Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Decimator or Contemptor?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Fhanados

Fhanados

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

So I've been in need of some kind of ranged support element for my Chaos armies for a long time now. I know predators are good, but I love big stompy robots and frankly my Forgefiends have been massive disappointments this edition so far. I've had my eye on the IA:Chaos index since its release, particularly on aforementioned stompy robots. Now I have my fair share of close to mid range support covered by Bloat Drones and Melta/Fist Helbrutes so what I'm really after is something that packs a bit more of a ranged punch, while being able to soak up some early-game damage.

I love the Leviathan on paper but it's a bit too many points for my liking. Similar deal with the Deredeo, although I'm not overly keen on the model so that's at the bottom of my Forgeworld Robot Shopping List. So I have it narrowed down to the Contemptor or the Decimator, but I really can't decide which.

Contemptor starts off stronger, has a better invuln in assault and benefits from Legion traits. But it's more points, has a degrading statline, and only heals wounds if it kills things in combat and can't be repaired by Warpsmiths or Helwrights.

Decimator has a few less wounds and lower BS, but it is cheaper, doesn't lose stats as it takes damage, and has the same invuln against shooting. It also automatically heals one wound per turn and can be repaired.

For context I use Death Guard, Black Legion or Renegade Legion tactics, normally very infantry heavy armies (lots of power armour - I own far too may Chaos Space Marine minis to not use them!) that I backed up with Helbrutes, Forgefiends and a Heldrake or a bucketload of Obliterators in 7th. For weapons options I intend on using either dual Butcher Cannon or dual C-Beam Cannon. I feel that either of these weapons will plug a few weaknesses in my usual lists.

So which do you use or prefer?

the jeske

the jeske

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,440 posts

yeah, well as no things should be run as ones, it would probably be a good thing to either one of each. When you say you play infantry heavy DG and renegades, you mean MW and smite spam lists. Or are you actually using real csm and DG models in those lists that move on foot?

"Felix wondered how Calgar might feel about the primach's unilateral altering of the Codex Astartes. The captain could not help but feel that, in his drive for victory and efficiency, Guilliman had been careless with the feelings of his existing sons. Increasingly, Guilliman looked to the Primaris Space Marines as his first solution. He made no attempt to hide the fact that the days of the older space marines were numbered."

totgeboren

totgeboren

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,403 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers

My Decimator with dual c-beams was a real beast the one game I tried him out. The only real negative is that he more or less needs the Daemonforge stratagem to function properly. It's just two hit rolls and two wound rolls, so you have around a 30% chance of doing no damage. With Daemonforge that drops to something like 4%, so a huge improvement.

C-beams also leads to him being immobile, so easy to avoid if you play with terrain, which was an issue for me.

Haven't had time to try out my Contemptor, but he feel much more suitable for front line duty, with a classic loadout of shooty+cc weapons (due to him healing in cc).

WfHLk2F.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_6198_3277.png

“What started out as a pleasant afternoon of drugs and surgery has not gone as planned.”

-Zoidberg

My Chaos stuff, Descent 2ed, and home-made ZM board!

Fhanados

Fhanados

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

yeah, well as no things should be run as ones, it would probably be a good thing to either one of each. When you say you play infantry heavy DG and renegades, you mean MW and smite spam lists. Or are you actually using real csm and DG models in those lists that move on foot?

By "Renegades" I mean the "Renegade Chapter" Legion Trait. My vanilla marines are being stripped down and repainted and it's come down to either renegade or Black Legion. Trying them on for size before I go all in. I know Alpha Legion is awesome but there's already a fair few AL players in my area.

I am the second kind of person - the poor fool trying to make power armour on foot work! I know it's not competitive and usually drop most of the Power Armour in my lists for Poxwalkers and Cultists for anything competitive. I'm finding it tricky to work out the meta around here because I don't get many games in these days so I'm pretty happy to settle with "cruddy troops, decent support".

Totally agree with you about running pairs though.

