Melee plague marines

TempestBlade

Ok so I know they aren’t the best around but getting 2 flails in a squad sounds fun. So I’m thinking:

2x flails

2x plague spewer

1x bubotic axe

1x 2 plague knives with icon of despair

1x champ with power fist and plasma pistol

Would you guys suggest plague spewers or meltaguns? With meltas you can run and gun and get into close range.

You might like a rhino for them, and I'd go for 9-10 marines.  Malignant Plaguecaster for Blades of Putrefaction (+ Putrescent Vitality) is essential imo (pestilential fallout when close helps too) (combo Veterans of the Long War with Blades of Putre if needed).  Depending how many points you wanna burn, a tallyman fits in the rhino too.  

I feel like spewers for the weapons is best, as fewer points, but it's really just down to preference as meltas are totally serviceable too I think.  

Edited by Guidebot

I totally agree on the Rhino, absolute must to get a CC PM squad up close and personal.  I would consider a Foul Blightspawn and the Putrifyer to go with the squad.  Get out of Rhino, Flame with Spwerers + Blight Grenade Bombardment!!!!!  If there is then anything left, you can charge :wink:

Edited by Checkmate77

I'm going with 7 strong in a rhino except with no bubotic axe, its a waste of points upgrading the first guy who will get removed.

I've used them in two games (proxied) and they were okay but only had Raven Guard Scouts to chew up so were kind of a waste. The flails were really good but they're expensive compared to on blight lords because you have to pay 10 points per d3 attacks rather than getting 2d3 for what is basically 3 points over the axe and combi-bolter. This creates a weird "if you want melee plague marines take flails but if you want flails take blight lords' situation.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

@SkimaskMohawk.  Can you elaborate a bit regarding the Blightspawn?  Why three units charging?  Also, you are not taking into account his nasty "Flamer" weapon. 

To be fair, I haven't used him yet myself, but I am curious if you have any experiences as to why he is so bad?

If you're making a melee squad, be super careful about including the F.Blightspawn or the B.Putrifier.  The Blightspawn, because it's just terrible.  The Putrifier, because if you're getting that blight bombard off, you better have another target close by to charge or else you probs aint chargin, and all that value you bought for CQC isn't being used.  

IMO for "in your face" plague marines, you're better off just running a regular squad of plague marines with bolters and 3x plasmagun, in a Rhino, with a Malignant Plague Caster (Pandemic Staff for 2x Smite 2x Pestilential fallout), inflicting a ton of damage with close range shooting (mix in a B.Putrifier if you like), then you can charge if you like/ can and Blades of Putrifaction on the Plaguecaster still means you pack a punch (VotLW optional).  If you really really want you can make sure they're affected by an arch contaminator for max value on the blight bombard/ blades of putrifaction.  

This still works if you throw in a flail or two, it's just more points, but if you're really sold on the idea/ the models, 20pts isn't too much =)

Edited by Guidebot

Woops meant two, but regardlessd, he makes units charging not count as charging. The thing is, when there's no charging units left to activate, the player who's turn it is chooses the first unit to activate. If you're only charged by one unit, then your opponent will choose to activate that unit. If you're charged by two, then your unit will be able to be activated before their second one.

You can also set it up so that you only hit one key unit with the slow and then interrupt the sequence with command points, ensuring that unit can't attack before you. But that also requires multiple enemy charges, on top of really good positioning

Yeah those "always strikes first" and "never strikes first" abilities are way less potent than they sound once you properly read how the activation of units in the fight phase works unfortunately.