Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1500pt List (Catachan)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

patchestheclown

patchestheclown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

Hey all, so I've loved guard forever (first introduction to 40k was a box of catachan jungle fighters back in 1999) however I just started collecting models for an army in the last few months of 7th edition. It turned out to be a great time to start collecting models and then with the sneak peeks of the codex, I got so excited that my catachans would actually have stuff to make them more awesome!

So far I've gotten 2 defense forces and 2 basilisks (plus some older models). I have every model (except the psyker) in this list WYSIWG.

Battalion - (Catachan)

Commander - Bolter & Chainsword, Aquila

Commander - Boter & Power Sword, (possibly catachan relic)

3x Infantry Squads - vox, autocannon, sarge has bolter

Heavy Weapons Squad - 3x mortars

Battalion - (Catachan)

Commander - Bolter & Power Fist

Primaris Psyker - Psychic Barrier & Nightshroud

Infantry Squad - vox, autocannon, sarge has bolter

2x Infantry Squad - autocannon, sarge has bolter  (no vox's here for points reasons)

Veterans - 6 shotguns, 3 meltas, sarge has bolt pistol

Chimera - Heavy Flamer, Multi-laser (veterans go in here)

Spearhead - (Catachan)

Tank Commander - Punisher, triple heavy flamers

2x Basilisks - heavy bolter

2x Leman Russ - battle cannon, triple heavy bolters

1500pts exactly, 10CP total

Probably not the most competitive list but should be a blast to play with friends. Any suggestions?

Edited by patchestheclown, 18 October 2017 - 05:57 PM.

BurntheHeretic

BurntheHeretic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts

Looks like a good start, with a lot of heavy firepower!

Are you still able to switch weapons on your vehicles? The multilaser is rather weak this edition, you may want to switch it with a heavy bolter (slightly cheaper with the same damage output, buys you an additional storm bolter) or a second heavy flamer.

Also, I would make one of your Battle Cannon Russes a Tank Commander instead of the Punisher, because the heavy flamers don´t benefit from the BS3+ of the Tank Commander.

As to the use of heavy flamers with a Leman Russ, I am doubtful about their effectiveness. I love the idea of a Flamer Russ. But the main gun can only fire twice if the Russ moves half speed or less, whilst Heavy Flamers need to get close to the enemy fast. 

You have three commanders for 6 infantry squads. Each commander should be able to remain within 6´´ of two infantry squads. So the vox may not be all that necessary. Removing the vox casters would give you the points to wield a platoon commander, which could be a good addon for the veteran squad.

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,224 posts

Good points from Burntheheretic above!

I want to also echo the heavy flamers. you have heavy flamers on battlecannon russes. They do not want to get close. Heavy bolters would be better. 

Changing to heavy bolters would give you many points. removing the voxs as well would give you enough points to get another primaris psyker. They are great! I run 3 at 1500 points, with an astropath. Cheap psykers is something guard do well.

patchestheclown

patchestheclown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

Thanks for the feedback, 

I would love to give the chimera double heavy flamers just gotta come up with the points.

I keep going back and forth with the vox's part of me loves em the other part of me thinks they are a waste. In a few games I've played they have done absolutely nothing except in turn 5 when in a mad dash for objectives one squad who rolled 6" for advancing the turn before was out of range of orders, except for the vox caster!! But overall they probably aren't worth it.

Tank Commander, I originally had him with a main battle cannon to hang back with his buddy to always have someone to give orders to but now with the codex tank commanders can order themselves and in my mind nothing says catachan like leading from the front, hence the punisher and triple flamers, and 3+ with 20 shots is tasty. I'll play test it a bit but I know the smarter option is probably the battle cannon. OR I could give him a demolisher cannon for the ultimate distraction carnifex XD

I'll try dropping the vox's and take a platoon commander for the vets and try to scrape up the points for another heavy flamer for the chimera

thanks again for all the feedback!

BurntheHeretic

BurntheHeretic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts

On the Tank Commander, I feel you. It might not be the most points effective, but a triple Heavy Flamer Russ leading the assault is menacing! You could always make the triple H.B. Russ your tank commander, effectively switching 2 Russes, and ensuring the BS 3+ of the tank commander doesn't go to waste. For a mere 2 points, a storm bolter may also be a good addition to the close assault LR. 

But then, Hellhounds basically have triple heavy flamers, with better range, so if you are up to roasting your enemies you may want to include one as you expand your list! 

Edited by BurntheHeretic, 18 October 2017 - 06:49 PM.

patchestheclown

patchestheclown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

Alright, revamped the list a bit. Finishing up painting 15 guys and 2 tanks and then I gotta base em all but then ill have a fully painted army!! (first time that's ever happened lol) I'm not sure if battlescribe changed some of the points but even getting rid of the voxs per suggestions didnt save me as many points as I thought... thanks for all the advice, excited to get on the board and play some of my friends. Any suggestions on what to get next to get it up to 2000 points?

Battalion Detachment <Catachan>

HQ

- Company Commander, bolter, chainsword Aquila (Warlord)

- Company Commander, bolter, chainsword

Troops

- Infantry Squad, autocannon, sarge with bolter

Elites

- Veteran Squad, 3x melta, 6x shotguns, sarge with bolt pitsol

Dedicated Transport

- Chimera, Heavy Bolter & Heavy Flamer

Battalion Detachment <Catachan>

HQ

- Company Commander, Power Fist, shotgun

- Primaris Psyker (Nightshade & Psychic Barrier)

Troops

Heavy Support
- Heavy Weapons Team, 3x mortars

Spearhead Detachment <Catachan>
HQ
- Tank Commander, Punisher, 3x Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support
- Basilisk, heavy bolter
- Basilisk, heavy bolter
- Leman Russ Battle Tank, battle cannon, 3x Heavy Bolter
- Leman Russ Battle Tank, battle cannon, 3x Heavy Bolter

10CP, 1500 points

vilainlivesmatter

vilainlivesmatter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 24 posts
If I could make one change it would be to drop the 3heavy flamers for a Lacannon and plasma sponsons.

patchestheclown

patchestheclown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

really why? Since the commander is a punisher I'm gonna want to be within 24" so that means moving meaning these sponsons will be hitting on 4's on the move. Would spending the points for las/plasma be worth it? I could always make one of the basic leman russes the commander with this set up i guess

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,224 posts

Personally I find if my battlecannon russes are within heavy flamer range, i have done something VERY wrong. you have infantry to screen so they don't get charged. I would change them all to heavy bolters (saving you 9 points a flamer, x9 = 49 points) Maybe for another infantry squad, another psyker, maybe more mortars? options are endless!

patchestheclown

patchestheclown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 160 posts

Only the Tank Commander has triple heavy flamers to combo with the punisher cannon (and cause its badass!), the other 2 russes with battle cannons have triple heavy bolters

Altasmurf

Altasmurf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 313 posts
While I agree that the heavy flamers on the punisher is probably not the most efficient it is awesome and very catachan like. Guard are so cheap and efficient that you can take fun options like that. As long as your core is solid, which it is, you can take some more fun type units. Also with the proliferation of -1 to hit appearing out there I feel autohitting is going to become more useful.