Skywarrior's Great Company: Survivors of Cadia

So, after multiple revisions to my Space Wolves Great Company (also watching the entirety of The Pacific and Hacksaw Ridge) I wondered, what would WW2 trench warfare style Space Wolves look like. I am still working that out, however I do know what they sound like. Just like my other post I need to know if this is feasible. 

When Cadia fell and the Wolves were left crippled, they escaped with as many civilians and Cadian Guard as possible. One such ship was the Arctic Angel. On the course of her return to Fenris she was were harried by Daemons following the Eyes rapid expansion. Every time they attacked they took lives with them, Fenrisian and Cadian alike. The Wolves and Cadians both civilian and soldier fought, of which only the strongest of will, body, and mind remained. For 19 Terran months they hunted daemons throughout the ship wherever they appeared. Despite all odds they persevered. When they came out above Fenris they were beaten, bloodied, but unbroken. The same could not be said for the Arctic Angel as the ship's engines sputtered out leaving them to the whim of Fenris' orbit upon exiting the Warp. The losses during the fall of Cadia were great, so much so that the chapter was desperate for new recruits. Arguments echoed through the halls of the Fang, debates over the tradition of recruiting from Fenris. This on top of the fact no suitable recruits were nearby, and even if there was the newly formed Great Rift made it no easy task reaching them. In low orbit hanging above the world of eternal winter was their answer. Young boys from Cadia raised alongside the warriors and culture of Fenris while fighting daemons to simply survive. An opportunity the Wolf Priests were loathe to pass up.  

Please tell me if this conflicts with any of the lore or events of the Fall of Cadia. I do know however the Space Wolves can recruit non Fenrisians, they simply don't out of tradition. But in the face of necessity tradition is compromisable. But I could be wrong. Either way I would like feedback, any and all criticism is welcome.

Edited by 40K Destiny

I personally like the idea, but those who colonized Fenris in pre-Imperial days, enhanced themselves with wolf DNA to better survive on that planet; it's for this reason Space Wolf gene-seed (specifically, the Canis Helix) works so well on them. Can Space Wolf gene-seed be implanted into those lacking the genetic enhancements a son of Fenris inherited from his long-dead ancestors?

I personally like the idea, but those who colonized Fenris in pre-Imperial days, enhanced themselves with wolf DNA to better survive on that planet; it's for this reason Space Wolf gene-seed (specifically, the Canis Helix) works so well on them. Can Space Wolf gene-seed be implanted into those lacking the genetic enhancements a son of Fenris inherited from his long-dead ancestors?

That could explain the true-scale guys in my army, they reacted well to the gene-seed due to their heritage. The others... well the doubled attrition rate has made it so they know recruiting non-Fenrisians is a little risking.

The story continues. 

The survivors left aboard the Arctic Angel were brought into the Fang, a rare time of off worlders walking within its halls. Young boys at the age of recruitment were plentiful having survived the warp itself wanting them dead. Of the 500,000 Cadian civilians 2000 boys were found suitable and were recruited to be put through the trials. The few remaining Cadian Guard regrouped with the Astra Militarum for the Indomitus Crusade. The civilians were then secretly transferred to the closest agri-world by Logan Grimnar's command, keeping them out of the reach of the Inquisition. The time then came for the sons of Cadia to become sons of Russ. The recruited boys excelled in the training camps, the military doctrine of the Cadian Guard forming coordinated Packs that overcame all obstacles placed before them. Only 203 died during their training. During the first of the two Trials of Morkai they exceeded again proving their fearlessness. The ghosts of their dead home world took that from them long ago. But fearlessness was not enough, as 144 never conquered themselves, relinquished to the fate of servitors. However the last Trial of Morkai was where they would see their greatest losses. They began with 1653 of the original aspirants, a number far higher than expected. This was not to last as the attrition was high following the implantation process. After the remaining recruits were implanted with the Canis Helix and dropped in the arctic to find their way back to the Fang they were not seen for three days. At the dawn of the fourth day waiting at the gates were 892 of the 1653 recruits that were left to survive. Almost half had either perished from genetic rejection or gone mad with blood lust. The remaining aspirants held a surprising twist in their ranks. Standing tall above their brothers were Wulfen. Fully fledged with fangs, claws, and fur. Just standing and waiting.

Edited by 40K Destiny

The Legend of the Noble Pack: Consisting of the survivors that escaped aboard the Arctic Angel, these were the Space Wolves that held the line as they voyaged to Fenris. Last stands and acts of selfless sacrifice abounded from these Astartes during the many skirmishes of the journey. It inspired Guardsmen to pickup their Lasguns, and gave civilians the determination so that even if they may not survive, they did not need to go quietly if they didn't. Of the 80 who escaped Cadia, only 13 live to this day. All of whom would form the leadership of the company forged from the civilians they defended.

Edited by 40K Destiny

Very nice idea:thumbsup:  I like what you've done with it so far and I could see the Space Wolves doing this. They do have a rough sentimentality about them.

