Chapter Approved and Vows?

Marshal Arthur

What are the odds some form of Templar Vows might be added in Chapter Approved? I feel like it’d be a great way to inject some flavor back in the Templars without rewriting the codex, and if they do add vows what do you think they’ll look like? This may be wishful thinking but GW seems more willing to listen to input so who knows.

Since the announcement of Chapter Approved the idea of Vows being introduced there have been my last hope! You can easily introduce them as 12" auras for the Emperor's Champion, each costing a certain ammount of points. As to what I'd like to see? Something like

Accept Any Challenge- +1A

Uphold the Honor- Cannot fall back, cannot take morale casualties if you are in combat

Suffer not the Unclean to live- +1 To Wound

If it doesnt happen then its too bad, at least I'll be able to convert a Repulsor into a Land Raider variant or main tank.

Yeah I figure it’s unlikely but nothing ventured nothing gained. I think a vow as an aura ability would be great and encourage us to get our HQs right in the thick of things with the right buffs whereas now I find myself keeping my marshal in the back row to buff a gun line. I certainly have no problem using a gun line but more CC options would do a lot to give us a more flavorful feel. While it’s a long shot I feel like a concerted effort to suggest this to GWs might sway some of them. Or it could accomplish nothing, but if it’s approached in a respectful manner (that doesn’t sound like space marine players whining about not being the best at everything) it at least won’t do any harm.

Space Marines are just the best in shooting. For close combat its very different. I hope GW see that and maybe change some things. Not certainly with vows (Unfortunately) but maybe a small point reduction for our neophytes and maybe a special rule for our crusaders - when there 10 or more you get +1 attack. Maybe some thing like a stratagem, it could be +1 to hit rolls for one unit or a aura for a character. And the last possibility could be a additional rule extension for our chapter tactic (like in the first round of a close combat you get +1 to hit or something like that.)

I would love to see it, although I'm not holding my breath. Here is how I would break them down if I were in charge:

Black Templar Vows as strategems:

Accept Any Challenge No Matter the Odds, 1 cp:

+1 attack on the charge, must charge the nearest unit and cannot use a command reroll strategem to reroll a charging dice (although Black Templars Chapter Tactics may still be used) for a unit with Black Templars Chapter Tactics

Uphold the Honor of the Emperor, 1 cp: Use at the beginning of the turn, gives +1 armor save for units with Black Templars chapter tactics until the end of the turn. Does not stack with cover bonuses.

Destroy the Witch, 1 cp: +2 to charge distance and rolls of 6 to wound deal mortal wounds in addition to any other damage vs <psyker> units for the rest of the turn for any Black Templars unit.

Suffer not the Unclean to Live, 1 cp: +1 str until the end of the turn vs anything that doesn't have the <unaligned> keyword, for units with Black Templars Chapter Tactics

Righteous Indignation, 2 CP: After an unengaged Black Templars Infantry unit loses a model during the shooting or psychic phase, you may immediately move d6 inches toward the nearest enemy unit. If they are within 1 inch of an enemy unit after they move, treat them as charging for all rules purposes.

Eternal Crusade 3cp: Once per game, friendly Black Templars Chapter Tactics units within 6 inches of your warlord may charge after advancing.

Edited by Ebon Hand

As I have said in the other thread : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/340620-hopes-on-chapter-approved/ , I don't see Marines (let alone a specific subfaction like Templars) getting additional rules, much as I'd like to. Some factions still do not have a codex and have had no model updates for some years, so it would be a bit of a slap in the face to give marines new toys.

My bet is on general rule updates, new missions, new stratagem accessible to all factions and such.

That's a very good point about factions still lacking codexes. While I agree and want to avoid the kind of rules bloat and need for supplements from last edition I feel like one of the major goals of 8th ed was to keep the game fluid. To be honest I'm shocked they haven't introduced something like the AoS app to keep things open for changes. Then again at the same time it shocks me they don't use the AoS app to take advantage of the free rule sheets to tweak unit rules regularly.

I will say I don't want this to sound like complaining. I appreciate and enjoy 8th edition and if no such changes come I'll still love playing Black Templars. That said I just wanted to present some thoughts and hopes on possible changes to improve the Templars. Whatever happens zeal is its own reward.

Are we seriously going to go down this road again:dry.:

In regard to Vows, two of our HQ's largely do have the equivalent, albeit an aura rather than army-wide.  Adding one to the EC would be dandy, but his price tag makes him practically an auto-include right now.  If you gave him an aura as well, that price would (justifiably) increase to compensate.

I agree we could use a better buff against psykers.  As to what form that would/should take, beats me. 

A decrease in the price of a Neophyte would justify the larger squads, but it would have to be a decrease of at least 3 points per Neophyte to make any significant impact on list building, and an 8 point Neophyte would be pretty unreasonable.  I'd rather we had some sort of buff/compensation for taking squads in large sizes, like the gimmick Orks get.

However, that's all just off the cuff wish listing, and none of those points are necessities to make Templars a 'viable' army, just something that would be nice.  There's no reason, purpose, or use to making it into demands or turn things into yet another 'GW is mean to us and we deserve ice cream' thread.

Edited by Firepower

I mean if we got anything I'd like something simple added to our tactic. Maybe a conditional +1 attack such as "+1 Attack for Squads within 6" of Black Templar Character" or "+1 attack in the fight phase if a squad contains models with a different save". Or just "+1 LD if the Squad is in Close combat", through I'd also be happy with roll two dice for advancing and choose the highest (just adding two or three to result whenever we advance). But the biggest thing I want and hope for, is a Black Templar Crusader Bike Squads. Really if we got that I would be content with our army. 

The most I expect is to see Neophytes to be 10 maybe 9 points if we get looked at all.