Scout Bikes

seriade

I'm curious to know this as well. I've thought about running a squad. I have an attack bike that's partially built that I think could make a fun harassing unit.

My problem with bikes is that I want the FW outrider models. I'm not a fan of the GW bikes at all, so if I ever to get bikes I'll probably be looking third party.

The problem I see with scout bikers is only a 4+ armour save, and 2W. Anything with loads of dice, -1AP and/or maybe 2D will just cut them apart. Besides that, they are fast, have considerable speed and firepower while being reasonably cheap. As a cheap distraction blob, 3x3 scout bikers with storm bolters are just 231p, and with a thunder hammer storm bolter captain 354p. This would be a considerable threat, while still cheap, it could be worth it. I'd try, but so far I just have 3 bikers, 2 of them still with last edition's grenade launcher, which is now just a waste of points.

The problem I see with scout bikers is only a 4+ armour save, and 2W. Anything with loads of dice, -1AP and/or maybe 2D will just cut them apart. Besides that, they are fast, have considerable speed and firepower while being reasonably cheap. As a cheap distraction blob, 3x3 scout bikers with storm bolters are just 231p, and with a thunder hammer storm bolter captain 354p. This would be a considerable threat, while still cheap, it could be worth it. I'd try, but so far I just have 3 bikers, 2 of them still with last edition's grenade launcher, which is now just a waste of points.

Your concerns are valid when you consider that with the new 8th Ed rules, getting a cover save on a bike is night impossible. That is also the principle reason I have played my bikes in any RG lists since 8th Ed dropped.

Please shoot at my 77 point unit with "loads of dice".  Keep in mind... those bikes get the -1 hit buff.  So have at it, blast away.  

I also have scout bikes with the grenades... sad face*.  Most people arent that picky about "counts as" in this case.

One note about these bikes... since most ppl like to camp objectives with chaff.. bikes have been good objectives grabbers for me.  They completely mangle things like scouts, guardsmen(10 man), fire warriors, gaunts, heavy weapon teams.  

The case against the bikes is guard mortars and wyverns.  These units completely shred scout bikes just because of the weight of dice and because you cant use terrain to block los.  If your meta has tons of these... maybe pass on scout bikes. 

In my games where I fielded scout bikers they have done well.  I have them keep out of harms way until there is an objective i can grab to score points or a juicy and optimal target like scouts.  They are also good to tie up heavy units to prevent shoot.  Just avoid heavy flamer overwatch!

If you can use their speed to get 11" on the far side of an enemy unit to double tap their twin bolters, they could be a real pain. Does the enemy check their advance toward your front line to avoid the -1 to hit on your cheap scouts, or continue to let you harry them up the board?

Please shoot at my 77 point unit with "loads of dice".  Keep in mind... those bikes get the -1 hit buff.  So have at it, blast away.  

I also have scout bikes with the grenades... sad face*.  Most people arent that picky about "counts as" in this case.

One note about these bikes... since most ppl like to camp objectives with chaff.. bikes have been good objectives grabbers for me.  They completely mangle things like scouts, guardsmen(10 man), fire warriors, gaunts, heavy weapon teams.  

The case against the bikes is guard mortars and wyverns.  These units completely shred scout bikes just because of the weight of dice and because you cant use terrain to block los.  If your meta has tons of these... maybe pass on scout bikes. 

In my games where I fielded scout bikers they have done well.  I have them keep out of harms way until there is an objective i can grab to score points or a juicy and optimal target like scouts.  They are also good to tie up heavy units to prevent shoot.  Just avoid heavy flamer overwatch!

Wait a minute, wait a minute.  Are you trying to tell me that scout bikes have a distinct purpose, and are good at some jobs, while being bad at others, and that one must actually think about how to use them, not just point-n'-click them forward?

No, sir, I'll have none of that in my army.

Wait a minute, wait a minute.  Are you trying to tell me that scout bikes have a distinct purpose, and are good at some jobs, while being bad at others, and that one must actually think about how to use them, not just point-n'-click them forward?

Yeah...my point is, just one unit of those guys is target practise. 3 of them, buffed by a CC-capable character, are a threat, while still cheap enough to work alongside other troops. With deep strikers and maybe a CC unit attached, those could be the center of a nice firebase. Bonus points for dropping Issodon behind their advance, using them as meat shields, while giving them ranged reroll to hit, Storm of Fire, and an additional inch for their charge. 19" guaranteed charge range (24" average) sounds useful...

Yeah im painting up another army atm just to avoid the problem of having to think.  The new army is just going to rush forward and charge and contains mostly 1 type of unit.  Space marines require some thought which really sucks.

Yeah im painting up another army atm just to avoid the problem of having to think.  The new army is just going to rush forward and charge and contains mostly 1 type of unit.  Space marines require some thought which really sucks.

Which army is that? I'll take 2 of em!

Reece at FLG talks highly of them.

I have 3 unpainted which I am yet to use. I bought them for my TSF last ed and never used them either.

Ive used regular bikes twice? This edition and like them as objective grabbers. They would certainly be a good option for that and bulk out a brigade detachment. Handy harassment unit too.

71 points for the unit (they got cheaper in the new codex). 16" move (2" faster than normal bikes). Access to the stratagem (not amazing but options are good).

Seems great on paper and I have heard good things.

You are forgetting the combi bolters on the bikes they are 25 each after wargear

I've had the same squadron of 3 with Grenade Launchers since 5th. Are they really that bad? Are the twin bolters really worth that much more?

As said above compared to the grenade launcher and giving the sergeant a storm bolter your getting 22 shots at 12 inches for a squad of 3.  To swap to the grenade launcher you loose 4 shots to hit harder with 1 so may be a trade off with regard to use or roll.  So for around 225 points you have 3 squads that could easily clear any form of screen or worst case for your opponent get into there back lines and clear off objectives/murder back line support and then claim them themselves.

As said above compared to the grenade launcher and giving the sergeant a storm bolter your getting 22 shots at 12 inches for a squad of 3.  To swap to the grenade launcher you loose 4 shots to hit harder with 1 so may be a trade off with regard to use or roll.  So for around 225 points you have 3 squads that could easily clear any form of screen or worst case for your opponent get into there back lines and clear off objectives/murder back line support and then claim them themselves.

With S4, they will hardly clear the entire backfield. Against parking lots, it would require the expensive kind of power weapons. But that doesn't matter against non-fly units, because you can lock them in CC. Did that with a few reivers/intercessors, always locked down 4 to 5 IG tanks per round. Scout bikes need to approach first, but with their speed, they will reach everything. Except for infantry in buildings, as scout bikes can only enter the lowest level of a building.