Facing Tyranids

So I expect to be facing off against a friend who plays Tyranids later this week, I expect it to be a fairly friendly match but I don't know what all he'll bring to the table. The point value will be either 1500 or 2000 depending on how we feel at the time.

I know they tend to be fairly heavy in psykers but given they dont have a codex yet, do they really have all that much to fear in the psychic phase?With that in mind, what are some must bring units you feel would be good for facing Tyranids and what general tactics advice could you provide?

Thanks in advance! Purge the Xenos!

I've not had the opportunity to play against the bugs myself, but I've seen two games at the local store, both with mixed fluffy lists. Against gaunts and monsters it seems we do what we always did, bring down a few wounds with shooting (watch wound brackets fpr monsters) and finish them off in CC, Crusader squads should do work against gaunts and warriors. The dangerous units were the genestealers, making charges from absurd distances and tearing everything to pieces they touched and in one game the swarmlord(?) which allowed a unit to move twice and charge. Hope that helps!

I've not had the opportunity to play against the bugs myself, but I've seen two games at the local store, both with mixed fluffy lists. Against gaunts and monsters it seems we do what we always did, bring down a few wounds with shooting (watch wound brackets fpr monsters) and finish them off in CC, Crusader squads should do work against gaunts and warriors. The dangerous units were the genestealers, making charges from absurd distances and tearing everything to pieces they touched and in one game the swarmlord(?) which allowed a unit to move twice and charge. Hope that helps!

Do you know if the Swarmlord thing is a psychic power? If so I'm thinking I should save my Abhor the Witch for that and ignore the smites. Their big bugs degrade like vehicles? That is good to know.

When you deploy make sure you're covering yourself from deep strikes because if he's got those spore pod deploy thingy's it's pretty much a done deal if they get in alpha strike range turn 1, additionally, beware other move + psychic power = more move kinda stuff during deployment + first turn.

TL:DR

Hunker down turn 1 then come out guns blazing

Do you know if the Swarmlord thing is a psychic power? If so I'm thinking I should save my Abhor the Witch for that and ignore the smites. Their big bugs degrade like vehicles? That is good to know.

It isn't a psychic power ... its just his ability!

Hive Commander, lets you pick a unit within 6" in the shooting phase and that unit can move and advance as if it were movement phase instead of shoot.

Like others have said try to cover your deployment zone so they can't divide your force. Here's a tournament-level tactic that a Tyranid player used against me to great effect:

Swarmlord in a Spore Pod

Trygon Prime

Nasty infantry unit

What they do is, turn 1 or 2 the Swarmlord will drop down in the spore pod, and the Trygon prime will tunnel up nearby. Then a unit of Genestealers or other nasty infantry can come up that tunnel with the Trygon. The Tyranid player will use the Swarmlords ability to either get itself a guaranteed charge or that other unit will get a guaranteed charge. If they bring this combo there's no avoiding it, you just have to try and mitigate it as much as possible.

Also, if they bring those artillery creatures that shoot plasma, they shoot twice if they stand still. Those things are nasty, kill them first. Try to kill any -1 to hit creatures first if you can so you can bring your full firepower to bear, but sometimes they use a character from forge world so that's not always possible. In those cases, you won't be able to overcharge your plasma safely. Watch out for that.

The list I was looking at running for 1500, partly to test out my new landspeeders is:

Brigade

HQ:

Grimaldus

EC

Troop:

10 Man Crusader 5 bolters, 3 Chain and Pistols, 1 Power Sword, 1 Combi-Melta / Power Sword.

(2) 5 Man Crusader - Bolters + 1 Heavy Bolter

Elite

1 Contemptor Dreadnought - Assault Cannon

Fast:

2 Landspeeders - Double Flamers

Heavy Support:

1 Dev Squad - 3 Las Cannons, 1 Missile Launcher (only got 3 las cannons in collection atm, or it'd be 4 [ is the missile launcher stratagem worth using? ])

1 5 Man Hell Blasters - standard incenerators.

Flyer:

Stormraven Gunship - Heavy Bolters, Assault Cannons, Hurricanes

I think I have a pretty healthy mix of big guns and small arms fire. I know rushing headlong into Tyranids isnt always the best answer but it's my Templar way, Sigismund demands it!

Grimaldus, EC, the 10 Man Crusaders and the Contemptor I plan to run up the board in the Stormraven likely hunting the big nasty for EC glory! Everything else will hang back and shoot stuff. The 5 man crusaders I put with the bolters to use the stratagems / moving them doesnt seem as bad as moving a different heavy weapon if I need to move to capture / contest an objective.

The main weaknesses I see in the list is I'll be going headlong into Tyranids and fighting them in the territory they do best, but I expect to leverage my high power to win those situations. I also lack area denial to block deep striking. I figure if it doesn't look like I'll get turn 1 hunker down near the Stormraven and Landspeeders, hopefully in a position where they're forced to declare a charge on the land speeders if anything. Given the high movement potential of my mobile force I could see myself hunkering down in a corner on turn 1 then flying out from there.

Edited by Brother_Gneecapper