Devastation of Baal - Guy Haley - Discussion/Spoilers

Sun Reaver

Did anyone notice that there is a free extract available on Black Library’s website for Guy Haley’s upcoming novel, Devastation of Baal? I believe the first two chapters of the novel were shared. I have detailed them below. 

Chapter 1 : The Red Mist

There is a water seller on Baal Secundus by the name of Uigui. He lives with his son and his mother in law. He hates them both. His son attempted to join the Blood Angels but failed. He came back with a nasty scar on his head and he stutters a lot. His mother in law his cancer ridden and likes to read Tarot Cards. Uigui thinks she is a witch and low key fears her. He is upset because he wants to make it to the market on time so that they can get a good spot to sell the recycled water. However, the Red Mist, a vapor laden with sand particles, is obstructing sight and discouraging people from attending the market. When they arrive to the market, they hear the sounds of a void ship. A Chaplain approaches them and asks them for directions as he has come to pay respects to the statue of Sangunius. Uigui and his family wonder why the marine doesn’t know in the first place but are happy that the Chaplain has left. As the Red Mist parts slowly, they witness hundreds of marine coming, some with white helms and armor trimming (Carmine Blades?) and other with half black and bloody red armor (Angels Sanguine?). The witch mother in law starts laughing and Uigui asks why. She says, ‘They are not coming here to worship, you foolish man, they have come here to die.’

Chapter 2: The Coming Shadow

Someone muses how humanity lived in the area known as the Red Scar. Despite the radiation, the worlds teamed with life because they were rich in resources. At one point there were billions of humans in the Red Scar region. That all changed when the Tryanids came. The Tyrannic wars have been raged for close to half a millennium but hundreds of worlds have been consumed. The Imperium initially believed that the hive mind as non-sentient. They said it was just primal urges and instinct. ‘They were wrong. The hive mind knew.’ Trillions of Tyranids are coming because they want vengeance against the Blood Angels. They have tasted their DNA and seen the potential for new and terrible beasts. They are coming.

Commander Dante is walking the walls of the Arx Murus, it encircles the Arx Angelicum, the chapter fortress monetary. Originally it was a lone volcano, but now it has been transformed to house the Blood Angels. There is mention of the Heavenword Redoubt, the fortress moneastery’s keep, the Citadel Reclusiam, the Tower of Amareo, the Dome of Angels and the Sanguis Copusculum where Corbulo and his priests toil. Furthermore, the Verdis Elysia, the farms where the chapter grows its food, houses park-lands which preserve the remains Primus and Secundus’ ecosystems. The sky is littered with ships of successors and the monastery is full with previous sections of the fortress monastery being unearthed and manned for the first time in ages. In fact, there are so many marines there, there isn’t enough space so barrack houses are erected in the fields as well. Seeing all the Chapters there is awe inspiring but Dante is not happy. Walls and further defenses are continuously being built and reinforced. As Dante continues around the wall, every half mile he encounters a member of the Sanguinary Guard. Their masks displayed the features of the wearer, but Dante’s displays the image of his father.

As night falls, Mephiston shows up and Dante thinks of how Mephiston appearance is extremely similar to his dead fathers'. He is accompanied by Jered Leeter who is the Master of Astropaths. Strangely, he can still see and retains full function of all his senses. He is also an amazing astropath. As Mephiston speaks, Dante notes how his voice sounds stronger in the night; almost as if he loathed the day. A total of 27 chapters have sent aid to Baal with more who have promised help. He notes some chapters that showed up weren’t even on the official list of successor chapters. There are 15,000 marines in system right now with 10,000 more on the way. Mephiston notes that Dante has been more vigorous over the past few weeks and Arafeo, his previously equerry is mentioned. Dante asks of Cadia and Mephiston tells him it doesn’t look good. 6 different battle-groups are currently scouring the near-most worlds so that they Tyranids find nothing to fuel their advance. Leeter implicitly compares Dante to Sanguinius as he now has a legion under his command. Dante and Mephiston look onto the preparations as Dante mentions he now feels closer to his Primarch now than he has ever before. There they stand, preparing against the darkness. 

Overall I think it looks great and I can not wait for the book to arrive next month! 

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Sounds interesting!

I wonder how much of the events will impact our codex too? Guy Haley quickly jumped up to my favourite author of the BA (though I personally also like David Annandale and would like to see ADB write one as he's always seemed to get the soul of the BA)

Man I really hope this is going to salvage the whole baal fluff, because the short version of it was so bad for both tyranids and BAs, it is hard to even describe. For tyranid players it was 20+years of hype that ends in a retcon and being killed off screen. Even for a NPC race it was a bit too much.  But again I hope the book is good.

