45765_12908_1745.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifgallery_45765_5904_4405.png

"The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us. Fear our name, for it is vengeance."

Forum Rules | Imperial Fists (& Successors) | Tyranids (& Genestealer Cults) | Liber Astartes

Imperial Fists, first and foremost. (With a side-helping of Hive Fleet Behemoth. Om nom nom.)

Logan Storm

Logan Storm

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts
  • Chapter Name: Profane Defilers

Welcome to B&C Nubster!

Amor Vincit Omnia!

About Me: Introduction

My Army: Profane Defilers , Army List

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,004 posts
  • Chapter Name: Valhallan 95th company

Grab a bolter and get stuck in!

BCC

"As inexorable as the winter cold, as ruthless as the bitter frost, as certain as death - the Valhallans fight only for victory and the Emperor. All else is a prelude." - Colonel Kasteen, 597th Company
Valhallan Ice Warriors Regiment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users