Chaos bikers. Best legion trait? Tactics!

Kimbo

Hi! Im currently working on a DG project and want a CSM Detachment for the army...I really love bikes..

- witch trait do you find best for using bikes?

I had a though of using a lord on bike for reroll 1's. Then having 3x bike squads or something

Cheers!

Edited by Kimbo

- Black legion allow you to advance and use the combi bolter on top of the obvious flamers or melta your bike should have. 

- Iron warrior is always great with combi bolter and flamers to chase GEQ on ruins

- Renegates is maybe the best for bike. You got 20+2D6 range for close. 

- World Eater & Emperor's children are meh.

The only thing with EC biker is to get the Blissgiver. It replace the bolt pistol with an assault weapon, so you can shoot with it and your other guns. 

So you can get a Lord on bike with combi-plasma, combi-bolter on bike and a S4 AP-1 assault D6 weapon. But Elixir will always be better. 

- Night Lords is meh

- Alpha legion is greatly overpowered

- Word bearers is the exact opposite. 

I'd say Renegades. It gives you an extra 6" threat range the turn you charge.

Use Bikes as harasser unit, not as beatstick. Charge shooty units, tie them up, hunt weaker units, prevent units to get to objectives, drive around units and charge them in their back so they can't fall back from a second unit they are in melee with. Those kind of things.

Second place I'd probably put Night Lords, simply because I like their gimmicky trait. The rest is pretty much a wash for Bikes.

I have been running renegades lately in small point games and it is very OP in anything under 1k points. First turn RELIABLE charges and decent damage from Black Mace Lord and Powerfist champ. I usually just pump out smites, warp speed (to cover the board quickly for a turn 3 fight), and diabolic strength in games.

What I am wondering is what marks are best for the bikers or if it even matters. Mine are all painted up Nurgle because of that whole 6th 7th edition thing ya know (yes I was one of those).

Renegades with a DP in same Detachment is Nice huh? He can advance and charge to?

Would renegade bikes be good in higher point games? How would you equip and use them? As renegades

Edited by Kimbo

Well, they have special weapons but aren't a special weapons aren't they ? :D

I get that you want to use them as pressure unit and hunter killers with guns!

Iron warriors would be my pick, that'll help with the loadouts you have in mind! It's aggressive, it's straight to the point, much like what you have in mind

Bonus, you can use their twin linked boltguns against units in cover, and that -1 will go a long way with such dakka!

Depends how you want to use them for :wink: ?

How would you use them most effectivly?

Flamers? Melta? Plasma?

Or do they do all roles as good?

I use MSU units because I really don't want to be losing any to morale phase. Right now I am running 2 Renegade Outrider detachments:

Lord on bike with Black Mace

3x units of chaos bikers with 2 PG and PF on champ

Sorcerer on bike with force sword, Warp Speed, and Diabolic Strength

3x units of chaos spawn (how many spawn per unit varies on the points lvl of the games)

I charge them all up the board together. The Lord rerolls those 1's from plasma overheat and the Sorcerer has to pick smart targets to buff (or lay down the smite smackdown). The chaos spawn shore up alot of weaknesses bikers have with high volume of weak attacks. This way I am basically excited to get stuck in combat with either hordes or vehicles (a black mace, 3 power fists, and a force sword should take out a chunk).

You could run assault weapons if you want to be able to advance and fire, I simply own all bikers with plasma. Flame throwers could be decent and so could melta guns, just depends on what you fight.

Would a MSU of Bikers be a good bodyguard for a Daemon Prince with wings? They have more than enough speed to stay in front of the DP while still most likely being in range of the reroll aura even if they both advance together. I'm thinking a melta biker squad in front of the DP to help take out AT threats or a flamer squad for massed infantry. You could even give them chainswords to tie up something in CC after they move. That charge after advance tactic would probably work well with Renegades but Alpha Legion would also be great for the added survivability, plus they can still close in and charge on turn 2 even if they advance turn 1.

Renegades with a DP in same Detachment is Nice huh? He can advance and charge to?

Would renegade bikes be good in higher point games? How would you equip and use them? As renegades

The neat trick with renegade bikers is that you can swap out your twin boltguns for special weapons and keep your chainswords that way. Take meltaguns or flamers since those are assault. Then just charge shooty units to tie them up with your t5.

The errata lets daemon princes use legion tactics.

I use my bikers with MoS and dbbl flamer combi flamer usually about 6 strong and delete/cripple any bubble wrap unit in the game with the double tap strat. They then either get blown off the board b/c the enemy is now rightfully scared of their awesomeness, or they go hunt back line stuff.

Since you're asking for how strong Biker units are in general....they aren't. They are one of the weaker units for their cost right now. However they are useable in less competetive games for sure.

Since you're asking for how strong Biker units are in general....they aren't. They are one of the weaker units for their cost right now. However they are useable in less competetive games for sure.

Really ? Well they are a fast breaching unit to distract the enemy.

And do little damage and are expensive. They don't do much breaching, but they do distract the enemy a little bit. Hence my earlier post to use them as utility unit.

Oh sorry missed that !

Yeah, it seems that most of the Chaos special units are more utilitarian than killy. Like all of them are variations of troops bullies.

In that case, the bikes do their job :D

Well maybe we are off-topic. 

I could argue that, if you really want to be competitve with a fast unit to take objective/threaten some vulnerable point in your opponent army : dont take bike. 

Take a Kharibis with 19 Noise Marines and a Lord for reroll Seekers. They are faster (with an Instrument of Chaos those beauty have a threatning range of 16+3D6".

They are far more vulnerable than Biker, but cost less, and are deadly as :cuss (the steed itself is as effective as a SM with chainsword, not to mention the rider). 

For biker i would stay with Iron warriors. Ignore covert + VotLW outsand the charge after advance if you want big squad of biker.

If you just want a MSU squad bike Renegates his better assuming you use your bike only for special weapon and engaging in close. 

I could argue that, if you really want to be competitve with a fast unit to take objective/threaten some vulnerable point in your opponent army : dont take bike. 

Take a Kharibis with 19 Noise Marines and a Lord for reroll Seekers. They are faster (with an Instrument of Chaos those beauty have a threatning range of 16+3D6".

They are far more vulnerable than Biker, but cost less, and are deadly as :censored: (the steed itself is as effective as a SM with chainsword, not to mention the rider). 

For biker i would stay with Iron warriors. Ignore covert + VotLW outsand the charge after advance if you want big squad of biker.

If you just want a MSU squad bike Renegates his better assuming you use your bike only for special weapon and engaging in close.

Yeah it's offtopic but I have to comment on that. Instead of Seeker take Fiends. More damage and two extremely good special rules that compliment the units utility role. :tongue.:

For Biker I'd really just go with Renegades. Their damage is too low for their cost even with Iron Warriors traits or any other really. Better improve on their utility role which mostly involves being fast and charging units. It's the one unit where I actually think the Renegade trait is good.

They are far more vulnerable than Biker, but cost less, and are deadly as :censored: (the steed itself is as effective as a SM with chainsword, not to mention the rider). 

Yeah it's offtopic but I have to comment on that. Instead of Seeker take Fiends. More damage and two extremely good special rules that compliment the units utility role. :tongue.:

For Biker I'd really just go with Renegades. Their damage is too low for their cost even with Iron Warriors traits or any other really. Better improve on their utility role which mostly involves being fast and charging units. It's the one unit where I actually think the Renegade trait is good.

Yeah was gonna comment seekers are OK but I find chaos spawn/beasts of nurgle/fiends of slaanesh/flesh hounds are better. Haven't tried screamers yet.