My Decimator with dual c-beams was a real beast the one game I tried him out. The only real negative is that he more or less needs the Daemonforge stratagem to function properly. It's just two hit rolls and two wound rolls, so you have around a 30% chance of doing no damage. With Daemonforge that drops to something like 4%, so a huge improvement.

C-beams also leads to him being immobile, so easy to avoid if you play with terrain, which was an issue for me.

Haven't had time to try out my Contemptor, but he feel much more suitable for front line duty, with a classic loadout of shooty+cc weapons (due to him healing in cc).

The rerolls from Daemonforge are pretty awesome. I feel like if I ran 2 Decimators though one would always be running half full because of the reliance on the stratagem. Good to hear it works well though! Maybe one of each as Jeske suggested would be the best of both worlds.

I have one Fist/Plasma contemptor already that I used to use as a Helbrute Champion back in 7th with that odd 5-brute formation. I've found the plasma cannon (of both the Helbrute and Ectoplasma varieties) so terribly underwhelming in 8th I haven't bothered trying to use it as an actual Contemptor.

Edited by Fhanados, 20 October 2017 - 06:23 AM.

Rodrick

Rodrick

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
  • Chapter Name: World Eaters

i use two contemptors, its a tricky business, on paper they are insanely good (and they are)

but they cost a :cuss load of points.

i play as  world eater so i use them as a robust support fire base,  dual butcher cannon, 

why dual butcher cannon instad kheres patter AC,  mostly bc storm Ravens, wounding on 3+  and doing 2 damage each its superior

wounding its more important than hitting imho

Contemptors as a close combat unit its complicated, with 9 inch move and no deepstrike  its hard to get them into combat

my two cents

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,894 posts
  • Chapter Name: Children of The Violet Heart

I've never used either but would go with a Decimator, because Contemptors look like they ate all the pies.

• Iron Skull Mask likes this

START WEARING PURPLE

Zodd1888

Zodd1888

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 381 posts
The benefit of running two with heavy weapons is they move on alternate turns allowing full fire effect on the one with Strategem active.

Jamesb_05

Jamesb_05

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 61 posts
Why can't the contemptor be healed by warpsmiths or hellwrights?

Prot

Prot

++ EQUES AEDITUUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,118 posts
I thought it turned out the Strategem was directed at actual Helbrutes?

Zodd1888

Zodd1888

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 381 posts

I thought it turned out the Strategem was directed at actual Helbrutes?

Only partial read through, my bad. Saw someone say one Helbrute and I don't mind using 2. Guess it was referring to FW lol.

I hadmeant this in reference to Las/Missle duo Helbrutes.

Edited by Zodd1888, 20 October 2017 - 08:54 PM.

• Prot likes this

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,633 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard

Why can't the contemptor be healed by warpsmiths or hellwrights?

Cause FW stupidly FAQed the Machina Malefica rule so anything with it (including all FW dreads) cannot regain lost wounds by any other means apart from in combat through the Machina malefica rule

Edited by Plaguecaster, 21 October 2017 - 02:44 AM.

Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

Iron Skull Mask

Iron Skull Mask

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 495 posts

I'd go for the Decimator. You want him shooty? You said it yourself: he has the better invul. for ranged combat and automatically heals each turn. He is cheaper, has good weapon options and he's a daemon engine, so he profits from their stratagem.

BaS%20sig%2004-15.png-gallery_77459_12304_7182.png

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Res Ipsa Loquitur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,894 posts
  • Chapter Name: Children of The Violet Heart

They actually named a rule 'Machina Malefica'?

I guess everyone 'phones it in sometimes.

START WEARING PURPLE

McGibs

McGibs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 89 posts

Given the decimator's relative fragility (it's only marginally tougher than a dread) dual storm lasers make for a really good infantry shredder at only 140ish points (same as a dread).

10 str6 AP-2 shots is nothing to sneeze at, and they're assault weapons to boot, which is rare for vehicles. The more esoteric weapons are all too expensive for the platform, in my opinion. Better to splurge and put them on a Leviathan or Deredeo.

Edited by McGibs, 21 October 2017 - 03:39 PM.

website_header.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users