This was an interesting observation:

I'm fairly familiar with SW lore, and don't recall ever seeing this. Do you have a reference? I'm not doubting you brother, I'm just very curious.

I'm fairly familiar with SW lore, and don't recall ever seeing this. Do you have a reference? I'm not doubting you brother, I'm just very curious.

In 'A Thousand Sons', Magnus repeatedly states, "There are no wolves on Fenris," which confused his sons until the climax of the novel, when Ahriman's newly enhanced psychic senses scan an approaching Wulfen's genes; what Ahriman learned, terrified him.

I interpreted that line to mean Fenrisian "wolves" are actually heavily mutated humans- as did the writers of some 1d4chan articles, which were the origins of the "Fenrisian colonists genetically enhanced themselves with wolf DNA" line I repeated. (Those articles may have been edited since I last read them.)

In 'A Thousand Sons', Magnus repeatedly states, "There are no wolves on Fenris," which confused his sons until the climax of the novel, when Ahriman's newly enhanced psychic senses scan an approaching Wulfen's genes; what Ahriman learned, terrified him.

I interpreted that line to mean Fenrisian "wolves" are actually heavily mutated humans- as did the writers of some 1d4chan articles, which were the origins of the "Fenrisian colonists genetically enhanced themselves with wolf DNA" line I repeated. (Those articles may have been edited since I last read them.)

Yay! That means I can get these (eventually.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Crusade-PIC301107-Anubis-Warriors-5-Miniatures-Wolf-Space-Marine-Wolfmen-/381721382635

I don't think Fenrisians in general are recipients of the canis helix, rather the Fenrisian Wolves are neophytes who did not properly take to the helix and went wulfen. The canis helix continued to mutate them. Russ, being the big sentimental lug that he obviously is, didn't have the heart to cull them. Thus we have the Fenrisian Wolves. That would also explain why they are so big.

I also believe this idea is born out in Dan Abnett's 'Prospero Burns'. It's been a while since I've read it, so I reserve the right to be wrong:wink: 

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

• 2 weeks later...

Lore to wrap up what occurred in my last lore post. 

Following their appearance at the gates of the Fang, the Cadian Wulfen were immediately tested for genetic mutation. What was discovered was miraculous. A small amount, exactly 37, of the Cadian aspirants were distantly connected to Fenrisian bloodlines. Estimations put the connection slightly after the beginning of the Great Crusade following the reunion of Leman Russ and The Emperor. What had occurred was something that no gene-lab could recreate. Evolution. The genetic deficiency that leads to the transformation into a Wulfen was bred out of the aspirants after hundreds, if not thousands of generations. Despite multiple attempts, the gene could not be isolated for use in gene-seed implantation. Thus, if one of these aspirants were to fall in battle, their gene-seed is to be considered on par with fallen Wolf Guard Terminators for recovery due to its properties. Otherwise they are treated as any of the Rout would be. 

Lore for their arms and armor. 

The Cadian Wolves, as they have been nicknamed, are a far cry from Fenrisian born Astartes. They eschew decoration for efficiency in many cases with few exceptions. Tech Adepts have reported their weapons being highly modified in most cases. Extra targeting equipment, bayonets, and the occasional trophy. Their ingenuity reached its peak when a Cadian aspirant turned Iron Priest created his "Lightning Pattern Meltagun." Three of these are within the Skywarrior's Great Company of which he is a part. After scavenging four Arc Rifles from downed Mechanicus Skitarii in the field,he, in his own words, "tinkered" with them. The end result was a Arc weapon with an overcharged core, a slower fire rate in exchange for added armor penetration. With its armor penetration being similar to that of a Meltagun, his fourth Lightning Pattern Meltagun was given to the Mechanicus. It was accepted, and in exchange they have only barred him from all Mechanicus holy sites rather than having him executed for techno-heresy. 

The power armor of the Cadian Wolves is perhaps what most Imperial personnel find vexing. While there are trophies and Space Wolf heraldry, it is different than most Space Wolves. The resemblance is there, however it is more... reserved. Less extravagance with surprising amounts of simply gray painted ceramite. A few small squads are on record as having the extravagant decoration and trophies of regular Space Wolves. Most Cadian Wolves are quoted as calling them "glory seekers." 

Edited by 40K Destiny

I think a Cadian would use the technical term "field modification" instead of the crude term "tinker," regarding what he did to the salvaged arc rifles. I also think one of the modifications would be to mount the arc rifle under a Cawl pattern bolt rifle, converting the latter into a combi-weapon.

I think a Cadian would use the technical term "field modification" instead of the crude term "tinker," regarding what he did to the salvaged arc rifles. I also think one of the modifications would be to mount the arc rifle under a Cawl pattern bolt rifle, converting the latter into a combi-weapon.

For the Iron Priest I am going for a joking kind of personality and I felt the term "tinkering" would make the Adeptus Mechanicus furious. However, welding one onto the bottom of a Bolt Rifle does sound like something he would do. Thanks for the idea. :thumbsup: