Small army to get started [1500pts, EC]

Daimhin

Back in May I decided to start collecting the Horus Heresy Emperor's Children army that I've been wanting for years! 

I now have a reasonable force purchased, about 4-5,000 points - but it's almost all unassembled and unpainted! Since this is a pretty daunting prospect, I thought I would start by working out a smaller army and start by getting that assembled and painted. That way I can at least hope to get a game this side of Christmas!

So here is my first attempt at a 1500pt list. Comments and suggestions welcomed.

III: Emperor's Children, Loyalist    

Rite of War: Orphans of Betrayal

++ Total: [1502pts] ++

+ HQ +

Delegatus [110pts]:

Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker

+ Elites +

Palatine Blade Squad [330pts]:

9x Palatine Warriors: 3x Phoenix Spear, 6x Power Sword, 9x Sonic Shriekers

. Palatine Prefector: Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Pheonix Spear

Veteran Tactical Squad [247pts]:

Veteran Tactics: Marksmen

. Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Combi-melta

. Veteran Space Marine: Meltagun, Vexilla, Power Sword

. Veteran Space Marine: Combi-Plasma, Power Sword

. Veteran Space Marines: Bolter, Chainsword

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [165pts]:

9x Tactical Space Marines

. Additional Wargear: Bolters, Vexilla, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Tactical Squad, Legion [160pts]:

9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion

. Additional Wargear: Bolters, Vexilla, Legion

. Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Sword

+ Fast Attack +

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron [150pts]

. Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

. Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

Land Speeder Squadron [100pts]

. Land Speeder, Legion: Volkite Culverin

. Land Speeder, Legion: Volkite Culverin

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter [240pts]:

Ground-tracking Auguries, 2x Two Kraken Penetrator Heavy missiles, 1x Two Sunfury heavy missiles

Edited by Daimhin

How is everyone deploying? That is the biggest question here imo. You just run them done the field? Especially the palatines should have a way to get into battle (melee!) asap. They are to fragile to run and noone shoots at the tactical when they can take out your only real damage dealers first. Why not run a bigger support squad with plasma in a rhino instead of the veterans? Same price around 240 depending on what you give the sergeant. The Landspeeder points should also be used in a different way. They bring Volkite, which is nice, but what are you going to shot at with your tacs? Better use the 100 points to get your elites to where you want them to be.

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

You really need some transports!!! 

If you run into a Whirlwind Scorpius/phosphex mortars/any shooting... your army is going to have a bad time.

The Palatine Blades and Veterans look like they would be a lot of fun to paint and build, but from a gaming perspective they are massively over equiped, especially the veterans (and they're just as easy to kill as regular tactical marines...).

If this is just the start of a larger army and the infantry will be getting transports later then that's fine, but the army as it is now will struggle.

This is a (first) attempt at an army so that I can start assembling and what I’ve got with a realistic short term goal - having an army I can use while I work on the rest!

The main list I’m going to be running is an Orbital Assault list. I have 12 drop pods unassembled (6 Legion, 2 Dreadnaught, 2 Dreadclaw, 1 Kharybdis, 1 Deathstorm)! This is the reason why I don’t have transports for these guys!

I’m total I have the following that I could pick from

5 Tartaros

10 Palatine Blades

2x 10 Tactical mkiii

8x combi melta mkiv

4x combi Plasma mkiv

2x melta mkiv

8x Plasma mkiv

5x melta mkiii

5x Heavy flamer mkiii

2x apothecary

Contemptor (2x lascannon, chainfist, cc weapon)

Leviathan (all options)

Fire Raptor

Primarks lightning

3x javelin (both options +multi-melta)

5x land speeder (volkite/ grav/ any)

3x Vorax

2x Avenger Strike Fighter

1x rapier laser destroyer

Along with plenty of character options

Edited by Daimhin

If you field all the infantry as is via OA RoW (+ 4x35pts) plus the Javelins, you will be almost able (delta 8 pts) to fit in the Plasma or Melta support squad (depending on what you expect to play against). The Delegates goes with the Plasma guys. That means you leave away the Primaris and the Land Speeders, but you have the ability to actually get into battle. It also means you can actually play the RoW that you want.

I would recommend to reconsider the Veterans (see Kizzdoug's comment). Right now they are expensive do-it-alls. Fluffy sword-wielding space marines, but probably (also as a unit) just not survivable enough. You could send a second support squad instead and just choose its flavor. Their should be even points left for an Apothecary if the squad is cheap!

Veterans are great and nice for all the powerswords and the Sergeant, but you do not use special weapons, but all combi-weapons (one shot and done). If my numbers are not totally off, you could have 2 specialized squads, even melt + plasma, which means 5 extra bodies and probably even the doc, too, to get more milage out of them.

edit: combi-weapons are great as they are versatile and situational in a good way. Also you probably expect not to get to many rounds out of them. But since the OA RoW allows us to get into position and close to the specific targets personally I would go with the specialized squads.

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

Something like?

Legion and Allegiance:    III: Emperor's Children, Loyalist

Rite of War: Orbital Assault

++ Total: [1498pts] ++

+ HQ +

Delegatus [115pts]:

Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker

+ Elites +

Palatine Blade Squad [418pts]:

8x Palatine Warriors: 3x Phoenix Spear, 5x Power Sword, Sonic Shriekers

. Palatine Prefector: Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Pheonix Spear

. Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod: Frag Assault Launchers

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion [200pts]:

Drop Pod, Legion Vexilla, 9x Tactical Space Marines

. Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist

Tactical Squad, Legion [195pts]:

Drop Pod, Legion Vexilla, 9x Tactical Space Marines

. Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Sword

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Meltagun [210pts]:

Drop Pod, 4x Space Marines: Meltagun

. Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Meltagun

Tactical Support Squad, Legion Plasma Gun [210pts]:

Drop Pod, 4x Space Marines: Plasma Gun

. Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Plasma Gun

+ Fast Attack +

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, Legion [150pts]

. Javelin Attack Speeder: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

. Javelin Attack Speeder: 2x Hunter-killer Missile, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

That list looks much better and rounded, like it!

Next to 2k you can add the lightning to deal with Spartans and more speeders. Another combat squad in anvilus as well as Levi for 2.5k and beef the delegates to a preator and you'll have a cool well rounded force.

Drop lists tend to win well or lose hard but pods give a really different fun flags and feel.

Just a note on the shriekers... from a fluff point they are really a traitor thing and even used as a test to see who would get them implanted. Those that didn't sealed their fate as a loyalist on istavaan 3