Death Guard Helbrute tactics and tips

Bat33.1

As somebody was asking about the Death Guard Helbrute and it's uses I thought it might be useful to have a thread so people can post about their experiences of the Helbrute for 8th edition DG.

So any pointers to build, guide as to the best tactics for the brute or general usefulness here is the place to post, thanks...

I like power scourge and las cannon build. Gives me some AT along with the ability to wipe up any infantry sent in to tie up the shooting or if need be I can move it into CC and let it do some damage with the scourge.

I'm not a fan of dreads being all CC or all shooty but that's just my personal preference. The more off balance you make things for your opponent the better off you will be. Having a mix of CC/shooty makes them have to choose how to handle the unit.

I'm not a fan of dreads being all CC or all shooty but that's just my personal preference. The more off balance you make things for your opponent the better off you will be. Having a mix of CC/shooty makes them have to choose how to handle the unit.

So..how would you use them? What weapon combo's

Edited by Kimbo

Missle launcher/ lascannon. Good, bad? What do you think

Alright on paper but mine never did any great damage compared to my Discopred etc. Also since almost every other vehicle in our army will have a 5++/5+++ the Helbrute will be the first thing to be targeted since it is easier to make the damage stick to it. So if you run a Helbrute with any loadout I would advice to always take two so that at least one may live to see the second turn.

So..how would you use them? What weapon combo's

Power scourge and las cannon. You get good  enough melee with the scourge and great anti tank with the las.

If I run Dreads I use:

1 x Helbrute - Missile / Lascannon

1 x Helbrute - Scourge / Heavy Bolter

1 x Contemptor - Chain Fist & soul burner / Assult cannon.

Now with DG that they ignore move and -1 to hit they work even better. As you can advance them in a bubble around a Daemon Prince for re-rolls of 1's, a physic ability/attack and some extra close combat hitting. 

I also like to add in a Decimator with twin soul burners for good measure!.

For anti tank purpose..what is our best option as DG? Crawler? Las/missle Brute? Pred?

I'd have to say the Brute if it was used as a sole anti tank option probably whilst it does have less wounds than a predator ( though it is cheaper) the fact it can benefit from the legion trait and have use the fire frenzy trait to fire twice in a turn for 1 CP does make it slightly better at anti tank Edited by Plaguecaster

Depending on your army build a DG Leviathan or Contemptor would make a great distraction Carnefex to allow the rest of the army to get where it needs to go. Leviathan is quite a points investment though in an army where it's easy to eat points I need to do some math and see what points I can put into it.

For anti tank purpose..what is our best option as DG? Crawler? Las/missle Brute? Pred?

I'd have to say the Brute if it was used as a sole anti tank option probably whilst it does have less wounds than a predator ( though it is cheaper) the fact it can benefit from the legion trait and have use the fire frenzy trait to fire twice in a turn for 1 CP does make it slightly better at anti tank

I mean, you can't move and you have to target the closest enemy unit. Hardly the most ideal scenario for killing the target you want. Dreads are fine on the offence, but they die like chumps. Probably not the best anti tank option because of that

I'd have to say the Brute if it was used as a sole anti tank option probably whilst it does have less wounds than a predator ( though it is cheaper) the fact it can benefit from the legion trait and have use the fire frenzy trait to fire twice in a turn for 1 CP does make it slightly better at anti tank
I mean, you can't move and you have to target the closest enemy unit. Hardly the most ideal scenario for killing the target you want. Dreads are fine on the offence, but they die like chumps. Probably not the best anti tank option because of that

Ok...im torn between buying crawlers brutes or something els for my backfield anti tank purpose...everything els is set.

So...do you think the Brute is a good option? Or just "the best" option

The best ranged anti tank I think is the missile & lascannon helbrute @ 147 points because:

1 - it can move without penalty to shoot.

2 - Use the stratagem to shoot twice

3 - BS doesn't degrade 

4 - crazed rule give you a small chance of a bit more output. 

The new Hauler is a good option for staying power (invol + DR) but you have to get closer as the melta is have the range of the Lascannon and you can't shoot twice.

The shooting twice Stratagem is really really bad if you aim to use it as long range weapon platform tho since it makes you shoot at the closest visible target. Aka Lascannons into Cultists/Conscripts/Drones/Ork Boyz .... yay. ^^

The best ranged anti tank I think is the missile & lascannon helbrute @ 147 points because:

1 - it can move without penalty to shoot.

2 - Use the stratagem to shoot twice

3 - BS doesn't degrade

4 - crazed rule give you a small chance of a bit more output.

The new Hauler is a good option for staying power (invol + DR) but you have to get closer as the melta is have the range of the Lascannon and you can't shoot twice.

I like it to...The only thing my list lack is tank killers..would you use it in a more competitive scene?

The problem of the hellbrute in death guard is that it's glass, +3 armour safe and T7 makes him fall really quick.

The crawler will shot 5-6 turns because it's really durable, the hellbrute 1-2 turn 

^This! The Fire Frenzy stratagem is really gimmicky since you will want to shoot at tanks with it but those don't stand on the frontlines. For a Dakkabrute with Heavy Bolter and ML or Fist w/ Combi-Bolter it is easier to get value out of the stratagem.

If I run a single Helbrute I am taking it with the expectation of it just being a bulletmagnet and dying Turn 1/2. You need to run at least two if you want them to see Turn 2+.

The problem of the hellbrute in death guard is that it's glass, +3 armour safe and T7 makes him fall really quick.

The crawler will shot 5-6 turns because it's really durable, the hellbrute 1-2 turn

I agree..might give for 2x crawlers instead!!