8th Edition Grey Knights.

Dremiah

How are you guys finding the codex compared to some of the new, rather powerful books (namely Guard, Eldar)? I'm already getting a little disillusioned with the SM codex now that we're seeing more of what codexes will offer, but I'm wondering if GK's book is still holding up? I was eyeing my SW:A GK team the other day and have been thinking about giving them some friends...

Not looking forward to facing the eldar. But that's been delayed due to parenthood for him (Gz!).

Next new dex I'm about to face will be nids, and thier or order is coming up.

Hopefully that's gives the nids a better match up with us, as I've only lost once to them and by the skin of my teeth.

Eldar. Not going to enjoy them at all i think.

So are the Eldar stronger than us in the Psychic phase, or is it an even wash?

I know our Voldus has better DtW attempts than even Eldrad, so that's something. Their Wraithseer in the HQ slot also seems like they could go toe to toe with the GKs NDKGM. Should be a good brawl!

so I ran what I think is a pretty strong list last night against Ad Mech (not sure what the verdict is on how strong they are). he had a Knight, couple of Onagers, 2 x infiltrators, 2 x sniper squads, 2 x vanguard squads, 2 x Kastelans w datasmith and Cawl. it was over at the end of turn 3, I dominated on points and had plenty left and he was all but tabled.

my thinking is as I mentioned before that GK are strong in a casual gaming environment, but cant cut it against T1 tournament armies.

so I ran what I think is a pretty strong list last night against Ad Mech (not sure what the verdict is on how strong they are). he had a Knight, couple of Onagers, 2 x infiltrators, 2 x sniper squads, 2 x vanguard squads, 2 x Kastelans w datasmith and Cawl. it was over at the end of turn 3, I dominated on points and had plenty left and he was all but tabled.

my thinking is as I mentioned before that GK are strong in a casual gaming environment, but cant cut it against T1 tournament armies.

Ad Mech are considered really bad, except their monobuild list that is fairly good.

Did you go first, and did you get any first turn charges - these two points are how you win with GK currently. If you don't get both of these, especially if you have models left out in the open after a failed charge, you will get shot off the board.

Well from what I heard, there was only one GK army at the GW GT for heat 1 - out of 80+ players. And that GK army lost one of his games to a SW army from a player that came ~ 73ish in the final ranking. But to be fair there was basically no restrictions to the tournament other than no more than 3 detachments. So the playing field was basically a cheese factory. lol

I think the Admech list you clocked is really not that casual. With Cawl and wrath of mars runnin* on double shooting Kastelans, that’s no joke. Onagers are really good with Neutron lasers too. If you are tabling this in three turns, that is darn impressive in my opinion.

AdMech lists usually use 4-5 Kastelans and 3-4 Onagers with Neutron\Icarus combo, some Transuranic Rangers for screening. And Knights are much less scary in this edition. No buffs from characters and 5++ only from shooting. Couple of GMNDKs or GMNDK and a Paladin Squad with Hammerhand can reliably deal with one (especially Crusader). 

yeah that's about it, Dreadknight and 5 man paladin squad mad T1 charges on the knight. didn't kill it T1 but crippled it,i actually had Hammerhand on the GMDK so was wounding the knight on 2's (trollface) and then when he fell back and used the strat to work at full profile my GMDK with Sanctuary tanked everything and then did the same when he got charged too.

agreed, more Kastelan, more Onagers required. but that's not for this forum.

Edited by swordofmandulis

Thought I'd ask here, since it's sort of related. Have PAGK been repackaged to include 32mm bases now?

EDIT: Nvm. Can confirm they have been. Awesome.

Edited by Kruso

I think Grey Knights are still very strong. They are going to suffer a little against some of the biggest cheese. But they are at least T2 with some of the cheese they can bring to the table bordering on T1 depending on how many DKs you bring to the table.

Casually I think that Grey Knights are really powerful. Which is kind of an issue. Because they don't appear to have an easy mode from what I've seen. They are full tilt even with basic units. The only way I see them losing casual games is bad rolling.

Thought I'd ask here, since it's sort of related. Have PAGK been repackaged to include 32mm bases now?

What were they on before?

Let me clarify, I bought some a couple of weeks back and they're on the same bases they've always been

Edited by Godeskian

Let me clarify, I bought some a couple of weeks back and they're on the same bases they've always been

They were 25mm like all marines previously. GW changed other marines to 32mm bases in 7th edition I think. Mine are bought used so are all on 25mm but according to GW webstore they now come with 32mm bases. Guess I'll change them because bigger ones look better anyway.

As for state of the Grey Knights, they are indeed tier B in terms of competitive gaming, but they have potential. I just ran some in a local tournament last weekend and was certainly impressed by GMNDK (or two actually). It took a lot of firepower to remove them and they did some real work. Mind bullets help, but are really situational. Purge soul against Conscripts without LD buff is murder, Vortex on top of three Stormsurges, Shadowsun, Ethereal and Darkstrider was glorious.

On next tournament I'm going to run 3 GMNDK along some Guard. I'm concerned I'm affected by diminishing returns with 3, since I can't buff all of their invulnerable saves.

Edited by Kruso

They were 25mm like all marines previously. GW changed other marines to 32mm bases in 7th edition I think. Mine are bought used so are all on 25mm but according to GW webstore they now come with 32mm bases. Guess I'll change them because bigger ones look better anyway.

As for state of the Grey Knights, they are indeed tier B in terms of competitive gaming, but they have potential. I just ran some in a local tournament last weekend and was certainly impressed by GMNDK (or two actually). It took a lot of firepower to remove them and they did some real work. Mind bullets help, but are really situational. Purge soul against Conscripts without LD buff is murder, Vortex on top of three Stormsurges, Shadowsun, Ethereal and Darkstrider was glorious.

On next tournament I'm going to run 3 GMNDK along some Guard. I'm concerned I'm affected by diminishing returns with 3, since I can't buff all of their invulnerable saves.

You've picked the best unit we have access to. How many other units of ours can perform that well for sub-275 points? Nothing. It's also another case of massive internal overlap, why would you pick a NDK when you can just pick a GMNDK that's far better?

3 GMNDK + guard is a tourny list that's already going well. However, that isn't a "GK" tourny list, is it. That would be like calling a brimstone + mort a deathguard list.

Edited by Capt. Mytre

Be careful, calling our codex anything other than utterly offensive garbage goes against the groupthink ;)

Lol. Yes in this forum GK are only considered level ‘B’ in an alphabet comprised only of ‘A’ and ‘B’.

Seriously the very same armies that make people feel GK are competitively bad are the same ones that give everyone problems. Horde spam is bad for everyone, the goofiness of Forgeworld malefic chaos lords is a massive issue for a lot of armies.

I remember when I felt sheepish about using my Magnus in my Thousand Sons, now I won’t use him... things change. It’s still pretty early.

What do you think is the optimal number of GMNDK? I feel kinda bad for playing more than 2 tbh.

My list atm is:

Gmndk

Draigo

4 paladins

1 apo with hammer

5 termy

5 pakg + razorback

5 pakg

Storm laser melta

Storm laser melta

I know it's not optimized but I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Probbly would change the paladins and apo for a second gm if I was to make it a bit more competitive, but I fking love paladins and termies. I mean isn't this the reason we love gk?

I haven’t retired my GK. I retired my Primaris.

I really like the primaris tactical Marines (...intercessors? Interceptors are the gravy armored guys with jumpframes?) And the reivers, but not so much the rules. If I could I'd make a space marine army using the Primaris models as regular tac squads.

You've picked the best unit we have access to. How many other units of ours can perform that well for sub-275 points? Nothing. It's also another case of massive internal overlap, why would you pick a NDK when you can just pick a GMNDK that's far better?

3 GMNDK + guard is a tourny list that's already going well. However, that isn't a "GK" tourny list, is it. That would be like calling a brimstone + mort a deathguard list.

I hope I never implied I was running a GK list. It was Imperial soup as per the trend. 

I had some paladins and apothecaries on top of GMNDKs. And a Stormraven too. GK were the punch of the list along with some Primaris Psykers delivered in a Valkyrie.