War of Secrets - Phill Kelly writing DA novel

Corswain

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/18/new-covers-revealed/

So what’s everybody think?

Personally, I have never had any real problem with Gav Thorpe but it will be nice to see a change of author and perspective.

And I hope that the DA mistrust the Primaris, they have been keeping secrets from most of their own Chapter for millennia, why would they trust Guillimans new toys?

It would be really cool if the Dark Angels get a transmission claiming to be from Terra and bringing new Primaris marines and Technology only to get rebuffed. Then Azrael is like, we have need need for so-called "primaris" marines. We already have our own and they are ready to awaken. 

On Phil Kelly. What has he written besides codexes? 

I'll skip this without regret. Phill Kelly is just terrible writer and his prose in undigestible for me.

That’s a shame. I haven’t read any of his novels but I’ve enjoyed his work in the Codexes. I’ll probably end up buying it anyway, I’m a sucker for any DA content.

Phil Kelly did mostly wrote Tau stuff like Damocles. In those, the Tau were op as hell. One truly can read some fanboy-ism in those.

All the best, guys. ;)

My guess is that the Tau will exploit the distrust shown by the Dark Angels toward their Primaris brethren, which will have led to unnecessary tactical mistakes. By the end of the novel, there will be a rapprochement or understanding of sorts, and the Dark Angels will earn whatever sort of Pyrrhic victory passes for a win in this dystopian setting.

I desperately hope I’m wrong, and that the usual clumsy cliches and tropes don’t manifest in this novel.

My guess is that the Tau will exploit the distrust shown by the Dark Angels toward their Primaris brethren, which will have led to unnecessary tactical mistakes. By the end of the novel, there will be a rapprochement or understanding of sorts, and the Dark Angels will earn whatever sort of Pyrrhic victory passes for a win in this dystopian setting.

I desperately hope I’m wrong, and that the usual clumsy cliches and tropes don’t manifest in this novel.

I have to say I’m a little concerned about this too. I’m worried that the novel will be used to sell Primaris to DA players by having them save the day (like they have in every other example) rather than create some conflict and real story.

Fingers crossed though.

• 2 weeks later...

From Warhammer Community - “In War of Secrets (book 3, coming in 2018), Phil Kelly explores a violent clash of culture and war philosophy between the Dark Angels and their new Primaris brethren, which sees the Primaris question whether the shadowy Chapter that resents their addition is a greater threat to their existence than the T’au they’re fighting.”

Full article here: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/15/space-marine-conquests-explained/

This actually gives me some hope for the book. “Violent clash” makes me optimistic that some Primaris are about to get stomped. :)

Edited by Corswain

I’m actually ok with Tau winning. My grimdark feels a little optimistic since 8th and a loss now and then would do the setting good.

It is part of the “conquests” series though so I think you’re safe.