A few months in; what's working for you?

Iron Father Ferrum

It's been pretty quiet around here lately, and I'm assuming that's because my fellow Iron Captains are out purging xenos and heretics!  So what has everyone been running?  What tactics, combos, units, and/or army builds have been working for you?

I've only played three games, but so far I'm a fan of my Venerable Dreadnoughts.  The double-FNP gives them extra durability that always confounds my opponent (my one Tau opponent literally dropped f-bombs when I was saving wounds), and a pair of Thunderfire Cannons have probably sterling service in clearing away chaff units and objective holders like Fire Warriors and Tactical Marines.  I've encountered lots of deep strikers though, so deploying so as to prevent a back-field drop seem very important to me, which is another reason why I like both my Hunter and the TFCs: they have 60" range and the TFCs don't need LOS, so I can stick them near enough to the table edge to close down landing zones without gimping their ability to reach across the table.

I've been spreading my games out across my armies, so I've not got that much under under my belt but I've found success running similar lists to before. Dreads - naturally - are serving well though I'm focusing on combat as their preferred place (the -1 BS still makes me sad). That does mean the Venerable is really nice, so I don't mind paying for its bonuses. Will get round to assembling my second eventually...

Had fun with a Cataphracti Captain, giving him the extra durability trait and sending him off to trouble shoot. He carved his way through a TDA Assault Squad single handedly last game, in just a couple of turns :smile.: I'm also finding deep striking a common occurrence, so having some Tacs about is helping there. Those odd 6s make them that much of a pain to deal with. My CCW Scouts are still doing well, they added a Culexus to their tally so continue to be a source of fear for my opponents :laugh.: Techmarine is nice too, capable as well as the obvious repairs :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been stewing over this since the Codex came out. I will finally get a game with them this weekend. However I have an idea for play and feels fluffy...

Battalion and Vanguard detachments. 7CP

Chaplain Dread with 2x Heavy Flamers

Captain with TH/SS

Librarian with Force Stave

Techmarine with Power Axe/Servo Arm

3x10 man Tactical Squads

3x1 Rhinos

2x1 Chapter Ancient

2x1 Apothecary

1x5 Vet Squad with 4xplasmaguns and chainswords and TH/pistol Sgt

1x5 Vet Squad with 4xmeltsguns and chainswords and TH/pistol Sgt

2x1 Drop Pod

Pretty Self Explanatory, Warlord chosen as needed

Vets and characters all ride in Drop Pods, Captain with plasma vets, Librarian and Techmarine with Melta.

Wound cycle and bring guys back with Vets.

Walk dread up middle, Character with 9 wounds....

Tacticals grab objectives and support where needed.

Move transport needs and combat squad based on foe.

I'm having an enormous amount of success with 3 Predators all armed with Autocannon Turrets and Lascannon sponsons.
They take advantage of Killshot as well as the Iron Hands Chapter specific stratagem (Machine Empathy?) to reposition for clear LoS to blast high priority targets.

Another really fun stratagem that stacks with our Dreads but can be used on any vehicle is the one that gives you a 5+ **Feel No Pain** against any mortal wounds for the rest of the turn. It's definitely kept my vehicles alive when facing off against smites whether they're spammed or not.

Also, Vaylund Cal, the Sons of Medusa Chapter Master from FW, paired with a Lieutenant essentially lets us play an even beefier, more tenacious Guilliman gunline with all the rerolls.
The offensive power along with the Iron Hands natural tankiness is crazy good in wars of attrition since he repairs vehicles too.