How Many Characters do you Use?

TheShredder

Basically the title. I'm just curious as to how many characters you guys include in your armies.

I ask because many of my lists tend to include quite a few, almost by default, and I'm wondering if I'm making them too top-heavy.

I'm particularly interested in how you measure out stuff like Company Commanders and Commissars (assuming you use them at all). Do you like to have enough orders to cover every squad, or do you rely on just ordering a couple of key squads each turn whilst the others fend for themselves?

Also, what about other support characters like Primaris Psykers, Astropaths and Tech-Priests. Do you use them at all? If so, how many do you think is enough?

Enough to satisfy all the Detachment requiredments. More are optional after everything else is bought and I’m burning off points or if There is a need for another Commissar or Psyker. Not much point in using Tech Priests when there are extremely few or no vehicles.

My tournament list I took 8, which cost me a lot of kill points. :facepalm:

Although in retrospect ITC kill points are now based on CPs so it may have been closer than it appeared

Edited by duz_

As many as are fluffy.

I keep my list the same as it was in 7th... so I have:

Company commander.

2 platoon commanders.

3 Priests.

3 Primaris Psykers.

Tech Priest.

I have a space marine detachment that has a further 4 characters.

I haven't worked out points or legality yet... but I am not changing my layout just because the rules changed... even if it won't ever win me battles (which isn't really relevant because I only collect, I don't game :) ).

Let's see:

1 Tank commander

2 company commanders

2 priests

2 astropaths

1 canoness.

The question is quite broad, but I have been wondering about the right balance myself. But a 15 point astropath is hardly comparable to a 230 point Tank Commander. Anyhow, not counting the Tank Commander as it's more of a glorified Heavy Support choice, I would avoid surpassing 10% of the army's points cost in HQ (all characters), and another 5-10% max for Elite Characters. Say, 300 points max in characters for a 2000 points army.

On what do I base this self-imposed limit? Absolutely nothing. 

Always seems like I take too many but I never regret having them!

Yarrick

Company Commander

2 Platoon Commanders

Commissar

Astropath

Tank Commander

I'll add a Malleus Inquisitor sometimes and he's always done well (Killed Abbadon and a Nurgle choppy character with ease!) but that's due to luck rather than him being of use. His female Xenos counterpart is very unlucky so never does well... Hardly her fault if the muppet rolling the dice rolls 1's though!

When I play Guard it's usually quite a few, but it's probably in a more fluffy than optimal way.

I have quite a few officer models I run across different regiments so it depends on the models I have available for each but each regiment typically has a company commander heading up the infantry section with extras as platoon commanders.

For my oldest regiment (Praetorians/Mordians) I'm limited by models. With 4 infantry squads, 2 command squads and 1 heavy weapon squad I currently have 1 company commander and 1 platoon commander ordering the whole lot around, using the vox network provided by the command squads. I'm thinking of converting a 3rd officer who would be an extra platoon commander, though he'd be without a command squad then.

My Catachans are currently my biggest regiment as I had a lot of them from back in the day. 6 infantry squads, 1 heavy weapon squad, 1 command squad. I also have 5 'officer' models, plus Harker, so a bigger ratio of officers:squads. The current thinking is Straken plus a company commander heading the detachment and then 3 platoon commanders. That gives 2 units of troops for each platoon commander and then the two higher ranks overseeing things. The key thing with my Catachan officers is that they all have upgraded melee weapons and will all be used aggressively on the front lines. Though I still have a vox network across the squads they're not sitting back in cover to issue orders, they're doing so where the action is. Harker goes with the heavy weapon squad.

For a new Cadian detachment I'm building I currently have 2 company commanders: The first is an infantry commander who sits with 2 infantry squads and the 2nd is a veteran commander who will be accompanying 2 mechanised veteran squads. I'm likely to add a couple of heavy weapons squads too I'd want to give orders to and would add a 3rd commander here as an artillery officer. Currently no platoon commanders, but if I add more infantry squads to open up for a batallion or brigade detachment I would add some.

For extra characters I have Yarrick, 1 Lord Commissar, 2 Commissars, 2 Priests, 1 Primaris Psyker and 3 Astropaths I can mix across the detachments. The only exception is that my Catachans don't do Commissars - they do, however, reluctantly accept the Priests for the +1A aura.

So it's quite a few, and not all get used in the same games, but it gives me a thematic approach to things.

Edited by Thoridon

I like redundancy for core characters, but just one of the non-essential. Overall, I try to limit them as much as possible, but still they are many.

Usually I bring:

2x Company commander

2x Primaris psyker

1x Commissar

1x Tank commander (which I am considering replacing with I normal LR...less of a fire magnet and 50 pts saved)

1x Astropath if I expect to need more dispel

1x punchy/funny suicide guy, either Straken or DKK cavalry commander depending on the detachment I field

I've been going back and forth between the classic Company Commander and Creed (pure Cadian IG), though for now the CC has it.  I typically back him up with a Lord Commissar (I think they're worth the extra cost), Primaris Psyker (super toolbox unit), and always Pask.  Always  :D

As many as I need. Currently 2 commanders and a tank commander. My Elysians have 5 all company commanders for the two orders. When I land my special weapons and heavy weapons, I want them to do as much as possible in the alpha. They tend to die if they fail in that job.

Captain

Lieutenant

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Ancient

That's a hell of an IG army you have there. :wink:

Haha, well as of late this is what I take. I'm trying to minimize my number of deployments and usually I have a ton of characters.

Vulkan He'Stan

Captain

Lieutenant

Primaris Lieutenant

Term. Librarian

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Champion

Company Ancient

Captain

Lieutenant

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Ancient

Haha, well as of late this is what I take. I'm trying to minimize my number of deployments and usually I have a ton of characters.

Vulkan He'Stan

Captain

Lieutenant

Primaris Lieutenant

Term. Librarian

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Champion

Company Ancient

This is the Imperial Guard Astra Militarum section of the boards, so I'm guessing that TheShredder was gently ribbing you because the OP was asking about Astra Militarum characters, not Space Marine ones.   :wink:

Edited by Major_Gilbear

Captain

Lieutenant

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Ancient

Vulkan He'Stan

Captain

Lieutenant

Primaris Lieutenant

Term. Librarian

Librarian

Apothecary

Company Champion

Company Ancient

This is the Imperial Guard Astra Militarum section of the boards, so I'm guessing that TheShredder was gently ribbing you because the OP was asking about Astra Militarum characters, not Space Marine ones.   :wink:

By the Emperor, I didn't even pay attention to what I was even writing in :wallbash: