New Tyranid Player

wako1302

After being a long time Imperial Player - Sisters, Imperial Knights and Ultramarine in 8th - I thought it was time to give myself a challenge, and decided to go with the Army the as as far from an Imperial army as I could think of.

But this has raised several questions for me, which I am hoping to get replied from on this forum.

Questions

1. Do Hive Fleets work in the same manner as Marine Chapter Tactics, will one Hive Fleet be better than an other one depending on the type of list I want to build.
  2. Do Hive Fleets has colour schemes or can I just paint my Nids in any colour scheme and just say that the the X Hive Fleet
  3. Are Command Points important in a NId list - i.e. Should I Take 3 Biovores as a single unit or take 3 individual Biovores and a HQ choice and create a Spearhard attachment for an extra CP.
  4. I understand large numbers (10+) of models is good, is this always the case
  5. Is the Tyrannocyte the only Transport, or am I missing something
  6. Any 'Deep Strike' units

1. We just don't know yet how Hive Fleets will work but they will likely be colour scheme dependent. Of course, your red Tyranids might not be Behemoth but actually be an off shoot of Leviathan who ate a planet with a large amount of red plant based material...

In other words I'm fairly sure there's a way round it using the gift of count as.

2. See above ;)

But yes GW has historically tied colour schemes to Hive Fleets using their studio. Red for Behemoth, white for Leviathan etc.

3. Yes Command Points are important in 8th edition. If you build a Battalion army with 3 HQs and 3 Elites/Fast attack/Heavy support, there's literally NO REASON to not take a separate detachment and take the spares to fill it.

4. Large horde units are good. Things that die but need numbers to do damage should be 10+ strong.

5. I believe it is but your army is so fast you won't need transports for the most part.

6. Loads! And those that don't can still be fast.

1. Do Hive Fleets work in the same manner as Marine Chapter Tactics, will one Hive Fleet be better than an other one depending on the type of list I want to build.
  2. Do Hive Fleets has colour schemes or can I just paint my Nids in any colour scheme and just say that the the X Hive Fleet
  3. Are Command Points important in a NId list - i.e. Should I Take 3 Biovores as a single unit or take 3 individual Biovores and a HQ choice and create a Spearhard attachment for an extra CP.

1. They will most likely work that way. Each hive focusing on different aspects of the swarm. There will be a top tier hive for competitive play if that is what you are interested in.

2. Hive fleets do have schemes. But you can really just design your own scheme and use the counts-as rule. This is the best army to be able to use that rule imho.

3. Command Points are important. Most Tyranid lists are psychic heavy so you will want them for rerolls at the moment. However, their dex should be coming out soon. So you will have a ton of other things to purchase with your command points.

4. It is always the case when it comes to your swarm units. Your monstrous creatures no so much. But it doesn't hurt to have redundancy.

5. Seems to be. But as Captain Idaho stated. They don't really need transports

6. TONS of deep strike units giving you more options to do things with deep strike than every other army out there. Just keep in mind the deep striking limitations. I suggest checking out Deathleaper. He is a load of fun!

Deathleaper does look like fun (may get a couple).

How crippling is Instinctive Behaviour, I see that positioning Deathleaper correctly after when springing from its hiding place would mean you can target the correct unit, but after that unit is killed I guess it becomes a bit hit and miss to whether the Deathleaper attacks the most suitable second unit - But how bad is it for other units such as Termagants ?

• 2 weeks later...

Deathleaper does look like fun (may get a couple).

How crippling is Instinctive Behaviour, I see that positioning Deathleaper correctly after when springing from its hiding place would mean you can target the correct unit, but after that unit is killed I guess it becomes a bit hit and miss to whether the Deathleaper attacks the most suitable second unit - But how bad is it for other units such as Termagants ?

Deathleaper is much like any other special character, there's only one Azrael, there's only one Deathleaper. There are Lictors though that are the basic version of Deathleaper, so you could try and back him up with one [two, or more] of them if you wanted.

I think Instictive Behaviour is less a concern rather than the benefits of Synapse. Having Synapse makes your units immune to morale. Suffering morale checks in 8th is a sure fire way to lose units, so with Tyranids having away to avoid that, means you will want Synapse Creatures and should potentially have enough to ensure IB isn't too bad. So long as your small/dumb gribblies are backed up by smarter Synapse Creatures you'll be OK. Fundamentally IB means you just shoot/attack only the nearest unit, compared to IB in 7th that's no hardship whatsoever.

After being a long time Imperial Player - Sisters, Imperial Knights and Ultramarine in 8th - I thought it was time to give myself a challenge, and decided to go with the Army the as as far from an Imperial army as I could think of.

But this has raised several questions for me, which I am hoping to get replied from on this forum.

Questions

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5. Yes
  6. Yes

:happy.:

Codex is coming out shortly, best wait for that before deciding, but I'd pick up one of the old start collecting boxes asap if you can find one before they go away. That, with one of the new ones is a solid start to the army.

If you dont like the broodlord, you can move his claws to the lower arms and add scything talons to the upper sockets and use him as Deathleaper. Adding the normal genestealer tentacle head will help with this.