The number of marine is certainly interesting, as is the prospect of non-recognised successors coming to their aid.

This is the part I enjoy the most. It allows us, as players, to have our own custom Chapters present in the defense of Baal. I can't wait to add it to my DIY eventually. 

The number of marine is certainly interesting, as is the prospect of non-recognised successors coming to their aid.

This is the part I enjoy the most. It allows us, as players, to have our own custom Chapters present in the defense of Baal. I can't wait to add it to my DIY eventually.

Yep, should do. Can't see them doing a roll call of all 27.

Yeah and getting wiped...or almost so your chapter would've to be build up from ground afterwards again. :P

That's honestly one of the scenarios where I wouldn't like my custom chapter to be seen. Defending Baal with all other BA successor chapters is awesome but getting almost wiped is not. xD

Yeah and getting wiped...or almost so your chapter would've to be build up from ground afterwards again. :tongue.:

That's honestly one of the scenarios where I wouldn't like my custom chapter to be seen. Defending Baal with all other BA successor chapters is awesome but getting almost wiped is not. xD

Valid point, however your chapter wouldn't commit its entire resources if you didn't want them too. Chapters like the Flesh Tearers do because they see this as their redemption but that doesn't mean they all do. You could send half, or even 2 companies of marines. Yes, that is still a chunk, but still enough to recover from. 

I plan on sending in half from my chapter because I am a wannabe Blood Angel haha. 

Sounds exciting! I'm also a fan of so many successors being in one place. I'd like to see a force of Deathwatch show up that is comprised entirely of BA and BA successor marines. It may be a little unprecedented, but if there was ever an occasion this would be it.

Yeah and getting wiped...or almost so your chapter would've to be build up from ground afterwards again. :tongue.:

Valid point, however your chapter wouldn't commit its entire resources if you didn't want them too. Chapters like the Flesh Tearers do because they see this as their redemption but that doesn't mean they all do. You could send half, or even 2 companies of marines. Yes, that is still a chunk, but still enough to recover from. 

I plan on sending in half from my chapter because I am a wannabe Blood Angel haha. 

Well "my" Chapter are the Knights of Blood and I know they've been there. Probably in full strength even (which is definitely not full chapter strength) and I'm prepared to build them up as full Primaris chapter once we get proper melee Primaris.

Basically a Primaris Chapter getting the color scheme and name of them to honour their selfless aid despite being declared renegades. ^^

But valid point, yeah.

Missed where you said this was your synopsis, and was really confused on why a writer used the phrase “low key.”

Still, super pumped.

Exactly the same from me... I thought "Huh BL has gotten casual in it's synopsis writing...!" :laugh.:

Missed where you said this was your synopsis, and was really confused on why a writer used the phrase “low key.”

Still, super pumped.

Still, super pumped.

Exactly the same from me... I thought "Huh BL has gotten casual in it's synopsis writing...!" :laugh.:

Ahaha, I am sorry. I got carried away writing it and tried to be as concise as possible. 

Can't wait for Seth and Dante to 'bro' it out and rip some Tyranids apart! Also, it will be interesting to note which 5 Chapter Masters die. 

Anyone feel like this is just setting up the BA to be forced to accept Primaris? They did it with SWs in Wrath of Magnus and Cadia. They kill off a huge portion of the chapters leaving them understrength, then Primaris swoop in to fill the void.

Not hating on Primaris but it just feel forced and unnatural. I do hate that this is a major book for BA and there is no limited edition for such a monumental point for BAs.

I don't feel like it's setting BA up for Primaris but it certainly is the perfect opportunity for it. I mean the Devastation of Baal was something we've seen coming for a long time now. Way before Primaris were a thing.

Still a perfect set up and primaris marines have probably been in the works for a long time now too.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this tidbit in the Tyranid codex today in regards to the Knights of Blood: 

"Only the sacrifice of the Knights of Blood, an excommunicated successor Chapter who had nonetheless been accepted as allies by Chapter Master Dante, allowed the survivors to board their vessels and escape, as Baal Prime was overwhelmed by warp-spawned monstrosities. As Seth’s forces retreated, they caught one last glimpse of the Knights of Blood, hurling themselves into the thick of close combat with mindless ferocity, fully enveloped by the madness of the Black Rage."